"special" Banoffee Pie

jennyfenny1, Sep 28, 5:55am
I have been given the task of making a banoffee pie for the boyfriend's boss on friday because it is his 50th birthday and that is apparently his favorite "cake". eeeeek! No pressure or anything, huh!

So i searched the recipe boards and other websites for different versions, but I am still not sure which way to go - base made of wine biscuits or malt or choc chip cookies. or is short crust pastry better!

Then there is the dilemma of using caramel condensed milk or making caramel myself from plain condensed milk etc. which tastes better!

I have never had banoffee myself, so i am really in the dark about this, and the boss is a connoisseur so im hoping to make a good impression!
any hints or tips or advise would be so greatly appreciated! TIA

sarahb5, Sep 28, 7:15am
The best ones I've had have always had a sweet shortcrust "case" - I've never made one though so can't comment on whether the caramel condensed milk is any different than the one you boil up yourself

petal1955, Sep 28, 7:21am
This is a Banoffie Pie recipe that I have made and have enjoyed!

BANOFFIE PIE

1 pkt wine biscuits (crushed)

120 grms melted butter

1 tin of Nestle Caramel Condensed Milk

2 bananas sliced

1-2 teaspoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon of Instant Coffee Powder

2 tablespoons plain yoghurt

200mls whipping cream

Chopped Walnuts and Chocolate Chips/Hail

Crush biscuits and add melted butter. Mix and place in a loose bottom pie plate and cook( 350F-180C) for 15-20 mins. Cool, then chill in fridge.

Spread on Caramel Condensed Milk and then add sliced bananas.

Whip together cream sugar and coffee powder and when cream is stiff - FOLD in yoghurt.

Spread over bananas and smooth the top. Decorate with walnuts and chocolate.

jodyw1, Sep 28, 8:25am
I love banoffee pie an I like pastry base an homemade caramel (that pre made stuff just doesn't taste as nice) it's like everything it really comes down to personal preference.

jennyfenny1, Sep 28, 9:31pm
Any advice about when I should make it! would it be ok to make the base and caramel the night before and add banana and cream next day or is it best all put together on the same day!

otterhound, Sep 29, 6:59am
It's fine made the day before and "dressed" when ready to go.=)

otterhound, Sep 29, 7:06am
Banoffee Pie

Base:
250 g finely crushed wheaten biscuits
125 g butter, melted
1/2 cup each self raising flour, desiccated coconut
1 egg, lightly beaten

Filling:
4 Tblsp golden syrup
1 tsp vanilla essence
395g tin condensed milk
2 bananas, sliced

Combine all base ingredients.Reserve 3/4 of a cup of it for the top, press remainder into a greased 20 - 22 cm flan dish.
Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
To make filling, combine the butter, golden syrup, vanilla essence and condensed milk.Cook over low heat until thick, stirring constantly.
Pour onto the flan base.Place the bananas on top, and cover with the reserved crumb mixture.
Bake for 30 - 40 minutes until golden and set.=)
Serves 6 - 8

chooky, Oct 1, 11:36am
I make mini ones as one of the desserts for Christmas. Sweet pastry sheets, mini muffen tins, tinned caramel, then freeze. Christmas day banana and cream. Yummy.

jed, Oct 1, 11:25pm
Yum chooky, will give that a go :-)

scootergirl, Oct 1, 11:41pm
If you want the easiest, quickest way to make one, it is just a packet of wine biscuits, approx 125 g butter, melted and mixed into biscuits.Press into a tin and leave in the fridge for a couple of hours.For the carmel, either use Highlander condensed milk and boil in the tin for approx 2 hours or just buy the Highlander carmel.If you make using the condensed milk, let it cool for a little while and then spread over the biscuit base.Let it cool (in the fridge), once cold, add sliced banana's, whipped cream (I add brandy or cognac to the cream before beating) and sprinkle chocolate flake on top.I make these all the time both mini size and large and people love it.Base and carmel can be made the day before and banana's etc added on the day you want to eat.