How do I store eggs long term!

guzzijimbo, Sep 18, 4:19am
My geese are laying eggs - YUM - but as one egg is equal to 3 large hens eggs, I can only eat / bake use so many eggs in a week!Are there any ways I can store / freeze (!) the eggs for use later on!Thanks in advance for advice.Cheers

seniorbones, Sep 18, 4:31am
In the olden days! there used to be a presevative for sale, it was like rawleighs ointment! greasy and my mil used to rub her eggs with it and they kept for ages, but they could only be used for baking. Sell them at your gate!

lilyfield, Sep 18, 5:41am
separate them and freeze in small manageable quantities which once defrosted can be used like fresh eggs for baking and omelets etc.

davidt4, Sep 18, 6:08am
Oddly enough we were discussing this last night.There was a substance called isinglass which was used to preserve eggs during the depression, and it was derived from fish albumen.There was also a system called buttering, which involved coating the eggs in butter; the eggs were regarded as having a good flavour when used in baking.

jessie981, Sep 18, 6:18am
uli says
You can preserve eggs in Water Glass (Sodium Silicate). They get packed into a container (clean eggs only - do NOT wash!), with the small ends down and the wide ends up (that is where the air bubble is, so that goes up) then add 10 to 12 liters of boiled cooled water which has 1 liter of Sodium Silicate added. Keep in a cool place - will last for months.

The eggs will have runny yolks though after a few months and are usually only used for baking or quiches, frittatas etc.

You can just as well break them open, mix with a fork and freeze in quantities you would use for baking or cooking.

I used to have 4 to 5 mixed eggs in a small container for cakes and 12 in bigger containers for quiches, frittatas etc.

Quoteuli (587 )9:24 pm, Sat 25 Sep #7
Check out Googel. Remember neighbour used Ovoline that she rubbed over eggs & stored in a dark cupboard

___ellajac___, Sep 18, 6:22am
I can remember helping my Grandma preserve eggs with isinglass - she kept them in a kerosene tin in the pantry (obviously not one which had been used for kerosene).

guzzijimbo, Sep 18, 6:49am
Thanks guys - I'll try the seperating and freezing methodcheers :)

jbsouthland, Sep 18, 7:10am
I read somewhere recently youlightly beat them and freeze for omelettes scrambled eggs and baking .just write how many eggs are in each sealed container .edit to say they weren't seperated.

mackkas, Sep 18, 8:05am
With my chook eggs, I beat them until they were just mixed then froze them in various size containers. Used one for scrambled eggs the other day, just thawed it and beat it again and they turned out perfect. I was pleasantly surprised as I hadn't frozen eggs before.

uli, Sep 18, 8:10am
WOW - in which year did I write the above (post#5) I wonder!

Anyway - I reckon the easiest way is to freeze if you have a freezer.

Otherwise keep turning them. They last about 2 to 3 months without refrigeration (they did on my boat at 30 or more degrees C)IF you turn them daily so the yolk is not sticking to the shell and starts rotting.

You can also turn the eggs to making more geese - then eat the geese later!

mwood, Sep 22, 10:42am
ha ha - learnt a new trick (by mistake)- yes Virgina you can freeze whole eggs in the shell ! - ok the shell cracks - no big deal and they unfreeze ok - just chuck them in a bowl -and it's easier to take the shell off before they are fully defrosted - I even put 6 in the microwave shell and all for 2 minute to hurry them up:-)

buzzy110, Sep 22, 9:06pm
Was watching Nigella last night and she freezes her spare egg whites in plastic bags. Last night she defrosted 4 and made pavlova with them and it turned out perfectly. I reckon you learn something new every day. If I hadn't of see it with my own eyes I would have doubted that defrosted eggs were as good as fresh.

uli's advice is spot on.