Pancakes, lemon and sugar

jhan, Aug 3, 7:39am
These have been a favourite in our house for many years. A simple recipe,
1cup flour
1 egg
300ml of milk
pinch of salt
which makes about 5 large pancakes, so multiply it for how many pancakes you need.
Pick your lemons, cut into quarters, fill a basin with sugar. After cooking the pancakes, keep them hot in the oven until there are all done and then have a feast.

jessie981, Aug 3, 7:40am
I like golden syrup, banana. Rolled up & sprinkled with icing sugar.

jhan, Aug 3, 7:49am
Sounds yum, I'd like to find out what savoury things you could put in them. I remember reading once that a young family on a tight budget lived on these plus rice and home grown veges for over a year. The price of milk might make that idea redundant now.

jessie981, Aug 3, 7:56am
jhan go into the lefthand message board & under keyword put pancakes. Then under date posted put last year. Ideas there.

danjoboys, Aug 3, 9:42am
Can't beat vanilla icecream and golden syrup on pancakes!! Total indulgence :)

josechef, Aug 3, 9:56am
Pancakes can just be made with water instead of milk..if that helps..it will be really thin but the crispiness would be an added texture plus you can fill it with any savory ingredients that you have.. We had these plus cabin bread and tea for a couple of weeks during and after a cyclone..I hope that helps.

esther-anne, Aug 3, 10:00am
That's the way we always have ours too - a rare treat these days.Have had them at restaurants with all the bells and whistles but always end up preferring our old tried and true way of doing it.

I make them as savoury too - chicken and mushroom is a favourite - or actually any leftovers can be rolled up into a pancake - have done it with chilli con carne, curry, left over tuna bake - rolled up, cheese sauce poured over, sprinkle of parmesan and in the oven until hot and golden.Yum!!

buzzybee1, Aug 3, 10:03am
jhan, I like your easy basic recipe for pancakes, butam at a loss as to know what you mean with the rest of it (I'm not much of a cook) I understand what to do with the lemons (cut into quarters right?) But when you say ' fill a basin with sugar', I am lost, I'm sure you don't mean the bathroom wash basin - I may be a bad cook, but I'm not stupid - but even filling a smallish basin with sugar still seems a lot of sugar. But anyway, I've now filled my smallest basin with sugar and I have a quartered lemon, my question now is: what do I do with the sugar and lemon quarters please?

jessie981, Aug 3, 10:34am
Squeeze over over the pancakes & enjoy.

esther-anne, Aug 3, 11:14am
Surely you jest??I'm quite tempted to tell you an alternative thing to do with the sugar and lemon quarters!!

Just joking!

mwood, Aug 3, 11:50am
sprinkle the sugar over a flat pancake - roll it into a cylinder then squeeze the lemon along the length of the roll - slice off "rounds" and enjoy. For sugar crunchy ones reverse the procedure so it's lemon juice squeezed on the flat pancake - roll them - then sugar.

*edit - spelling

elliehen, Aug 3, 11:59am
.sugar with cinnamon in this house:)

mwood, Aug 3, 12:20pm
cinnamon is a good aid for loweringCholesterollevels - sprinkled on coffee etc

charlieb2, Aug 3, 12:30pm
There is something about the 'buzzy' user name, huh!

we do the pancakes then the lemon thing is to sprinkle with sugar and squeeze lemon juice over the top.mmmmmmmmmm

tigerlilly16, Aug 3, 3:06pm
growing up in our house it was always: As soon as mum had cooked a pancake and delivered it to who's ever plate it was 'the turn of', we sprinkled the whole surface of it with sugar, then squeezed lemon over that, then rolled up and ate, faster than mum could keep cooking them lol, then at the end when there were no more pancakes, we dipped the leftover squeezed lemon segments in the sugar and ate them too.

gardie, Aug 3, 7:42pm
As a child, we used to eat pikelets spread with butter and then sprinkled with sugar.No lemon in sight.I loved the crunchiness of the sugar.Would need the lemon juice with it these days.

buzzybee1, Aug 4, 10:33am
Please please, tell me your alternative! One in the eye for me!
I still don't get the need to fill a basin with sugar if you can just sprinkle it over the pancake from your usual sugar container. I'm being nitpickety here!
Anyway, my fav pancake is: spread it with jam of choice, pipe a thick worm of whipped cream in the middle and roll!

zorrodog, Aug 4, 9:53pm
Yes you are

norse_westie, Aug 4, 10:18pm
I make these (or waffles or french toast) for my kids on the weekends. But I prefer them as crepes so you can roll them up and eat them like sausages. Absolutely divine.

jubre, Aug 4, 10:29pm
I love pancakes with fresh fruit chopped up over them, and with yougurt on top of that.

jhan, Aug 4, 10:55pm
You are not nitpicky, I didn't explain that very well.

We use a dessert plate filled with sugar (the normal sugar bowl being too small) and this has several dessert spoons in it for everyone gets very impatient to sprinkle their sugar and put on their lemon juice before the pancakes get cold. After doing this, we roll up our pancakes like a sausage in such a way that the juice doesn't fall out, and gooble them up. I can manage 3 sometimes, my kids used to eat 5 or more. My husband delicately cuts his up with a knife and fork (he also carries a clean hanky everyday, a real gentleman, his mother taught him well).

indy95, Aug 5, 1:21am
Jhan, yours obviously taught you well too as your restrained and courteous reponse clearly shows.