Swiss Maid Custard... for Trifle?

kazzy2, Dec 23, 11:30pm
Hi all,

Making first ever trifle, can you use the Swiss maid Carton Custard or will it be too runny and a big mess???

Is it possible to thicken it somehow?

Thank you and Merry Xmas :0)

Kazzy

sjordan, Dec 23, 11:31pm
I use it every year. Just make sure its cold when you pour it on and it will be fine

kazzy2, Dec 23, 11:59pm
Thank you - I am a very lumpy custard maker with no custard powder so was hoping you would say that!

Would it be ok to make it now for tomorrow, or make it later this evening would be better, then add the cream last minute?

Thanks again :0)

gardie, Dec 24, 1:26am
I do find its a little runny and tends to fall off the trifle - have used it though and it tastes great.Got from fresh cows milk and just made the custard for mine. Yum.

chevyfireball, Dec 24, 2:17am
i use it all the time -it soo yummy

sjordan, Dec 24, 2:58am
I have half my trifle done. I will ad the custard tonight and the cream in the morning.

wildflower, Dec 24, 3:02am
I just made my trifle, I used Edmonds custard and the amount according to the Edmonds cookbook trifle recipe, it was so thick I added a splash more milk.

sjordan, Dec 24, 3:05am
whats the recipe for that one. My edmonds book has gone walking

frogz99, Dec 24, 7:17am
A yummy custard creme for trifle is to add marscapone to the real thick cartoned custard and gently whip.Spread it on top of trifle and put in fridge.I usually have the trifle base made the night before and add the creme about 3-4 hours before serving.It's also yummy in Tiramasu.Prodigal son will be disapointed this year, no trifle, doing berry compote with brioche and marscapone :-)

trader125, Dec 25, 6:00am
I never make custard anymore,always use the swissmaid one now.made a chocolate trifle today with the chocolate custard

amm5, Dec 25, 6:21am
Always make it, as I think the consistency is better and so is the taste

cgvl, Dec 15, 9:19pm
kazzy a trick to making lump free custard.
put the sugar and custard powder in the pot and add the cold milk.
stir to mix
Put pot onto the heat and stirring all the time bring to just about boiling then turn down and continue stirring until custard is the desired thickness.
I use about 1Tbsp sugar (less if you like it less sweet)
2Tbsp custard powder
600mls milk.