Frozen Stir fry

catlover28, Aug 19, 10:26pm
I bought some frozen stir fry (pams) which had chicken included. I fried it up but by the time it was hot and ready the chciken had reduced to mush. What went wrong!

buzzy110, Aug 20, 1:38am
Probably because you bought frozen when fresh is better.

However, I wonder if you defrosted the mix before starting out. Maybe you were supposed to cook it from frozen .

.Or you overcooked it. Stirfried veges are the ultimate fast food. Get your wok/pan and oil quite hot, but not smoking. Par cook the meat and remove. Add more oil and bring back to hot. Throw in the vegetables that take the longest and quickly stir around, when the wok is back to temperature, throw in the rest of the vegetables and stirfry enough to heat and coat the vegetables in oil, add the meat and chicken stock, (salt if your stock is not already salted) or water and salt, put the lid on, bring to the boil and then it is just about ready. Maybe cook for a minute or two longer. Thicken with a bit of cornflour mixed with water and add soy (if that is what you want to add).

nik12, Aug 20, 2:28am
The beef one is slightly better. but you're getting what you pay for lol, it's really processed frozen mush. I tip sweet and sour all over it, add some udon noodles and it is quite tasty.

otterhound, Aug 20, 10:33pm
I've tried the Watties International Stir Fry mix - frozen - and actually really like it.It only has vegies so you can add whatever meat or flavouring that takes your fancy.This time of year it's not that much more expensive than buying fresh as it has capsicum etc in it which cost a fortune at the moment!It's also SO easy it's become one of the "I can't be bothered cooking" dinners!

rainbowpride, Aug 20, 10:42pm
I have used both and you should cook from frozen at quite a high heat and I love the lamb one with a bit of mint jelly put in right at the end mmmmmmm

buzzy110, Aug 21, 1:38am
Probably because you bought frozen when fresh is better.

However, I wonder if you defrosted the mix before starting out. Maybe you were supposed to cook it from frozen .

.Or you overcooked it. Chinese style stir fried veges are the ultimate fast food. Get your wok/pan and oil quite hot, but not smoking. Par cook the meat and remove. Add more oil and bring back to hot. Throw in the vegetables that take the longest and quickly stir around, when the wok is back to temperature, throw in the rest of the vegetables and stirfry enough to heat and coat the vegetables in oil, add the meat and chicken stock, (salt if your stock is not already salted) or water and salt, put the lid on, bring to the boil and then it is just about ready. Maybe cook for a minute or two longer. Thicken with a bit of cornflour mixed with water and add soy (if that is what you want to add).

nik12, Aug 21, 2:28am
The beef one is slightly better. but you're getting what you pay for lol, it's really processed frozen mush. I tip sweet and sour all over it, add some udon noodles and it is quite tasty.

dimples4, Aug 21, 3:32am
I use Pams stir fry with the meat as a fast meal when in a hurry. I add a jar of Sweet and Sour sauce while it is cooking or it is dry. And I also cook some 2 minute noodles to have with it. I like the chicken one the best and then the lamb one. I cook it in the non-stick electric frying pan with the lid on and it stays moist.

imn, Aug 21, 3:59am
I use the chicken one when we're in a hurry. Only time the chicken turned to mush was when it was all stuck together. while your cooking it, make sure you separate the chicken. should be in strips.sure its not 100 % 'real'chicken but if you cook it right, its actually nice. I add rice and make it a fried rice dish. no complaints yet.

otterhound, Aug 21, 10:33pm
I've tried the Watties International Stir Fry mix - frozen - and actually really like it.It only has vegies so you can add whatever meat or flavouring that takes your fancy.This time of year it's not that much more expensive than buying fresh as it has capsicum etc in it which cost a fortune at the moment!It's also SO easy it's become one of the "I can't be bothered cooking" dinners!

imn, Aug 22, 3:59am
I use the chicken one when we're in a hurry. Only time the chicken turned to mush was when it was all stuck together. while your cooking it, make sure you separate the chicken. should be in strips.sure its not 100 % 'real'chicken but if you cook it right, its actually nice. I add rice and make it a fried rice dish. no complaints yet.