Pork Belly in the Pressure Cooker?

dbab, Jul 19, 11:20pm
Does anyone have a recipe for this? Thanks

valentino, Jul 20, 12:17am
Don't cook it in a Pressure Cooker, The skin with the fat under is the best part in having a real nice juicy chunk of meat.

Best to slow cook in oven at 160C for a couple of hours (A decent slab of course) that has been rubbed with olive oil and some nice flakey sea salt all over including the scored-cut- cubewise skin. Then out of oven for about 10 to 15 minutes then add a couple dessert spoons of clover honey over skin and allow to flow into the cuts and rub more salt all over skin - place under the grill of oven and grill the skin but be very watchful and watch the wee explosions like popping the skin - grill wise but don't burn. To serve, use the cuts as guide for cutiing into pieces.
Absolutely superb, Pressure cooker will ruin this lovel taste that a pork belly can give if done right.

dbab, Jul 20, 2:35am
Thanks for that. I'll give it a go in the oven.

skye7, Aug 13, 7:26am
1 tbsp vegetable oil
900g pork belly (cut into slices)
2 spring onions (trimmed and sliced)
2 cloves garlic (peeled and sliced)
3cm knob of fresh root ginger (thinly sliced)
1/4 C dark brown cane sugar
3/4 C dark soy sauce
1/2 C water
1/2 C rice wine
1 whole star anise
2 tsp Chinese five spice powder

Place the pressure cooker pan without the lid over a high heat (sear/sautee function if using electric). Add the oil and sear the pork pieces. Add the spring onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the onion begins to soften. Add the remaining ingredients.

Position the lid on top of the pressure cooker and lock into place. Set to low pressure. Bring up to pressure and maintain the pressure for 45 minutes.

Remove from heat and allow the pressure to reduce naturally.

Serve with rice or mashed potato, and steamed vegetables

Reference: Loveday, L. (2011). The New Zealand pressure cooker cookbook. Auckland: Renaissance Publishing. Pg. 102.

seniorbones, Aug 13, 10:08am
we had this last weekend and it was basically as above (chinese style spices) but boiled with the spices first for an hour then left overnight to cool and the fat taken off, the next night in the oven for the crackle to crisp and it was the best I had ever tasted, just melted it was beautiful.

splitty, Aug 13, 11:21pm
Sounds nice but I think it would have to be when dad was at work mum (dbab) we'll come for dinner! lol

pickles7, Aug 13, 11:39pm
skye7. sounds nice. I have put that one on my "to try" list. I would slow cook it, but do have a, pressure cooker, sitting in my cupboard gathering dust.

skye7, Aug 14, 6:14am
Just do it, get the pressure cook out and dust it off

pickles7, Aug 19, 10:19pm
I made this last night.skye7 . it was a hit with my Husband, for me, it required something "sweet", maybe "Tamarind", could have set things up. lol. why do they cut fins off, of sharks !

pickles7, Aug 20, 3:49am
Tonight we are going to eat sausages, in the left over sauce, I will strain the sauce and add some chili and plum jam, [ over sugar] as it needs to be used up. Darn no tamarind. must remember to get some more.

raurimu1, Aug 29, 10:56pm
A friend gave me this recipe for Pork Belly cooked in milk. Put 4-5 bay leaves in your roaster place the pork belly on this. Score the pork and rub some oil and salt into skin. Pour in milk but don't cover the skin. Cook in oven at 220 degrees C for 15-20 mins and turn down to 170 degrees C for the time required to cook the piece of pork. Its quite yummy. If you want crackle you may have to place under the grill for a few minutes. I used full milk not trim.