Pet Mince What do you add to yours

Page 1 / 2
whiskey13, Sep 12, 1:24pm
Brought some pet mince for our wee foxy and was just wondering how people cook their mince what veges and other things do you add. Mac is a very fussy eater, he just recently has started eating pumpkin and whenever I'm picking fresh peas in the pod from the garden, he is right there eating them straight out of the pod, so i guess these 2 veges will go in. Any more ideas please. Countdown have 2kilos pet mince for $5 so i thought I'd try him on something different

cookessentials, Sep 12, 6:40pm
We only have cats and they get what ever is the cheapest ( usually) at the time. Sometimes gravy beef, sometimes rump, as it is sometimes cheaper than gravy beef. I dont mince it though. Misty our youngest is a fussy eater too, however, she loves premium mince, steak, avacado and ble cheese and salmon! so "hangs about" when ever I am preparing any of those LOL.

fifie, Sep 12, 9:43pm
Have a little malteeze/bichon cross and he loves the pet chicken mince,he eats it raw with a nice raw chicken bone to munch on, or I make him up a brew of chicken mince, pumpkin, carrots, mixed vegs what ever i have when doing it sm teaspoon chicken stock, boil till vegs tender last 5-7 mins add little rice. Cool strain off juice keep some, mash vegs up a little as hes not big on veg chunks lol add some juice to slop it up a bit and thats it done he loves it. Also make him this with beef mince and tsp beef stockin it which he likes as well, were lucky he's a good little eater.

hezwez, Sep 12, 9:58pm
Just remember onions are poisonous.

wildebeest, Sep 13, 12:10am
where do you get pet mince from! or is it just the cheapest mince!

chicco2, Sep 13, 1:34am
Feed it raw, dogs and cats dont need cooked food, try and feed them as they would eat it in the wild.Raw chicken necks abd frames are the most popular here. Excellent, natural tooth brushes too.

sqiff, Sep 13, 2:40am
I buy my pet chicken mince from The Mad Butcher and then cook it up with any veges I have, carrot,silverbeet, pumpkin and also add rice with a little vegemite or chicken stock. I do quite alot and put it into containers and pop it in the freezer. I find it easy to chop the veges in the food processor.

whiskey13, Sep 13, 2:58am
Mac has a habit of eating around the veges he doesn't like and leaving them in his bowl.I suppose if all veges were put throu a mouli then he wouldn't know lol
Edited to add. Thanks for all your replies

imrae1, Sep 13, 5:13am
I make a large pot of vegetable soup and freeze in small amounts to add to Raw chicken or beef. and a chicken neck for pudding

chooky, Sep 13, 5:41am
We have 2 labs. I buy the pet mince, add mixed veges, onions, heaps of garlic, cook up rice and add to it. Sometimes add a couple of eggs. They just love it. I have always used onions and our oldest is 7.

panicky, Sep 13, 5:46am
Onions and garlic contain thiosulphate, the chemical that makes them toxic foods for dogs.
If you feed onions or garlic to him regularly, his red blood cells may weaken and literally fall apart.
The thiosulphate can reach toxic, even deadly levels, if he eats too much of either food.
Without treatment, severe anemias and death can result from overeating these toxic foods.
Humans have an enzyme that allows us to digest onions and garlic (although some people do have digestive problems with them).
All dogs (and cats) lack that enzyme.

raine06, Sep 13, 5:54am
What do I feed with raw pet mince to my animals!

Just the mince, nothing more, just RAW mince.

chooky, Sep 13, 7:08am
Thats funny. We were told garlic was a healthy way of treating feas. I had a bishon who died when he was 14yrs old of cancer and he was always given garlic for fleas.

pickles7, Sep 13, 7:16am
What about the dog roll that has a lot of garlic in it. Is it a flavouring rather than the, garlic bulb . My Daughters dog will only eat that roll.
I often put a wee bit of onion in the mince when I cook it for the dogs, I guess I will not be doing that again. Thanks, for that.

lythande1, Sep 13, 8:15am
I buy cat meat from Jimbos - direct not the supermarket, not the minced stuff, whole horse and kidney. Cut it up into biggish chunks, mix it and freeze into portions.
They live on it more or less, plus a few cat biccies for any nutrients they might miss. Way cheaper than anything else. Jimbos deliver free here.

hezwez, Sep 13, 8:44am
x1
Our latest newsletter from the vet also cautioned against grapes and raisins, both being toxic to animals, like onions. But they don't sound too compatible with mince anyway.

whiskey13, Sep 13, 1:24pm
Brought some pet mince for our wee foxy and was just wondering how people cook their mince what veges and other things do you add. Mac is a very fussy eater, he just recently has started eating pumpkin and whenever I'm picking fresh peas in the pod from the garden, he is right there eating them straight out of the pod, so i guess these 2 veges will go in. Any more ideas please. Countdown have 2kilos pet mince for $5 so i thought I'd try him on something different

fifie, Sep 13, 9:43pm
Have a little malteeze/bichon cross and he loves the pet chicken mince,he eats it raw with a nice raw chicken bone to munch on, or I make him up a brew of chicken mince, pumpkin, carrots, mixed vegs what ever i have when doing it sm teaspoon chicken stock, boil till vegs tender last 5-7 mins add little rice. Cool strain off juice keep some, mash vegs up a little as hes not big on veg chunks lol add some juice to slop it up a bit and thats it done he loves it. Also make him this with beef mince and tsp beef stockin it which he likes as well, were lucky he's a good little eater.

whiskey13, Sep 14, 2:58am
Mac has a habit of eating around the veges he doesn't like and leaving them in his bowl.I suppose if all veges were put throu a mouli then he wouldn't know lol
Edited to add. Thanks for all your replies

raine06, Sep 14, 5:54am
What do I feed with pet mince to my animals!

Just the mince, nothing more, just RAW mince.

hezwez, Sep 14, 8:44am
Our latest newsletter from the vet also cautioned against grapes and raisins, both being toxic to animals, like onions. But they don't sound too compatible with mince anyway.

leebee35, Sep 14, 10:41am
Gee thanks for the advice - website looks great.Horse sounds horrid though.

rocky92, Sep 15, 9:39pm
I feed 'mighty mix' to my work dogs, it has garlic, kelp, cider vinegar & meat to name a few ingredients, their coats look great.They also get a few eggs when I've got far too many.

pickles7, Sep 16, 5:17am
Well my dogs are going to eat spicy sausage for there dinner tonight.
They are a little too hot with chili, but having tested them with a little bit , I feel they will manage. I forgot to get some meat for them, so they will have to make do. I do have dried food for them as well.

carter19, Sep 16, 7:28am
I think pet mince is of very poor quality. Too much fat and gristle. I buy regular mince and mix it with cooked brown rice and mixed veges. Bith dogs love ir and it is good enough to eat myself.