Monterey Jack Cheese?

kiwiactrss, Aug 3, 2:07am
Hi, can someone please assist - have some US recipes I want to try but they all seem to have Monterey Jack cheese - is there a NZ equivalent?or indeed IS it available here - just can't recall seeing it anywhere.Thanks in advance

davidt4, Aug 3, 2:22am
x1
Monterey Jack is a very mild semi-hard cheese without much personality.You could use a mild cheddar, a young Gouda or Edam - it's really more of a texture than a distinctive flavour.

cgvl, Aug 3, 2:51am
I have seen it in our New World, best bet would be a specialty cheese or deli shop.

kiwiactrss, Aug 3, 2:52am
Thanks will obv need to be a bit more observant - or failing that try a young Gouda/ Edam - really appreciate your assistance.A friend of mine sent me a flash Mac and Cheese recipe from the states and was worried I wouldn't be able to make it.

sarahj1, Aug 3, 4:28am
It is very similar to NZ cheddar - I certainly wouldn't go to the trouble/expense of trying to buy it at a specialty shop or deli - basic old NZ mild/tasty cheddar will do just fine - in US recipes Monterey Jack is used as an "upmarket" alternative to trad. American cheese which is the orange plastic-y stuff.

kiwiactrss, Aug 3, 10:14pm
Thanks Sarahj1 - am off to the supermarket today so will try it first with basic cheddar - can always add more mustard/ hot sauce whatever it is needs more flavour

rainrain1, Aug 3, 11:21pm
To go with Gentleman Jack whisky perhaps !

elliehen, Aug 4, 1:01am
x2
Didn't he hang out with Betty Crocker!

newbie, Aug 18, 10:13pm
@Chef_kiwiactrss

I'm ALSO looking for MJ cheese. Did you find this cheese? If you did, please let me know where as I need to get some, too. I'm in Auckland. Thanks!