Unusual plate ideas please

Page 2 / 2
elliehen, Aug 14, 5:21am
Heard a foodie talking to Kim Hill this morning about delicately cooking a woodcock (banned in France but legal in England) - folding its wings back, twisting its head round and securing the wings to its back with the spike of its long beak, then after it was roasted, making a pate of the guts (apparently the bird always defaecates on take-off, so the gut is cleared out) then snapping off the head and using the beak like a spoon to suck the brains out.

I'll bet if you break ranks and take something a bit less unusual, your plate will be emptied before all the others ;)

elliehen, Aug 14, 9:19am
I read about the same (or similar) incident in Anthony Bourdain's latest book (he was one of the special guests).The bird at his feast was the ortolan, once the gourmet dish of France, and he described in guilty detail the crunching of the bones etc - and napkins over their heads.I've lent the book so can't reference the page.
This is a Wiki entry:
"For centuries, a rite of passage for French gourmets has been the eating of the Ortolan. These tiny birds—captured alive, force-fed, then drowned in Armagnac—were roasted whole and eaten that way, bones and all, while the diner draped his head with a linen napkin to preserve the precious aromas and, some believe, to hide from God.

You catch the ortolan with a net spread up in the forest canopy. Take it alive. Take it home. Poke out its eyes and put it in a small cage. Force-feed it oats and millet and figs until it has swollen to four times its normal size. Drown it in brandy. Roast it whole, in an oven at high heat, for six to eight minutes. Bring it to the table. Place a cloth—a napkin will do—over your head to hide your cruelty from the sight of God. Put the whole bird into your mouth, with only the beak protruding from your lips. Bite. Put the beak on your plate and begin chewing, gently. You will taste three things: First, the sweetness of the flesh and fat. This is God. Then, the bitterness of the guts will begin to overwhelm you. This is the suffering of Jesus. Finally, as your teeth break the small, delicate bones and they begin to lacerate your gums, you will taste the salt of your own blood, mingling with the richness of the fat and the bitterness of the organs. This is the Holy Spirit, the mystery of the Trinity—three united as one. It is cruel. And beautiful."

lindylambchops1, Aug 14, 9:41am
Cook a pig's head.put it on a huge serving plate decorate it with an apple in it's mouth & cherries for it's eyes!

Great example here

http://www.sacredearth.com/ethnobotany/food/festivefood.php

bedazzledjewels, Aug 15, 1:18am
Ellie - I read about that in a book called The Man who Ate the World. From memory it happened in France (so illiegal) and you had to be specially invited and the feasting happened in a locked room. Fascinating. It's by Jay Raymer.

lindylambchops1, Aug 15, 2:44am
guess I was too late for this suggestion!

elliehen, Aug 15, 4:08am
pinkpig3, it would be interesting to hear not only what you decided to take, but what other people took to the party.

elliehen, Aug 15, 9:19am
I read about the same (or similar) incident in Anthony Bourdain's latest book (he was one of the special guests).The bird at his feast was the ortolan, once the gourmet dish of France, and he described in guilty detail the crunching of the bones etc - and napkins over their heads.I've lent the book so can't reference the page.
This is a Wiki entry:
"For centuries, a rite of passage for French gourmets has been the eating of the Ortolan. These tiny birds—captured alive, force-fed, then drowned in Armagnac—were roasted whole and eaten that way, bones and all, while the diner draped his head with a linen napkin to preserve the precious aromas and, some believe, to hide from God.

You catch the ortolan with a net spread up in the forest canopy. Take it alive. Take it home. Poke out its eyes and put it in a small cage. Force-feed it oats and millet and figs until it has swollen to four times its normal size. Drown it in brandy. Roast it whole, in an oven at high heat, for six to eight minutes. Bring it to the table. Place a cloth—a napkin will do—over your head to hide your cruelty from the sight of God. Put the whole bird into your mouth, with only the beak protruding from your lips. Bite. Put the beak on your plate and begin chewing, gently. You will taste three things: First, the sweetness of the flesh and fat. This is God. Then, the bitterness of the guts will begin to overwhelm you. This is the suffering of Jesus. Finally, as your teeth break the small, delicate bones and they begin to lacerate your gums, you will taste the salt of your own blood, mingling with the richness of the fat and the bitterness of the organs. This is the Holy Spirit, the mystery of the Trinity—three united as one. It is cruel. And beautiful."

lindylambchops1, Aug 15, 9:41am
Cook a pig's head.put it on a huge serving plate decorate it with an apple in it's mouth & cherries for it's eyes!

Great example here

http://www.sacredearth.com/ethnobotany/food/festivefood.php

whiskey13, Aug 15, 10:18am
Bumping this thread as i am interested as to what was taken :)

gardie, Aug 15, 5:54pm
We were served a buffet with the whole pig (including the apple) as a centrepeice recently in Fiji.Our poor daughter took one look and couldn't eat it. She's 11.

lindylambchops1, Aug 15, 11:20pm
LOLHubby's Mum did one for a Christmas dinner one year when he was a kid.He has never forgotten it.Everyone enjoyed it.Appearances aren't everything eh!

elliehen, Aug 16, 2:36am
Rosemary McLeod, well known for her good sense of humour - among many other talents, said that at a poncy Australian restaurant she was served a whole fish propped up on its 'elbow' staring at her and she just could not eat it ;)

lindylambchops1, Aug 16, 2:46am
LOL ugh!

lindylambchops1, Aug 16, 10:05am
BUMPwe want to know what pinkpig3 took as her unusual plate

gardie, Aug 16, 5:54pm
We were served a buffet with the whole pig (including the apple) as a centrepeice recently in Fiji.Our poor daughter took one look and couldn't eat it. She's 11.

lindylambchops1, Aug 16, 11:20pm
LOLHubby's Mum did one for a Christmas dinner one year when he was a kid.He has never forgotten it.Everyone enjoyed it.Appearances aren't everything eh!

lindylambchops1, Aug 17, 2:15am
Oink oink pinkpig3<(*@*)>

elliehen, Aug 17, 2:36am
Rosemary McLeod, well known for her good sense of humour - among many other talents, said that at a poncy Australian restaurant she was served a whole fish propped up on its 'elbow' staring at her and she just could not eat it ;)

lindylambchops1, Aug 17, 7:26am
If pinkpig3 doesn't respond to this thread soon I may be forced to roast YOU!

BUMP

elliehen, Aug 17, 8:57am
lindylambchops, with a name like yours, you might be in danger of being grilled first ;)

lindylambchops1, Aug 18, 7:26am
If pinkpig3 doesn't respond to this thread soon I may be forced to roast YOU!

BUMP