This is a query regarding celery.....

elsielaurie1, Aug 1, 1:24am
Rather than pay nearly $5.00 for a cucumber this week, I have instead bought a head of celery......But how do I keep it fresh..??

brightspark, Aug 1, 1:29am
Wrap it in tin foil and keep in the fridge, will stay fresh for weeks!

lx4000, Aug 1, 1:31am
if your wanting it for cooking. Wash, dry, chopped and free flow freeze then bag up till needed:)

kinna54, Aug 1, 1:41am
agreed. definitely works! you can also freeflow freeze it, simply blanch for a few mins, run under ice water, spread onto a tray and freeze, then bag. Google will give you the correct blanching time, sorry I can't remember precisely, think it's around 3-4 mins.

pickles7, Aug 1, 2:00am
Mine stays fresh in a plastic bag. I trim off the entire top, use or freeze for soups. Take off what I require straight way, put the rest into a plastic bag remove the air and put into the veg bin, in the fridge. Celery dose not last that long, it will go sour / bitter as it ages. I now nip a bit and try before I buy these days. I have snapped a stalk in half when it looked as if it was dry and spongy in the middle. I am well over buying rubbish. The supermarkets buyers know when they are onto cheap rubbish, the owners prey on us, not to complain. The last time I returned something I was told" what did you expect, for the price".
A good way to use up the last of your celery is in a fish pie. Maggi, I think puts out a nice pkt., for fish pie flavouring.

lindylambchops1, Aug 1, 2:04am
Chop up into sticks & keep in a plastic box in bottom of fridge.Keeps for ages.

buzzy110, Aug 1, 5:07am
I just hate the way that celery looks fantastic till I pull off a stock and find that underneath the outer skin, the inner part is beginning to go brown. I now buy a 3mth 'Stay Fresh' thingy from my local Mitre 10 and put it in my vege bin. Everything seems to last well when they are being used, including celery. I try not to remove the leafy top off my celery also as that seems to keep it in good condition for longer as well. I just put mine into a plastic bag but don't seal it.

lythande1, Aug 1, 6:52am
To use raw, perhaps. But if used for cooking, freeze it.

kimkat1, Aug 1, 8:11am
I cut mine into sticks and put it in a plastic container in the fridge, I have used it 3 weeks later.... Still crisp and snaps..

elsielaurie1, Aug 1, 8:37am
Thanks people...I thought I would try celery for a change as opposed to the price of cucumbers...:-}