So our whole chest freezer thawed!

antoniab, Aug 1, 11:55pm
Partner and I have spent the last 2 days trying to cook everything up so we dont waste it all!!! Please someone else tell me this has happned to you too so I dont feel so bad lol

dbab, Aug 2, 12:00am
Can you claim insurance on it?

skata, Aug 2, 12:00am
Yes, has happened to me.Partner took plug out of freezer in garage to use for something else and forgot to plug it back in.Just think how lovely it will be now not to have to cook dinner, you just have to go to the freezer to defrost something.

antoniab, Aug 2, 12:03am
Thats exactly what happened to us skata - have an old beer fridge and freezer next to each other in the garage with the same grey plug! Nope no innsurance dbab - bit of a pain as I had just bought a $50 turkey for mid winter xmas dinner, but now I have Jamie Olivers leftover turkey and leek pie! lol

fifie, Aug 2, 12:09am
Yes it happened to me, big chest freezer almost full we'd just put down a pig and 1/2 cattle beast. Mr turned off the power in garage before we went on holiday, came home 3 wks later to a lovely smell, all went to dump couldn't get smell out of freezer so had to ditch it to thank god for insurance. Only ever done it once was a big lesson...

ibcreative, Aug 2, 12:45am
I think it happened to many people in ChCh after the Feb quake when most people lost power for days on end.

We ate as much as we could ( considering we had no power & had to use a wee gas cooker or the barbie) & had to claim insurance for the rest. Such a waste of good food!

antoniab, Aug 2, 12:51am
Of course! Didnt think of that at all! My dilema seems trivial now compared to the poor people of Chch

charlieb2, Aug 2, 12:53am
Nah... I'm in Chch and lost most of the contents of our two freezers in Feb... but its still gutting having to try and sort out all that food.You poor thing.

wasgonna, Aug 2, 2:09am
Must be covered by contents insurance if you have any. If not wait till you lose all your furniture, clothing, appliances, etc, etc, when the building burns down then you'll really start worrying.

antoniab, Aug 2, 4:24am
Lol smartypants - as a fulltime student with an unemployed partner, paying money that I dont have for contents innsurance is the last thing of my mind!

rarogal, Aug 2, 5:24am
Oh, same here!!Except we didnt go away - we just didnt realise that the motor had burnt out, till the smell told us.We had to dump the lot.

griffo4, Aug 2, 8:44am
We had just put a beast into our freezer and hubby went to turn in after 2 days and it was still unfrozen but thankfully cold, winter time, so he had to race to town and buy another freezer, that was a few years ago now, but a real panic
The motor had gone on ours and we would have been gutted if we had lost the lot so you have my sympathies
Mind you hubby recently left a box of pork chops on a shelf after he took them out of the freezer to find something else and l didn't find them for a few days when l smelt something and l was totally gutted with that
l love pork chops,lol

antoniab, Aug 2, 9:32am
Well partner shot 4 wild goats today so that will help fill the freezer up again :)

winnie15, Aug 2, 10:53am
its happened to me twice, its a pain in the butt isn't it .. couldn't cook it all so gave some away .. claimed insurance the first time but not the second time.

marree, Aug 2, 11:30am
Me (yes - same scenario as 'skata') - oh dear!!! - we are not alone!

juliewn, Aug 2, 2:09pm
Yes.. have had it happen too.. had swapped preserves for some crayfish for my Son's 21st - then had to bury them in the garden along with everything else after taking many photos for the insurance company.Could have cried!

marree, Aug 2, 10:42pm
it happened to me some 20 years ago (did not realise I could claim insurance - just let it go - I don't know if they would have paid out tho (due to negligence?).Oh well - very careful now re things like that!