Red cabbage

motorbo, Aug 17, 6:15am
apart from coleslaw.how do you cook or serve!

shop-a-holic, Aug 17, 6:17am
Shred finely; cracked pepper; butter and wholegrain mustard. Zap in microwave :-)
Add chopped bacon; kumera and a splash of orange juice for a hot side dish.

bill241, Aug 17, 6:47am
I braise it with apple and caramelised onion, and some nutmeg and butter. the braising liquid is balsamic vinegar.

motorbo, Aug 17, 6:59am
is that two seperate recipes!

i had some i made into coleslaw then of course the cold hit and i didnt wanna eat it, it was cabbage, spring onions and grated carrot, i cooked a whole red onion in olive oil,pan fried the colelsaw mix adding ginger then a small amount of cooked rice, and some peas.delish as a side dish and tommorrow its lunch!

245sam, Aug 17, 7:30am
motorbo, this is how we enjoy having red cabbage.

SPICED RED CABBAGE
½-1 firm red cabbage
1 onion
1 medium cooking apple
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp butter
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp each of cinnamon and ground nutmeg
⅛ tsp ground cloves
1 tsp vinegar
shake of white pepper
1 bay leaf
½ cup water
2 tsp cornflour

Cut the cabbage into long fine shreds. Chop the onion and apple. Put into the pan with all the remaining ingredients, except the cornflour.
Cook for about ½ hour, stirring occasionally, drain a little if necessary, then thicken with cornflour and simmer for 5 minutes.
Serve with e.g. lightly fried sliced onions, thick apple sauce, potatoes and any cooked meat.
Serves 6.:-))

motorbo, Aug 17, 7:45am
hey sam is this sweet way to serve cos i found adding ginger to my mix its very sweet

245sam, Aug 17, 8:22am
motorbo, IMO the Spiced Red Cabbage is definitely not sweet - it has the vinegar to balance the sweetness and I guess there's no reason why more than the 1 tsp vinegar couldn't be added to correct it being too sweet for your personal taste; however I really don't believe that any extra would be necessary.
Re the ginger that you added to your mix - what kind of ginger did you use!Powdered ginger shouldn't have added any additional sweetness, neither should fresh/root ginger BUT if you used crystaliised ginger, that form of ginger would definitely add extra sweetness unless the sugar was washed off before the ginger was chopped and added.
Another thought re your cooked mix - did the coleslaw have any dressing with it!If so, I susupect that it may have been the dressing that made your cooked mix "very sweet".
If indeed the dressing was the 'culprit' then should there be another time when you decide to cook your 'dressed' coleslaw mix, I suggest you drain the dressing off the coleslaw and give the vegetable mixture a quick rinse with cold water, then drain it again and proceed with cooking it.
I love ginger and IMO your addition of the ginger should have made your pan-fried coleslaw tasty rather than sweet, but a dash or two of vinegar or lemon juice may have corrected the "very sweet" that you obviously did not find so pleasant.

Hope that helps.:-))

shop-a-holic, Aug 17, 8:26am
yes, apologies, Two different dishes. However, experimenting is key :-)

bisloy, Aug 17, 8:38am
Quick fry in some butter with mixed nuts, maybe some raisins, carrot and some parsley. Yummy hot.

motorbo, Aug 17, 8:46am
hi sam

i shred my cabbage white or red and salt it - leave it then rinse.seriously the ginger and carrot in it was enought to give it a nice mild sweetness that worked for me, no dressing, maybebeing an ex smoker it seemed sweet to me

245sam, Aug 18, 8:22am
motorbo, IMO the Spiced Red Cabbage is definitely not sweet - it has the vinegar to balance the sweetness and I guess there's no reason why more than the 1 tsp vinegar couldn't be added to correct it being too sweet for your personal taste; however I really don't believe that any extra would be necessary.
Re the ginger that you added to your mix - what kind of ginger did you use!Powdered ginger shouldn't have added any additional sweetness, neither should fresh/root ginger BUT if you used crystaliised ginger, that form of ginger would definitely add extra sweetness unless the sugar was washed off before the ginger was chopped and added.
Another thought re your cooked mix - did the coleslaw have any dressing with it!If so, I susupect that it may have been the dressing that made your cooked mix "very sweet".
If indeed the dressing was the 'culprit' then should there be another time when you decide to cook your 'dressed' coleslaw mix, I suggest you drain the dressing off the coleslaw and give the vegetable mixture a quick rinse with cold water, then drain it again and proceed with cooking it.
I love ginger and IMO your addition of the ginger should have made your pan-fried coleslaw tasty rather than sweet, but a dash or two of vinegar or lemon juice may have corrected the "very sweet" that you obviously did not find so pleasant.

Hope that helps.:-))