Cheese and Onion mix made with a little warm water

bonnie1970, Sep 27, 8:21am
how long would this keep in the fridge if it were in a sealed container! I have 1 fussy child who will only eat 1 sandwich each day with this in and I don't have time every morning to fluff around making the mix up. TIA

kinna54, Sep 27, 8:52am
should be okay for a couple of days. Raw or cooked onion! raw could be less shelf life.

elliehen, Sep 27, 9:20am
Alison Holst has recipes for 'one swipe' sandwich fillings in her School Lunches recipe book:

SAVOURY CHEESE SPREAD
Mix together 2 cups grated tasty cheese, 1/2 cup evaporated (unsweetened) condensed milk and half a packet onion soup mix, a few hourse before needed. (Mixture thickens on standing.)Refrigerate up to a week.

CHEESE & ONION SPREAD
Heat 1 cup water and a 30g packet onion soup mix together, stirring until thick.Remove from heat and add 2 cups grated cheese.Stir until cheese melts.Refrigerate up to a week.

TANGY CHEESE SPREAD
Melt 50g butter with 1-2 tsp flour and 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard in a pan, stirring all the time.Add 1/4 cup milk and stir until mixture bubbles and is smooth.Stir in 1 cup (about 100g) grated tasty cheese and 1/2 tsp vinegar, taking off heat as soon as cheese melts.Refrigerate up to a week.

nik12, Sep 27, 10:27am
One swipe sandwich spreads eh! Looks a lot like cheeseroll mixes to me ;-) Yum yum yum.

bonnie1970, Sep 27, 8:44pm
Thank you. these all sound great.

greerg, Sep 28, 12:35am
They are cheese roll type fillings but that doesn't stop them them being very handy to have in the fridge for a cheese toastie or toasted sandwich.