Easy choc eclair recipe, please share

bev00, Jul 22, 10:33am
I'm sorry but this is in imperial. I still have imperial measuring devices and haven't bothered to convert anything, but this recipe turns out perfectly for me every time.

CHOUX PASTRY
4oz Butter
1 cup Water
1 cup Flour (Use only High Grade Flour)
4 Eggs

Method:
1. Bring the Water and Butter to the boil over a moderate heat
2. Add sifted Flour to the Water and Butter while still over heat and beat hard with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms balls and leaves the sides of the pot
3. Cool till lukewarm
4, Add eggs, ONE AT A TIME (don't add them together), beating each one thoroughly. This keeps the mixture stiff. The final paste should be smooth and glossy.
(There are two ways to do this (a) you can beat the eggs in manually using a wooden spoon, or (b) you can transfer the mixture to a stand beater and let the machine do the work for you.)
5. Drop from a teaspoon, or pipe, onto a baking tray (I put baking paper on my tray)
6. Bake 20mins at 220C to rise and set the pastry then lower temp to 150C to crisp for 20-30mins.

Note: Only use high grade flour. If you use pure flour your choux with come out flat and doughy.

I fill mine with Creme Patisserie and ice with Chocolate Ganache but whipped cream and ordinary icing is perfectly acceptable, especially in NZ where cream is still abundant and cheap.

Quotebuzzy110 (69 )12:29 pm, Fri 22 Jul #3

duckmoon, Jul 22, 10:43am
This is my definition

Chocolate eclairs, long and thin, filled with cream and covered with chocolate icing

Cream puffs, round, filled with creme pasterie (sp) and covered with icing sugar.

Both made with choux pastry, which can also be used for savoury(and other items )

gardie, Jul 22, 6:34pm
Choux puffs filled with a Mexican type mince mix then topped with cheese and cooked till cheese melted!Yum.

bev00, Aug 18, 11:30am
CREME PATISSIEREfor filling

This is the recipe we use at cook school:

4 egg yolks
60g Caster sugar
10g plain flour
15g custard powder
250ml milk
1/4 tsp

Beat the yolks and sugar together then add the flour and custard powder and beat again until thick.

Scald the milk and add it slowly to the sweetened, starchy eggs, while whisking.
Return the mixture to a clean pot and gently bring to the boil over a medium heat. It will thicken quite suddenly so be careful and keep whisking it.
Add your vanilla at the end.

My version (which I think is better but I wouldn't presume to know better than actual chefs)

4 egg yolks
60g caster sugar
20g cornflour
3/4C milk
1/4 C cream
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (with seeds if you want)

And do the same thing but put the extract ( or a pod) in the milk and cream when you scald it. If you use a pod you'd obviously remove it before adding the milk to the eggs.
I think the cream makes it extra rich and I always like my custard made from cream so this is just what I do.

*You can put 100g of melted chocolate (couverture is suggested) in with the scalded milk for chocolate pastry cream.
* you can make a liqueur flavoured cream by changing out about 20-30ml of the milk for your choice of liqueur

Quotebill241 (184 )

amanda_simonp, Aug 19, 5:39am
I do the edmonds book too, so easy and what a hit!

daleaway, Aug 19, 5:53am
Mum made rather small choux puffs, then filled them with a cheese/asparagus sauce, for a chic party nibble. Served warm.

kazadoh, Oct 13, 7:02am
or are they called cream puffs!Want to give then ago for a birthday coming up soon:)

kazadoh, Oct 13, 7:02am
(sp) them a go

antoniab, Oct 13, 8:58am
Like profitiroles! My Mums got a awesome recipe, always turn out sweet, dont know why people think they are hard, you just have to stir the s**t out of them lol

kuaka, Oct 13, 10:31am
choux pastry - eclairs are the long ones, cream puffs or profiteroles are round ones, but basically the same mix (as far as I know).Like antoniab says, stir them to death.They are quite easy really.My recipe says to remove them from the oven when they look cooked, split them open to let the steam out and then pop them back in the oven for a couple of minutes to dry the insides.

marywea, Oct 13, 2:07pm
Choc eclairs from Edmonds. Mine is an oldbook but they are probably unchanged. Cook on baking paper.

gardie, Oct 13, 6:03pm
Might put these on to do list for today.They are quite an economical treat.

mackenzie2, Oct 13, 8:27pm
Add 100gms butter to a rapid boiling cup of water, when butter has melted add 1 cup of white flour, remove from heat and beat with a wooden spoon, the mixture will form a nice smooth ball. Cool for about 5 mins, than put mixture into a food processor, add 4 eggs one at a time, beat until smooth. Have oven preheated to 200 degrees, now either pipe of drop in teaspoon or tablespoon onto hot trays, leave room for swelling. Bake for about 25 - 30 mins DO NOT OPEN DO FOR THE FIRST 20 MINUTES!, Allow to cool then fill with whatever, (I like a caramel cream mixed with whipped cream, or ice cream with fruit sauce) Good luck

bev00, Nov 23, 11:23am
FRENCH CREAM FILLING:

Try this its a recipe I found in my MIL's cookbook one day.
sorry its not metric:
1oz flour,
1 egg yolk
2oz butter
1oz sugar
¾cup milk
¼tsp van essence
½cup whipped cream
pinch salt
Method:
mix flour to a paste with some of the milk.
In double boiler:
Heat remainder of milk, gradually stir in flour mix. Heat to boiling point.
Stir in sugar, salt, butter and egg yolk. Cook over water for 5mins.
Cool and add the van essence and whipped cream.

Chocolate: leave out the butter and add 2oz melted chocolate.

Quotecgvl (22 )12:16 pm, Tue 22 Nov #2

sarahb5, Nov 24, 3:30am
And remember to remove any uncooked pastry from the inside before you fill them

griffo4, Nov 24, 5:02am
Daleaway would you share your asparagus, cheese sauce recipe please

nik12, Nov 24, 7:44am
Hmmm, had never thought of doing savory ones, going to have to try that!
I have made them with 'non' high grade flour, and they still worked. they were just better with high grade.

indian-chief, Nov 24, 8:17am
Can you make them a couple of days before needed! How do you store them! Then is it best to fill and ice on day needed! Thanks

gilligee, Nov 24, 8:44am
I used to make a roux sauce and a tin of salmon which was a nice filling for a change.

cgvl, Nov 24, 9:43am
indian-chief, yes you can. My mother used to make about a week before xmas and once cold put them into a cake tin. Only once in 50+ years has she ever had them go off/mouldy.
Asparagus filling I make is a basic white sauce with asparagus added, if using tinned add a little of the juice.

wendalls, Nov 24, 11:53pm
Cant wait to make some. My hubby insists on buyingchocolate eclairs that taste like cardboard from the local bakery.
why do you have to use a wooden spoon for beating!
A friend made some with coffee icing recently. Yummo!