Pikelets without eggs

celosia, May 7, 4:30am
most of the recipes for pikelets have eggs in them which I know is for a specific reason, but my grandson is allergic to eggs. If eggs left out, pikelets don't turn out so good, so wondered what I could use as a substitute which will do similar thing the eggs do. Thanks.

pickles7, May 7, 4:37am
You can buy an egg substitute. Something that is handy to have in your pantry. My daughter uses egg substitute in a lot of her baking. You wouldn't even know.

celosia, May 7, 4:40am
thanks for that pickles7 - do you know which aisleI would find it at a supermarket please?Sounds exactly what I need.

pickles7, May 7, 4:46am
I cannot say I have looked for it. I did see it in Bin Inn, it sort of jumped out at me. lol. You could look where custard powders etc are. My Daughter used it for a Vegan, she cooked for once.

celosia, May 7, 4:48am
ok thanks very much.I will have a look by the eggs and where you suggest, otherwise will try Bin Inn.Very much appreciated.

duckmoon, May 7, 5:30am
perhaps the allergy NZ website might help you with this specific question, or other baking ideas

kirnik, May 7, 5:36am
google egg replacements - has a list of everyday items that can easily replace egg - eg baking powder, oil, water, apple puree, banana etc

jessie981, May 7, 5:44am

smileeah, May 7, 5:59am
I have used 1T golden syrup in place of an egg when I only had two eggs for a recipe but needed three. The end result was lovely. BUT golden syrup may only work to stretch egg further rather than replace it completely, I'm not sure.
I did come across the following recipe which may or may not be helpful.
http://kylie.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/isabellas-pancakes-egg-free/

nanasee1, May 7, 6:19am
I use Orgran No Egg Natural egg replacer. I have a grandie that is egg & diary free. I use my usual pikelet recipe with egg replacer & water and it seems to work just fine. None left on the plate to go stale! I get the replacer at New World in the section that has Gluten-free & diet supplement style of foods. Around $6 from memory & it replaces 66 eggs, handy to have when short of eggs in normal baking and economical.

celosia, May 7, 6:28am
thank you everyone so much. I do use pureed apple in some cooking where eggs are required for binding, but in pikelets I didn't think apple would do the same as the egg would.However I do appreciate all the suggestions and websites provided.

macandrosie, May 7, 9:11am
you can also try a tablespoon of golden syrup in place of an egg, yummy!

celosia, May 8, 8:43pm
hi macandrosie, my pikelet recipe does have golden syrup in it anyway along with two eggs. Must admit golden syrup does make a difference.

macandrosie, May 10, 4:32am
THis is a recipe I use:
1 tab butter melted
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tab golden syrup
1 beaten egg
11/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
Melt butter & syrup & sugar. (Instead of egg you could double amount of g syrup) Add milk, then dry ingreds. These pikelets stay fresher a little longer I think because of the cream of tartar & baking soda. They are nice.