citrus preserves

wineo, Mar 23, 5:00am
citrus preserve (Mandarin) recipiesplease

st_allie, Mar 23, 5:43am
I have a recipe for cordial if you like. . I have used it for lemons/grapefruit and mandarins

wineo, Mar 23, 10:20pm
thanks st_allie, I want to either marinate and preserve, or make a jam thanx

cookessentials, Mar 23, 10:54pm
Preserved lemons.
10 lemons, scrubbed
250g coarse salt
1 bay leaf
2-3 cloves
1 stick cinnamon

Cut lemons as if to quarter but leave intact at base. Stuff each lemon with
a tablespoon salt. Pack lemons into sterilised 1 litre jars. Scatter pieces
of bay leaf, cloves and cinnamon shards over lemons. Top with boiled water
and seal. Leave for at least 3 weeks. When using, discard flesh and finely
slice rind.

cookessentials, Mar 23, 10:57pm
Mandarins

Types:
Satsumas: Very sweet, seedless, medium sized, free skinned
Clementines: Small, very orange, few seeds, very sweet

Canning: To extend the season of mandarins, they can be preserved as well. Peel, separate the segments, pack in jars with a sugar syrup (I add a touch of rose water) and be sure to process in a simmering hot water bath (30 minutes for pints, 35 minutes for quarts).

For desserts, use your syrup preserved mandarines over pound cake or ice cream with sprinkles of orange liqueur. Mandarin orange juice is good plain or blended with ice cream for a cool refresher.

Mandarins can also be used in marmalades, sauces, ciders or glazes or use the delicious segments topped on a spinach salad.

Rock-salted Tangerines

If you add extra lemon juice to up the acid for preserving, you can bottle your tangerines in the same fashion as salt preserved lemons. Then you can use them for savory dishes (omitting the salt in your recipes) like duck l’orange, chinese orange beef, minced meat pies, and spicy lamb tagines. I also chop them finely and mix with a black olive marinade for chicken or fish, and bbq sauces.

cookessentials, Mar 23, 10:58pm
The above is from here: http://stitchandboots. wordpress.com/2009/04/21/how-to-preser
ve-citrus/

indy95, Mar 23, 11:22pm
Wineo, you could use any lemon honey/curd/butter recipe and just substitute mandarins or perhaps you might like to try this recipe from the AWW Preserves book.

Mandarin Marmalade

12 medium (1 1/4 kg) mandarins
1 1/2 litres water
1 3/4 kg sugar (approx)
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup Cointreau (optional, meant to strengthen flavour)

Peel mandarins, removing pith. Finely slice rind into strips and chop flesh. Tie any seeds in a piece of cloth and add with rind and flesh to water. Cover and leave 12 hours.

Bring to boil in a large pan and simmer, covered, about 30 mins or until rind is soft. Discard bag of seeds.

Measure fruit mixture and allow 1 cup of sugar for each cup of fruit. Stir without boiling until sugar is dissolved then add lemon juice and boil, uncovered, without stirring until setting point is reached. You can add the Cointreau either before or after boiling.

Stand about 10 mins then stir before putting into jars. Makes about 7 cups.

red2, Mar 24, 12:01am
if you like lemoncillo you can make this with manderins instead of lemons

wineo, Dec 2, 5:51am
Thank you all so much, I will now have to choose, all ideas are great