Best gourmet pizza base please

Page 2 / 3
knowsley, Oct 1, 9:06am
When using my pizza stone, I have the oven cranked up as hot as it will go, and have the stone heating in there for an hour before cooking. The pizzas cook in just a few minutes.

moreorless, Oct 1, 9:16am
Thanks elliehen thats great, and knowley nevermind, I will look into it further re American measurements.

vintagekitty, Oct 1, 9:57am
lol, that cauliflower pizza base is hardly a authentic recipe as uli is always bleating about, it sounds foul.

If you want a FANTASTIC ready made base, check these out in the supermarket chiller. The brand is Turkish bread wood fired pizza bases, and they are fat free, 100% natural, no suger, no preservatives, 100% yeast free and they taste fab. Are thin and crispy and cook in less than 10min's

moreorless, Oct 1, 10:56pm
Thanks Vintage, I have some in the freezer and are yet to try them, but will do. Thanks

purplegoanna, Oct 2, 1:29am
i like this pizza base, ive been using it since i saw it on tv a year or so ago now http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Recipes/Buck-s-Roasted-Vegetable-Chicken-Pizza

uli, Oct 4, 6:22am
Here we go:
Basic Italian Pizza Dough Recipe

It makes a noticeable difference in how this dough rises and bakes to a beautiful golden brown - so use lard and not one of the "modern" seed oils.

3 ½ cups wheat flour,
2 tablespoons yeast,
1 ¼ cups warm water,
1 tablespoon lard,
1 teaspoon salt,
1 teaspoon honey.

Dissolve the yeast in a large cup with a half cup of warm water.
Add 2 tablespoons of flour and the honey.
Leave the mixture in the cup to rise for half an hour in a warm place covered with a kitchen towel.

Next, form a mound with the flour and place the yeast "mix" in the middle.
Add the lard and warm water, a little at a time, and work with your fingers.
Knead all the ingredients for about ten minutes into a soft dough ball.

Place the dough in a bowl and let it rise for an hour and a half or until double in size, in a warm place while covered with a kitchen towel or plastic film.

Divide the “risen” dough into 3 equal parts and place in a covered “Tupperware” or similar covered container until ready to use. With well floured hands, hand-toss (or in an emergency - roll out with a rolling pin).

This recipe yields three 30 to 35cm diameter thin crust pizzas.

This recipe can be done in a kitchen mixer with a dough hook.
After the yeast has activated (risen), add all the ingredients in the mixer and mix on the lowest speed for 10 to 12 min.

Hope you like it!

uli, Oct 4, 6:23am
If you have the foresight to make your dough a few days in advance it will taste much nicer. You can keep it covered in the fridge for up to 5 days. It will produce a nice thin crust pizza - but won't be useful if you like one of those thick "bready" filling types.

uli, Oct 8, 7:32am
bump for moreorless

meegs35, Oct 8, 7:58am
I made pizza tonight with a thin crispy base which was fantastic. I heated the stone to as high as my oven would go and I ahve to say this was my best yet. If you search for 'crispy pizza base brown eyed baker' it will take you straight there. Brown Eyed baker is a blog I follow and her recipes are great. This one was fantastic and will be my go-to pizza base recipe. I got 3 large bases from the recipe.

cookessentials, Oct 8, 8:04am
The recipe you found ellie, translates to cauliflower pie.

elliehen, Oct 8, 9:42am

moreorless, Oct 8, 9:50am
Fab thanks Uli,
I have checked back a few times so thanks, it looks great, I had saved the page Knowsley put up but your recipe will suit what I want better.
I probably would make it in advance for convenience and would it freeze well it if I made a double batch! Thin base lover here, not fond of bread thick base. I have a kitchenaid/dough hook so I look forward to trying it, have not done so yet. Thanks again.

moreorless, Oct 8, 9:54am
Uli,
Can you tell me what kind of yeast and the brand you buy. I have seen the sachets and the granuals, what yeast do you suggest for the base, ta, yes novist here.

buzzy110, Oct 8, 10:17pm
And the word Pizza translate as vegetable pie. Lol.

uli, Oct 8, 10:24pm
I usually buy the 500g packs from the wholesalers - varying brands of dried yeast (because I also use it to feed the live food for my fish). Try and stay away from the Chinese brands though!

If I have a wheat sourdough going then I use that as it gives the dough that "typical" flavour even without having to store the dough over night in the fridge.

Of course the original Italian pizza was always made with sourdough - long before commercial yeast was available. As were all the Italian "yeast" Christmas cakes like Pannettone. It was very very involved and I have done it once or twice for the fun of it - but you can fill days with the many steps to get your wheat sourdough to a stage where it will lift a Pannettone dough - complete with dried fruit in it -six-fold!

I have never frozen yeast dough, but wouldn't think it will work very well - but try it out - maybe even freeze it already in shape on a tray!

The recipe above will keep in the fridge for several days, so I don't think you need to worry about freezing it. And it really only takes the time to let the yeast bubble up (10 minutes) and then to mix and knead the dough. Then it can go into the fridge until you want to use it. So maybe 20 minutes all up.

beaker59, Oct 8, 10:41pm
Uli many many years ago I worked during the uni holidays in a Pizza factory making frozen Pizza the yeast dough was partially cooked in a heated press before freezing as it then held its shape and didn't loose its "air" when thawing.

uli, Oct 8, 10:47pm
That's good to know beaker - thanks.

I have a wood fired oven outside my kitchen which I use in summer for pizzas and bread etc - so I usually just keep baking and then freeze the uneaten pizzas.

If I want to re-heat them I heat my gas oven to full bore (260 degrees) - then throw the partly defrosted pizza in for 3 to 5 minutes and it is as freshly baked (and still with the woodsmoke!). No time to dry out in that short hot burst.

liamjosh, Oct 9, 1:29am
\

These are great for simple pizzas to throw in the kids lunchboxes, they love them.

uli, Oct 9, 4:34am
buzzy110 wrote: . Farrah is a brand name and they make wraps in many different flavours. They are full of yummy stuff like preservative, colour and similar, however, for a really thin pizza base which can be easily cooked on a hot plate or in a largish frying pan, (if you know the tricks) then this is what I choose, especially when I am cooking for people who don't give a rat's fig what they stick in their mouths.

liamjosh wrote: These are great for simple pizzas to throw in the kids lunchboxes, they love them. liamjosh (264 )2:29 pm, Sun 9 Oct #43

OK - the title of this thread is:
"Best gourmet pizza base please"

And it seems that the above is falling very far of that ideal .
"great for simple" - whatever you might call "pizzas" maybe - but surely not "gourmet"!

buzzy110, Oct 9, 5:20am
Gourmet in here is like beauty, it is in the "eye of the beholder" or in this case, "the tastes of the eater".

malcovy, Oct 9, 8:43am
I have made and eaten the cauliflower pizza and it's delicious and I highly recommend that you try it.I used ordinary cheese and oregano and didn't bother with fennel.

moreorless, Oct 9, 8:46am
Hey thanks Uli for the info, and sounds great you have an outdoor pizza oven, friends have one and the pizza's out of them are divine.

purplegoanna, Oct 9, 10:59pm
ooh ill have to try this im in the process of building a pizza oven myself,.any other yummy pizza oven recipes or hints Uli! ive brought a chicken bric for it so hopefully itll work.

buzzy110, Oct 10, 2:05am
uli wrote:

There is a very special Italian recipe called "Torta di Cavolfiore" - not many people know this . but here is the recipe and this is yeast free, wheat free, baking powder free, gluten free:

Ingredients:
1 cup cooked, grated cauliflower
1 egg
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp parsley

Directions:
Preheat oven to 250 degrees C.
Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray or use baking paper.
In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella.
Press evenly onto the pan.
Sprinkle with oregano and parsley.

Bake at 250 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Remove the pan from the oven.

Add desired pizza toppings (sauce, cheese, etc.) and place under a broiler at high heat until cheese is melted.

This is an interesting recipe. I had a French chef visit one day. He stayed for lunch and said he'd cook so I let him free in my kitchen. I had a bowl of freshly cooked lentils. He made a base, exactly like this only he used the lentils instead of cauliflower. I wonder where he got the idea from!

uli, Oct 10, 10:13pm
I think it is a very common base recipe for gluten free pies. You can use almost anything, courgettes, cauli, lentils etc - as long as you have enough eggs and cheese to make it stick together.