Denheath Custard Squares

Page 1 / 2
jaybee6, Mar 10, 5:26am
If something is sooooooooooo good then why would one want to not share something.Dumb I think.Selfish also in my eyes as I like to share.

245sam, Mar 10, 5:49am
Lisa of Denheath Desserts is neither dumb or selfish.the recipe, of necessity, remains a guarded secret for the sake of their business.After all the custard squares are what Denheath is particularly well known for although they do make other very tempting items as well.Have a look at:-

http://www.denheath.co.nz/shop

bill241, Mar 10, 5:58am
Its a business, why would they give away their trade secret!

gardie, Mar 10, 6:10am
I never gave away our recipes when we owned a coffee shop either.Give them away freely now though!I have never tried those denheath custard squares but they do look devine.The price puts me off somewhat!($44 for 6 custard squares delivered).

paghan, Mar 10, 6:12am
I tried one of these after reading a few threads on them, and to be honest was not impressed at all, it tasted fatty if that makes sense, the pastry was raw and for $6.90 I was very disapointed. I much prefer my home made ones :)

babytears, Mar 10, 7:00am
Buy a product from wholesalers. it's called 'Kramess' and it makes the custard just like that in the denheath custard squares. the downside - it only comes in 10kg bags I believe. last time I got a price for the 10kg bag it was $56 odd

flo16, Mar 10, 8:07am
Very disappointed here too,so so expensive and blerk-husband would die for a custard square but these went in the bin!

dairymaid, Mar 10, 8:47am
sorryhave to disagree all the ones my husband and I have had have been great out local Bakery sells them usually get a couple each month My husbands favourite

harrislucinda, Mar 10, 8:49am
idid.ntlikethemeithercustard withwhippedcreamtasteless

herself, Mar 10, 9:04am
I really love Denheath Custard squares!The only custard square I would ever buy.Yummy!

radark, Mar 10, 9:25am
i agree the custard was floury tasting and dry and overall nothing to write home about

herself, Mar 10, 9:32am
We must be buying quite different custard squares.I have NEVER had a dry custard square in my life.and if I did I would be returning it and asking for my money back.

fpress, Mar 10, 9:47am
Yep, I agree! The custard squares I used to buy in Sainsburys in London were heaps better than those overpriced creations. Actually I also worked with someone whose hubby made beautiful custrard squares.in Welly.

jaybee6, Mar 11, 4:31am
Well the poster spoke of Lisa like it was her friend so I didnt connect it to the business.

cookessentials, Mar 11, 11:29pm
Well, I love them. I would imagine that the ones other posters have tried, came from a cafe'. You can buy the Denheath custard squares frozen ( which would be how the cafe's buy theirs) hense being a little wet underneath. I would say your cafe's have defrosted them in a microwave.

chrisynz, Mar 12, 8:22am
Denheath Custard Squares are over priced and are not actually that nice.

cookessentials, Mar 12, 8:33pm
It's all personal taste you know!

timetogo, Mar 13, 4:19am
I was expecting something really delcious with the Denheath squares and I was very disappointed.The pastry was gluggy and the filling was quite rubbery.Yuk!

stoats, Mar 13, 6:28am
I also was really dissapointed the filling is too instant pudding tasting, didn't enjoy it at all, give me a real custard square with proper custard any time.

macandrosie, Mar 13, 6:35am
I made them once using Cottees vanilla instant pudding, it's the closest I've ever tasted to the original. I thinks it's an Australian brand of instant pudding, & I've never been able to source it since!

cookessentials, Mar 13, 7:00am
I think that has more to do with where you bought it. I have never had a gluggy or rubbery one yet! I prefer them to the overly yellow coloured gelatenous things from most bakeries.

radark, Mar 13, 7:42am
no it's the denheath ones i've tried and don't rate

wisconsin, Mar 13, 8:39pm
I was at a function a while back where Denheath sponsored custard squares for the afternoon tea.
After much anticipation I was personally very disappointed.Not much flavour and didn't like the textures.Leaving the function I saw there were lots of plates with partially eaten squares left on them so I thought I wasn't the only one not to like them.

herself, Mar 14, 1:21am
MmmI still love them. Yummo!Sorry for all those who don't care for them, but that's personal taste isn't it!You do or you don't.

karen1172, Mar 20, 8:46am
This isn't a recipe for custard squares but the best custard squares are from Beaut Bakery, Spa Road Taupo. Have cream cheese icing yummmmmm