Need help with double cream

kaponga67, Oct 21, 3:24am
Hello there, I am 'new' here - i often post in general or pets and animals Anyway, I hope someone can help me. I am looking for a substitute for double cream or for someone to tell me where to get some. I made some 'burfi' from a website all about using condensed milk. I just assumed double cream was thickened cream but my mixture did not set. Can anyone help me! Thanks

davidt4, Oct 21, 3:37am
Double cream is not available in NZ.It has a higher fat content than NZ cream (about 48% compared with 38%), but unless the recipe is for something very delicately balanced (like a mousse or panna cotta) you can just use ordinary NZ cream instead.

Thickened cream is different - it has a lower fat content and is thickened with gelatine or flour.It's no good as a substitute.

Burfi is normally made from whole milk, not cream.What was the exact recipe!

kaponga67, Oct 21, 8:05pm
Thank you. It called for milk powder and the double cream. Yeah- halfway through the recipe I think I kinda worked out that it was from the UK!
Here is the recipe. I really like the thought of it, so if anyone has a better Kiwi recipe I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

200g (7oz) milk powder
150ml carton double cream
1tbsp butter or ghee
1tsp ground nutmeg
55g (2oz) pistachio nuts, chopped
397g can Carnation Condensed Milk

To finish 100g (3½oz) dark chocolate, melted
gold or silver leaf

Print >

Send to a friend

Method
1.Mix the milk powder and double cream in a bowl until it forms a thick and crumbly paste.
2.Heat the butter or ghee over a low heat for a couple of minutes, stir in the nutmeg and pistachio and toast for a few minutes. Add the cream mixture and the condensed milk; the mixture will be solid to start with and will soften as you continue to heat it. Keep stirring until the mixture starts to come away from the sides.
3.Pour into a non-stick tray and spread to a 2cm (¾") thickness. Spread over the melted chocolate and decorate with gold or silver leaf.
4.Allow to cool and then cut into square shapes.

davidt4, Oct 21, 9:38pm
I don't make Burfi because nobody I know likes it!Here's a link to a site which has a few recipes.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art19342.asp