Winning a cupcake comp what recipe to make

rainbowpride, Jul 1, 11:28pm
Hi guys we are having a weekend of challenges here and its started with each of us here pulling a name out of a hat and we had to buy a $10 present.My son got me and I have to say he did great getting me the 4 ingredients recipe book.

The next challenge is a cupcake comp with my wife and I competing against each other with our son blind tasting and choosing the winner.

Now I am having a hard time choosing between a dulce de leche cupcake or a white chocolate mud cupcake which I could squirt some dulce de leche in.

What would you guys choose??

Im the professional baker I would never live if down if I lost this one lol

kimkat1, Jul 1, 11:35pm
White choc mud,, have no idea what the other one is.... sounds like fun....

shop-a-holic, Jul 1, 11:44pm
White Chocolate Mud :-)

kiwitrish, Jul 2, 12:23am
How old is the son who is going to taste the cakes?Most kids like caramel so maybe go with the dulce de leche cup cake.

rainbowpride, Jul 2, 12:26am
He is 12 and he loves caramel and white chocolate lol

babytears, Jul 2, 1:21am
definitely mudcake with that stuff squirted in....mmmmmmmmmmm

deus701, Jul 2, 2:59am
White Choc Mud cupcake with gooey ddl sauce inside. And for extra measure, make a caramel white choc ganache to put on top

whiskey13, Jul 2, 5:22am
*whiskey13 walks in reads thread and asks to be the taste tester*
please, please, please, please. yum to both recipes.Please post back with the winning recipe.

muppet65, Jul 2, 8:35am
definately the 2nd one ......you should post pics

marcs, Jul 2, 12:06pm
dulce de leche - For those that don't know is a South American caramel I think slightly salted.

rainbowpride, Jul 3, 5:37am
OK well it was atie lol I think our son was just being diplomatic lol.

For my recipe I first made the dulce de leche which is time consuming but well worth the effort.
Dulce de Leche
Ingredients
• 1 quart whole milk
• 12 ounces sugar, approximately 1 1/2 cups
• 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Directions
Combine the milk, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds in a large, 4-quart saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the baking soda and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and cook uncovered at a bare simmer. Stir occasionally, but do not re-incorporate the foam that appears on the top of the mixture. Continue to cook for 1 hour. Remove the vanilla bean after 1 hour and continue to cook until the mixture is a dark caramel color and has reduced to about 1 cup, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to a month

I will post the white chocolate mud cupcake next

rainbowpride, Jul 3, 5:39am
For The Cupcakes…
• 4 ounces cake flour
• 4 ounces super fine sugar
• 8 ounces unsalted butter
• 8 ounces white chocolate
• 4 large lightly beaten eggs
• ½ teaspoon baking powder
For The White Ganache Icing…
• 3 ounces white chocolate
• ½ cup heavy cream
For The Chocolate Curls…
• 3 ounces white chocolate
Method:
Preheat your oven to 160° C
Place the butter and chocolate into a double boiler and stir until melted, then set aside.In another bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on slow until thick and well blended, then fold in the flour and baking powder.Slowly add the chocolate and butter mixture and mix until well combined then spoon batter into cases until they are approx half full and then place in the middle rack in your preheated oven.
Bake for approx 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean, then remove and let sit for a few
minutes before removing the cupcakes from the tins and placing them on a wire rack to cool.To make ganache, chop the chocolate and place it over a double boiler with half the cream and stir until melted, then remove from heat and let cool completely.
In a separate bowl, beat the remaining cream with an electric mixer just until you can see traces of the beaters in the cream. Slowly pour the cool chocolate, cream mixture and continue beating until stiff peaks form when the beaters are raised.Cover each cool cupcake with a layer of ganache and refrigerate the rest of the ganache until it is thick enough to hold its shape.
Fill a piping bag with a small star tip with the remaining ganache and pipe a border around the outside of
each cupcake.Melt remaining white chocolate over a double boiler then pour onto a clean bench top or marble slab and
allow to set. When the chocolate it almost hard, drag a large bladed knife over the top of it to form chocolate
curls and lay them on top of the cupcakes.

rainbowpride, Jul 3, 5:58am
My wife made angel food cake cupcakes and they were also devine quite a contrast from a dense mud cake to a light as air angel food cake lol

With the left over egg yolksI made a custard and used some sweet short pastry in some small pie tins I then blind baked and put a layer of the dulce de leche in and then put the custard in and OMG its devine to me as I love caramel and custard you cant get better.

babytears, Jul 3, 6:01am
Thanks so much for posting this will be a recipe for keeps

whiskey13, Jul 3, 9:13am
Yum, thanks so much for posting the recipes. They're printed off and in my recipe folder :)

destiny6nz, Jul 3, 9:51am
yummmy (cut and paste going on here)