Chinese/asian recipes!

destiny21, Sep 4, 10:43pm
Anyone have any yum ones to share or any good cookbooks, want to start cooking these from scratch rather than just buying a packet.

davidt4, Sep 4, 11:02pm
Here's an easy one to get you started.

Spicy Chicken with Cashew Nuts

2 tablespoons peanut oil or coconut oil
l2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1/2 small onion, cut into halves

6-8 finger-length dried red chilies, rinsed, seeded and cut into halves

1/2 cup roasted cashew nuts,

8 oz chicken, cut into small cubes

1 spring onion, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-in lengths

Sauce:
1 teaspoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce

1 teaspoon fish sauce

1/4 teaspoon sugar or to taste

2 tablespoons water

Heat up a wok and add the oil. When the oil is heated, add the garlic, onion, dried red chilies and stir-fry until fragrant or when you smell the spicy aroma of the chilies. Add the cashew nuts and follow with the chicken. Stir-fry the chicken until the surface turns opaque. Add all the ingredients for the Sauce into the wok and continue to stir-fry until the chicken is cooked. Stir-in the scallion, dish out and serve immediately with steamed rice.

destiny21, Sep 5, 2:59am
sounds yum but have never seen/used dried red chillis

davidt4, Sep 5, 3:07am
You'd better tell us what ingredients you are willing to use.Dried chillies are a pretty important part of SE Asian and Chinese cooking.

destiny21, Sep 5, 4:05am
LOL I never said I won't use them, I said I have never seen or used them i.e where do I get them from!

buzzy110, Sep 5, 4:08am
What part of NZ do you live in! Save us looking up your profile.

davidt4, Sep 5, 4:17am
I didn't realise that your statement was intended to be a question.You can buy all kinds of dried chillies at an Indian or Chinese or Thai food market.As a rule the larger they are the milder they are.

uli, Sep 5, 4:26am
Or you can even buy chilli powder in your normal supermarket.
Of course you have no idea how hot or "cold" it will be.

davidt4, Sep 5, 4:28am
I've just noticed a typo.This should read 2 cloves of garlic.

destiny21, Sep 6, 2:57am
thanks guys, I am in Dunedin. I will try your recipe david, I love cashew nuts!

fifie, Sep 6, 10:02pm
destiny21 wrote:
LOL I never said I won't use them, I said I have never seen or used them i.e where do I get them from![/quote. Is a store in stafford street called Sew Hoys in Dunedin great for asian cooking ingredients. Try davidt's asianrecipes they are yummy.

destiny21, Sep 7, 2:08am
thanks fifie, will go there. Bought ingredients for Davids recipe today, can't wait to try!