What the most tasty way to cook brussell sprouts

Page 1 / 2
mich1976, Aug 19, 1:28am
Looking for different ways to cook brussell sprouts. Any ideas out there :-)

davidt4, Aug 19, 1:34am
My current favourite is this:

500g Brussels Sprouts, trimmed and quartered
40g butter
100 g feta, cubed
salt and pepper

Boil the sprouts in salted water for about 5 minutes or until just tender.Drain well and return to the pan with the butter.Toss to coat in butter, add feta and seasoning and mix gently.Serve hot or warm.

zappi, Aug 19, 1:39am
steamed and then garlic and butter mixed through.

lx4000, Aug 19, 1:47am
served with a roast and gravy!

lythande1, Aug 19, 1:48am
Place in a little butter, saute gently for a few minutes. Pour butter onto plate, discard sprouts.

mich1976, Aug 19, 1:52am
Thanks for all the ideas :-)

davidt4, Aug 19, 2:02am
I meant to say as well that I've tried dressing sprouts with extra virgin olive oil and it doesn't complement them at all;it seems to emphasise the bitter grassy flavours.Butter is best.

linette1, Aug 19, 2:19am
Thanks david,will try that.

cantab29, Aug 19, 5:01am
Cut ends off brussel sprouts, cut in half and then finely chop.Cook some chopped onion and bacon in butter til onion softened, add the chopped sprouts, more butter and keep stirring.I sometimes add a bit of hot water so they don't stick.If you have it put some fresh thyme in as well and cook til still a little crunchy but cooked.

margyr, Aug 19, 5:11am
I like them roasted as well, just chuck them in with the other vege for about 15 mins.

noelinevc, Aug 19, 5:28am
Brussel Sprouts with Hazelnuts and Black Pepper Butter
Ingredients:
Black peppercorns 1/2 teaspoon
Butter40g - softened
Brussels sprouts 500g
Olive oil 1 teaspoon
Hazelnuts 70g (1/2 cup)- coarsely chopped
Chicken or vegetable stock 2 tablespoons
salt to taste

Method:

Crush the black peppercorns in a mortar and pestle and then combine in a small bowl with the softened butter.
Refrigerate until needed.
Cut a small slice from the stalk end of each brussel sprout to help separate the leaves.
Carefully pull off the outer leaves of the sprouts and finely slice the tight centres. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the hazelnuts.
Sauté for 1-2 minutes until toasted.
Add the brussel sprouts and stock and sauté for a further 1-2 minutes
Season with salt.
Remove from the heat and toss through black pepper butter.
Serve.

shop-a-holic, Aug 19, 5:58am
Mine's very similar, but I cook the Sprouts whole beforehand in Chicken Stock once I've peeled them. For intensive bacon flavour, use Pancetta or English Speck and cut into lardons.

mich1976, Aug 19, 6:19am
Wow, thank you for all the great ideas. I cant wait to try them :-)

nik12, Aug 19, 9:42am
+1 :-)

jan2242, Aug 19, 9:45pm
My favourite is sliced thinly and cooked in butter with garlic and bacon.

mich1976, Aug 20, 1:51am
Fantastic, thank you :-)

davidt4, Aug 20, 2:02am
I meant to say as well that I've tried dressing sprouts with extra virgin olive oil and it doesn't complement them at all;it seems to emphasise the bitter grassy flavours.Butter is best.

cantab29, Aug 20, 5:01am
Cut ends off brussel sprouts, cut in half and then finely chop.Cook some chopped onion and bacon in butter til onion softened, add the chopped sprouts, more butter and keep stirring.I sometimes add a bit of hot water so they don't stick.If you have it put some fresh thyme in as well and cook til still a little crunchy but cooked.

shop-a-holic, Aug 20, 5:58am
Mine's very similar, but I cook the Sprouts whole beforehand in Chicken Stock once I've peeled them. For intensive bacon flavour, use Pancetta or English Speck and cut into lardons.

leebee35, Aug 20, 11:41am
You cut a crisscross on the end and add 1/2 a cap / nip of GIN to the water. does the trick!
( Maybe you drink the rest of the gin so them you still cant taste them )lol.

No it does work.Bombay is the best

patsprat, Aug 21, 12:13am
Trim the sprouts and leave whole, steam or boil them lightly, about 3 - 4 minutes only, then drain and cut in half. They should still be bright green and firm. Saute a couple of chopped bacon rashers in a little butter, add a tablespoon or so of pine nuts and when the bacon is crispy toss the partly cooked sprouts in with them and jumble them all together. Lots of freshly ground black pepper and perhaps a pinch of sugar to help with caramelising. Yum!Just don't overcook the sprouts, yellow is yukky!

blt10, Aug 21, 12:32am
I can't remember which chef on tv made it or the ingredients used as I caught the tail end of the showlast week but he stuffed them with goodies and they looked delectable.

auntlb, Aug 21, 1:31am
I cook them in chciken stock and then when just about done top them with sour cream and freshly ground black pepper and grill until just golden

patsprat, Aug 22, 12:13am
Trim the sprouts and leave whole, steam or boil them lightly, about 3 - 4 minutes only, then drain and cut in half. They should still be bright green and firm. Saute a couple of chopped bacon rashers in a little butter, add a tablespoon or so of pine nuts and when the bacon is crispy toss the partly cooked sprouts in with them and jumble them all together. Lots of freshly ground black pepper and perhaps a pinch of sugar to help with caramelising. Yum!Just don't overcook the sprouts, yellow is yukky!

blt10, Aug 22, 12:32am
I can't remember which chef on tv made it or the ingredients used as I caught the tail end of the showlast week but he stuffed them with goodies and they looked delectable.