Kiwi finger food for Japanese visitors

joyfuljoybell, Oct 15, 5:39am
My Students parents are coming to NZ next week and coming for lunch. I was wondering if any of you could give me some ideas as what to give them. I wanted something Kiwi and finger food.Thought might be nice to have a few bits of several things for them to try.Thank you

valentino, Oct 15, 5:59am
You answered your own question, platter with some finger foods, Japanese love seafood and Mussels will go very big perhaps as a seperate dish and still in their shells with a wee drizzle of tomato pasta sauce over them.

Keep other NZ seafoods seperate on a platter including smoked items.

They also just love nice basic foods and the simpler and fresher - the better, like salad foods.

leebee35, Oct 15, 8:06am
Try salmon on bilini's & cream cheese, Mini corn fritters + cream cheese / pesto + topped with finley cut up bacon.
Great some rare beef from the deli and top intocracker & brie cheese.
Meat balls & chilli sauce

joyfuljoybell, Oct 15, 10:16am
wowthank you for the suggestions.Any more!

ninascraft, Oct 21, 1:14am
It may seem stupid but ask the students first what the parents might eat.Ie Meat pastry, sweet cakes etc.If there is no food problems, I would probably make sausage rolls(mini sized) and the compulsory sauce.Finger sized sandwiches, with tasty fillings, or club sandwiches .Maybe a cheese ball and crackers. Stuffed eggs.And serve up a sponge cake, for after.Keep it simple and well presented.and very New Zealand.

antoniab, Oct 21, 1:16am
sausage rolls and tomato sauce! :)

jazzzy, Oct 21, 1:28am
asparagus rolls!

kinna54, Oct 21, 3:55am
I catered a lot for japanese visitors and parliamentary guests.
I was always asked to particularly make things with no dark meat, although chicken was acceptable.
Some of the favourites I did were salmon or tuna fish cakes, fish bites with sauce, the smoked oysters (all these fish products come in cans, and are relatively inexpensive.)
Cucumber sandwiches were always well received, we used to do cucumber, canned salmon and lettuce, with a light touch of sour cream to moisten the salmon. (japanese found salad dressing/mayo not to their taste, as it was too sweet.)
They also loved dip with rice crackers!
Fruit skewers with kiwi fruit, strawberries and seasonal fruits were always well received, and was always asked to serve crisp chilled apple juice on ice.
Hope that helps.

happybaby, Oct 21, 8:32am
paua patties, mini pavlova, whitebait patties sammies, vegemite scones, beetroot salad, lamb shanks, mussels, weetbix, roast beef with pumpkins/spuds/parsnips, turnip salad,.something simple that everyday kiwi would eat - nothing pretentious, just straight honest kiwi fare / hangi

katienz11, Oct 21, 9:32am
Kumara chips are popular in Japan, easy to make.

spongeypud, Oct 22, 2:37am
Curried eggs was always a favourite years ago when I was a kid and you had to take a plate, I did notice the ladies from the RSA still make them lol.