Pressure cookers

suzanna, Jul 7, 8:26pm
I have just been given a new pressure cooker but they have never appealed to me so do I truck on and experiment with it or move it onto save space and frustration? Thanks for your thoughts.

ange164, Jul 7, 8:46pm
do you have a slow cooker? If you do, and prefer to use that - move it on.
Otherwise it's real handy for stews and corned beef and such in just an hour or so. Instead of all day stewing/hours casseroling.If you don't cook much of them anyway - move it on.

eljayv, Jul 7, 9:20pm
I have been using my pressure cooker a lot recently for different soups, corned beef, and other things.I have cooked chicken whole on a trivet above the water then just crisped up the skin in the oven it was delicious and still moist.I also cooked some drumsticks before coating and deep frying, that way i know the chicken is cooked through.I am going to do a meat loaf this weekend.I have had a lot of recipe books from the library and they get me thinking about other uses for it.There is a recipe in a local recipe book for something as simple as sausages with apples in a nice sauce which I made one night when I was in a rush.........it took only 6 minutes to cook.

lindylambchops1, Jul 7, 11:17pm
Buy Lisa Loveday's book The New Zealand Pressure Cooker Cookbook.It is very good.I use it all the time.I love my pressure cooker it is so quick for meat dishes.I am totally spoilt as I invested in the Breville Slow Fast cooker which sautes, slow cooks, pressure cooks & warms!Truly versatile.Money well spent.I use it almost every day.

melford, Jul 7, 11:28pm
I loove my pressure cooker. All meats come out perfectly tender and in such a short time. Brilliant for doing the Christmas Pud! Keep it

pods, Jul 8, 12:40am
I have an old zeb pressure cooker and use it all the time I have a habit of not taking my meat out of the freezer in time for the crockpot so use the pressure cooker instead meat turns out better in pressure cooker than the crockpot any way

bunny51, Jul 8, 12:55am
I would love a pressure cooker but I think I have enough gadgets. My mother had one when I was growing up and always cooked the veges in it as well as other stuff

cookessentials, Jul 8, 2:44am
I certainly would not class a pressure cooker as a gadget! The problem with many people is A: they dont know how to use them and B: they are terrified of them. The new pressure cookers are nothing like the ones our Mothers had that near exploded if you looked at them funny. The majority of them just use a dial to release pressure. They cook food in 1/3 of the time and save precious vitamins and minerals in your food. You cannot even compare them with a slow cooker...they are both different animals. Get yourself a good pressure cooker book and experiment.

skye7, Jul 10, 9:22am
lindylambchops1 wrote:
Buy Lisa Loveday's book The New Zealand Pressure Cooker Cookbook.

I agree this book is fantastic. It offers recipes which are tasty and use everyday ingredients. I discovered Pressure Cooking through this book and now can not imagine life without it. My slow cooker has become redundant as the food from the pressure cooker is so much more tasy.