Easy to digest meal ideas please

courtney2004, Sep 16, 4:27am
We are having to give dad food that is easy to diagest so I am wondering about tonight having Fish but wondering about Fish pie with a potato topping! He loves his red meat but! a bit stuck for ideas honestly so any help would be great. and also tips on which foods to stay away from for him.

cookessentials, Sep 16, 4:43am
I think the fish pie would be nice for him.

buzzy110, Sep 16, 5:51am
Sometimes it is combinations of foods that are hard to digest rather than the individual foods themselves. I have learned from hard and painful experience that high fat, high carb combinations are hardest for me to digest followed, to a much lesser extent by protein and carbohydrates together. So if it were me I'd try to give less of one part of the combination - e.g. less fat with the carbs or less carbs with the protein, etc.

Don't even consider giving him pulses unless you know how to prepare them to neutralise the enzyme inhibitors in them. Cabbage and any other vegetable that is high in cellulose is incredibly hard on the digestive system, even in healthy people. Once again correct preparation is vital.

Hope your dad gets better soon.

courtney2004, Sep 16, 6:08am
Thanks I have been making tea for us all tonight with trying to not be to loud as he was asleep on the couch. Hes awaiting surgery for Gallbladder removal but the doctor gave us all a fright last night saying that he does not fit the normal gallbladder inflammanation type so now he has to go on Monday for a heap of tests. Its hard for us mum has to carry on with the younger kids in the family I am lucky to work from home here but its hard to see him so not him self this is the first time ever hes been like this. Its fishpie for tea he woke up and said "oh that smells nice" and went to look in the oven! all good he must feel like food not alike the last 2-3 days where he could not cope with food.

elliehen, Sep 16, 6:52am
courtney, when you're at the hospital on Monday, why not ask for the hospital dietician's hand-out sheet of recommended dietary requirements for your father's gallbladder problems!

There's lots on the web, but it's often very misleading and sometimes frightening to collect medical information there because it's a one-size-fits-all description and not tailored to the individual.

leebee35, Sep 16, 10:45am
When I had a wee op on my tummy.I ate:
scrabbled eggs
Mashed potatoes . ( KFC with gravyfab,,)
Jellie
Ice cream
Soups
tinned apple sauce

I was in pain and recovery so food was not on my mind.so all of the above were great for me. I'm sure there was lot of other stuff. memory is going now.