Home made chocs. filling ideas!

indy95, Feb 17, 6:56pm
Bumped for k.b.moss.

rainbowpride, Feb 17, 7:25pm
I use this in my caramel chocolates and they are asked for all the time.

Dulce de Leche
Ingredients
• 1 quart whole milk
• 12 ounces sugar, approximately 1 1/2 cups
• 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Directions
Combine the milk, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds in a large, 4-quart saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the baking soda and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and cook uncovered at a bare simmer. Stir occasionally, but do not re-incorporate the foam that appears on the top of the mixture. Continue to cook for 1 hour. Remove the vanilla bean after 1 hour and continue to cook until the mixture is a dark caramel color and has reduced to about 1 cup, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to a month

rainbowpride, Feb 17, 7:49pm
Some other fillings I use are peanut butter and some of that icecream topping jelly, the strawberry and hazelnut nutella stuff,the other caramel sort of thing I do is

Use either Mars bars about 8 of them or a packet of pineapple lumps and melt them down with with about a cup of cream over a slow heat and when the mixture cools its good for a filling.

Have fun

k.b.moss, Feb 18, 2:09am
silly question but can you freeze reduced cream!

dn_filly, Sep 25, 5:37am
have started to make my own home made chocs, with dark, milk and white chocs,looking for different ideas for fillings.

am gonna do a mint filling in dark choc,a strawberry liqure one.
want to do a caramel one, if i can find a soft/runny caramel for the filling.
marshmellow.

whats something different.!

lx4000, Sep 25, 6:00am
nutella, dried fruits, nuts, coffee beans (not sure if you have to do anything to them first)

lx4000, Sep 25, 6:01am
crystallized ginger is another one:)

mmmm ponders if you could use lemon honey!

pam.delilah, Sep 25, 6:06am
Fillings chocolates,
Easy cream filling: Melt 50 g choc melts ( Milk, White or cooking choc ), stir in 1 ½ tablespoons Reduced cream.
Apricot: Soak ¼ cup very finely chopped dried apricots in 1 tablespoon orange juice or orange liqueur for 20 minutes. Stir into the easy cream filling.
Brandy: Stir 2-3 teaspoons brandy into easy cream filling.
Cherry Liqueur: Soak 10 glace cherries ( cut in half or chopped ) in 1 ½ tablespoon kirsch or cherry brandy for 1 hour. Stir into the easy cream filling.
Coconut Marshmallows: Chop 4 marshmallows, stir into the easy cream filling with 1-2 tablespoons fine coconut.
Orange: Stir ½ teaspoon grated orange rind and 2 teaspoons orange juice or orange liqueur into the easy cream filling.
Rum & Raisin: Soak ¼ cup chopped raisins in 1 tablespoon rum for 30 minutes. Stir into easy cream filling.
Vanilla or Peppermint: Stir 1 teaspoon vanilla essence or ½ to ¾ teaspoon peppermint essence into the easy cream filling.
Caramel Filling: In a saucepan, place ¼ cup highlander condensed milk, 1 tablespoon golden syrup, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1 tablespoon butter. Bring to the boil then cook over moderate heat for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla essence. Allow to cool.
Nutty Cream filling: Stir 2 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla essence into ¼ cup highlander condensed milk.

2603962, Sep 26, 5:32am
Jelly lollys with sugar on the outside are great they taste like turkish delight - soft jubes just remembered the name of them

greerg, Sep 26, 8:01pm
Liqueur cherries - my absolute favourite.Pecan nuts, coconut mix like Nauru's bounty truffles.

kallista, Oct 22, 10:51am
pam.delilah - how long does this filling last and about how many chocolates does one batch fill!

wildflower, Oct 23, 2:32am
I take it you can buy special molds for the chocolates!

aof, Oct 23, 3:18am
Dried apricots and also licorice pieces are nice coated in chocolate

nauru, Oct 23, 6:47am
Yes you can, I bought mine from Spotlight.I have some swirl type ones and the finished chocolates look very professional. There are some molds on TM too and you can mail order from Homestyle website too.They also do the fillings and flavouring oils.

jessie981, Oct 23, 6:56am
my pick

valentino, Oct 23, 7:06am
Depends on the size of Chocs, say between 15 large to 30 small.

Anything that is fully sealed will last quite a while, otherwise similar lifespan of exposed chocolate.

next-to-normal, Oct 23, 7:29am
manuka honey and coffee bean.coffee bean acts like speed. great for night shift.

motorbo, Oct 23, 8:10am
i saw yesterday that barkers now sells fruit fillings in bags at the supermarket.they might be an idea

wildflower, Oct 24, 2:40am
Thanks Nauru.

Chocolate and coffee omg ;)

lodgelocum, Oct 24, 6:53am
Prunes and Rum