Frozen chicken meant for tonights dinner

tipsy_bl0nde, Oct 2, 8:29pm
Hi guys just looking for some advice. Partner was meant to put chicken on bench when he came to bed so id would be fairly defrosted by now. He forgot ofcourse so now have a frozen chook on the bench. What is the best way to get a good result! was thinking of putting in the crockpot but wondered if this would be ok from frozen!

lavender32, Oct 2, 8:33pm
I've done this twice before & both times ended up with a hairline crack in the bowl of my slowcooker.

tipsy_bl0nde, Oct 2, 8:36pm
bummer any other suggestions!

motorbo, Oct 2, 8:44pm
wouldnt it defrost on the bench today! then you could butterfly cut it and bbq or roast flat

tipsy_bl0nde, Oct 2, 8:46pm
i have it sitting in the sink in water at the moment but it is freezing today so not sure it will defrost easily

fifie, Oct 2, 9:11pm
Don't cook from frozen in C/P, Have you got a microwave! defrost in there rinse out the inside with cold water drain put in C/P on upturned saucer or plate and cook with your fav coating, or herbs and lemon, soy sauce honey coating etc.

mattdylan, Oct 2, 9:47pm
Use it tomorrow instead!

beaker59, Oct 2, 10:59pm
Interesting you say that I have roasted heaps of chickens from frozen with no issue. Just cook a little longer.

vintagekitty, Oct 2, 11:29pm
i'd defrost in the microwave first

scuba, Oct 2, 11:37pm
If you are roasting as long as you allow a bit of extra cooking time and cook it properly it will be fine- i have done it many times

tipsy_bl0nde, Oct 2, 11:58pm
what kind of extra cooking time scuba just so i can try and have things ready to go

bantamus, Oct 3, 12:04am
Soak in warm water. Cooking chickens from frozen, depending on quality of original bird can lead to salmonella and also very dark / bloodied meat around bones. I always thaw well first and use salt as a scourer in the insides as they always leave some shyte / innards in there and l aint eating that !

nik12, Oct 3, 11:08am
I cook everything from frozen in my crockpot - and in the oven. and we live on a farm and quite possibly have cast iron stomachs :-)
Must add though. can't see how defrosting in warm water, or on the bench actually is better than just chucking in slow cooker!
Defrost completely over a day or two in the fridge is the perfect answer apparently lol.