Unusual plate ideas please

Page 1 / 2
pinkpig3, Aug 12, 8:27am
I have been invited to a 40th birthday party (which is tomorrow night), and the invitation states to bring a plate of unusual food. I have no idea. Please help me!

jessie981, Aug 12, 8:48am
Take a plate of popcorn or kids mixed sweets, fairy bread with 100s & 1000s!

goodbooks, Aug 12, 8:54am
Make a carrot cake with grated fresh beetroot instead of carrot. tastes very good.

elliehen, Aug 12, 9:01am

jhan, Aug 12, 9:08am
How about small triangles of bread surrounding a triangle of cheese on all sides, like a tent, with a parasol out the top. Different pickles with the cheese within the tent!

tehenga288, Aug 12, 9:42am
How about sweetbreads or brains

pickles7, Aug 12, 10:08am
Pork crackling and chili sauce.

nfh1, Aug 12, 10:18am
That would be unusual pickles7.

pinkpig3, Aug 12, 10:27am
Oh you are all fantastic! Apart from the sweetbreads/brains idea (yuck!). Thank you.

craftylady1, Aug 12, 8:04pm
One time i took a very interesting plate.folled up raw sausage meat and covered it in choc then rolled in coconut.didnt taste great(i imagine) but was worth seeing the look on peoples faces when they bit into them

margyr, Aug 12, 8:07pm
haha, have you ever been asked since then to bring a plate!

lx4000, Aug 12, 8:32pm
stuffed little mushrooms, brawn or black pudding cube on a toothpick with (veggie here) with cherry tomato or something!

lx4000, Aug 12, 8:33pm
oh goodness, what about chicken feet! Ohhh ickky at the thought! but what a talking piece! hehehehe

craftylady1, Aug 12, 8:38pm
Many a time.that was probaly 30 odd years ago.lol

craftylady1, Aug 12, 8:40pm
After the Feb earthquakes, i has my DILs displaced nana staying here before she went to akl. Had to go to the s/mkt to get some dinner, and all they had left were a few sausages, and a lot of packets of chicken feet. Guess what i bought!LOL Sausages!

lx4000, Aug 12, 8:42pm
but fancy being offered a chicken foot which has a cherry tomato or alike closed in it claws! eeeewwwwww !

pinkpig3, Aug 12, 9:19pm
Ewww is right! I at least want to know that one dish is edible tonight, even if it is mine!

lx4000, Aug 12, 9:24pm
pinkpig3, pic if possible on your finished plate please!

lx4000, Aug 12, 9:46pm
what about getting some green food coloring and making some green eggs and ham club sandies or on crackers! green spags and ham in cases or black or green creamed corn in cases!

lx4000, Aug 12, 10:05pm
hard boiled eggs, cut in half place cooked whites in say green food coloring to stain them then with the yoke place them in red food coloring then mix and fill as normal:)

pics please on what you take !

lx4000, Aug 12, 10:09pm
on that theme! cook brussel sprouts, halved and emptiedthen stuff with mashed spud and blue cheese or alike!

chicco2, Aug 13, 12:00am
I saw a photo in a magazine recently, that showed a beautiful vase filled with kebab skewers that had pieces of fruit threaded on them to look like flowers, it was very cool. eg; 1/2 apricot,then pineapple ring up behind it, use your imagination and include edible or non toxic leaves.

elliehen, Aug 13, 5:21am
Heard a foodie talking to Kim Hill this morning about delicately cooking a woodcock (banned in France but legal in England) - folding its wings back, twisting its head round and securing the wings to its back with the spike of its long beak, then after it was roasted, making a pate of the guts (apparently the bird always defaecates on take-off, so the gut is cleared out) then snapping off the head and using the beak like a spoon to suck the brains out.

I'll bet if you break ranks and take something a bit less unusual, your plate will be emptied before all the others ;)

lx4000, Aug 13, 7:49pm
Bump ! What did you end up taking! Is there a pic for us to ooooo and aaaaaarrrrrr over!

bedazzledjewels, Aug 14, 1:18am
Ellie - I read about that in a book called The Man who Ate the World. From memory it happened in France (so illiegal) and you had to be specially invited and the feasting happened in a locked room. Fascinating. It's by Jay Raymer.