Can I use normal cream insted of double cream!

flashdaz, Aug 7, 3:25am
Would like to make a lemon tart and the recipe for the filling says 250ml double cream. Am I able to use the normal cream insted! Thanks :)

indy95, Aug 7, 3:30am
Flashdaz, the cream we are all familiar with here is the equivalent of double cream so yes, you can use it in your lemon tart.

cgvl, Aug 7, 3:30am
yes. NZ normal cream is the same as Double cream or close enough, whipping cream is another term you will hear. You can buythickened cream but for your recipe standard cream is fine.

flashdaz, Aug 7, 4:00am
Thanks guys. Does that mean that I wouldn't need to beat the normal cream before using it! Recipe says to boil the cream then add to my egg and lemon mixture. Many thanks :)

wildflower, Aug 7, 4:04am
If you're boiling it you wouldn't beat it first.Hope that helps.

davidt4, Aug 7, 4:13am
English double cream is around 48% butterfat, while NZ plain cream is 38% i.e. thinner.In most recipes the difference doesn't really matter, but for a delicate lemon tart filling it might be wise to reduce the quantity of cream slightly so that the filling isn't too watery.

Maybe the original poster could write out the recipe so that someone can compare it with a successful one made with NZ cream.

I always use the filling from Marco Pierre White, and it works perfectly with NZ cream.

flashdaz, Aug 7, 4:42am
Thank you guys :) It is now in the oven, hope it will be just as nice as it looks like on the original recipe. Here is the link where I found the recipe :) http://blog.afoodlyaffair.com/2010/03/05/lemon-tart/
.if anyone wish to try it.

duckmoon, Aug 7, 5:52am
yes.

Double Cream is usually mentioned in an english recipe.England has single cream (approximately 35% fat) and double cream (approximately 45% fat).

In New Zealand, we only have "cream" with a fat content of around 40-42% fat. So works well in recipes which call for double cream.

NB: thickened cream contains cream and gelatin - and is a different product

petal1955, Aug 7, 8:25am
Here is a real easy Lemon Tart

Recipes
Mother's Day
Community
Carol's Blog
Shop

Not a member! Register now

Recipe finder advanced search
add a recipe
Shopping List

Home > Recipes > Quick and Easy Lemon Tart

Quick and Easy Lemon Tart

Rate this Recipe

Light and deliciously tangy dessert - serve all year round or in the summer with fresh berries

Course Dessert and Sweets
Cuisine French
Serves 6
Cooking-Time 0hrs 30 mins
Recommended Wine

Click Here

Views 3226
Added Wed Aug 5 2009

Add to my favourites
Send to a friend
Print this recipe
Add to my shopping

By HelgsAdded 22 recipes

Related categories

Dessert and Sweets, French, Quick and Easy Lemon Tart, summer dessert, alfresco ,

Ingredients
•1 Pastry case. ready or home made (about 24cm)
•250g Caster Sugar
•2 Fresh Lemons. Zest and Juice
•4 Free Range Eggs
•250ml Double Cream
• Icing Sugar to dust

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180°C

2. Combine all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.

3. Pour the mixture into the pastry case.

4. Bake for about 30 mins until brown on top. Once cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool.

5. Before serving, sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with fresh summer berries (strawberry, raspberry, blackberry etc) and a dollop of cream.

lythande1, Aug 8, 2:10am
Here it is without half the webpage attached:
Lemon Tart

Ingredients
•1 Pastry case. ready or home made (about 24cm)
•250g Caster Sugar
•2 Fresh Lemons. Zest and Juice
•4 Free Range Eggs
•250ml Double Cream
• Icing Sugar to dust

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180°C

2. Combine all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.

3. Pour the mixture into the pastry case.

4. Bake for about 30 mins until brown on top. Once cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool.

5. Before serving, sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with fresh summer berries (strawberry, raspberry, blackberry etc) and a dollop of cream.