"soft or liquid" foods after mouth surgery,ideas?

aw217, May 6, 10:18am
I am having Jaw surgery and will need soft or liquid foods to eat for a few weeks, anyone have ideas other than yogurt and soup?

tielfan, May 6, 10:21am
mousse or souffle are good.

olwen, May 6, 10:29am
Porridge, pureed fruit.You could eat pate from a spoon :-).Mince might also work.

cheeseepoof, May 6, 10:58am
soggy biscuit

herself, May 6, 11:09am
Omelets or scrambled eggs - could add cheese which would melt into the egg.

ksr, May 6, 11:10am
Pureed sweet and sour chicken of the homemade variety, pureed is tasty.

nfh1, May 6, 11:17am
Smoothie?

Hope the surgery goes well.

n00dle, May 6, 11:35am
As awful as it sounds, I was quite happy eating baby food from the supermarket ...

annie.nz, May 6, 1:12pm
Avoid acid/sharp foods though, they'll sting.

toadfish, May 6, 6:50pm
Slow cooked Lamb pieces (or shoulder chops), Barley, Carrots & Onion.....

Basically anything done in the slow cooker with mashed potatoes as it all just falls apart.

My daughter had major oral surgery and it was amazing what she could eat not long after the op....

gypsy11, May 6, 7:46pm
I had my jaw wired together a long time ago, and used to get fed moolied down veges (silverbeet, potato, carrot etc) to this day I actually still really like it! Know it may sound a bit gross to some but I really like it!

But maybe also rissotto may be quite good?

sue1955, May 6, 9:48pm
Treat yourself to some Greek Yogurt & mash a banana through it. I had that for breakfast for a week after having 2 teeth implanted.

dbab, May 6, 10:13pm
Avocado is very good,
Soup is good.
You could make casseroles and put them through the blender. I ate like this for a couple of weeks before surgery once. It gets a bit boring, but at least you're getting some goodness into you.

bedazzledjewels, May 6, 10:34pm
Cauli mash - yum. Chuck in all sorts of veges you fancy , microwave and zap with the stab mixer, after you've added butter and wholegrain mustard.
And also scrambled eggs to keep your protein levels up.

petal-pickle, May 7, 12:08am
Try to include a few protein shakes as you won't be having the same amount of meat you usually have, use protein powder, weetbix, banana/frozen berries and milk, maybe honey if you need it.You may find the weetbix helps to keep your bowels moving.It is common to lose a bit of weight at this stage so if you are underweight try to eat a bit extra before your surgery.Poached fish is good, mashed potato n gravy, curried scrambled eggs tec, try to keep it varied and add spices if necessary to keep it tasty and interesting.Try to continue eating about the same quantity of food as you usually would throughout your healing period as this gives your body the energy required to heal itself.Good luck.

ffloss, May 7, 12:27am
Rice custard, soups. Boil up all the vegs and puree them just like we do for the babies. Good luck.

kinna54, May 7, 2:09am
If you have to eat moulied food still mouli each item separeat, i.e pumpkin, spud, and serve it in spoonfuls on your plate. just looks so much more palatable, and tastes better.( Part of my ex catering duties at one time was to prepare moulied meals for old folks home. I refused to serve them gross looking mush, and always did it that way. The residents always ate much more heartily.) Mince and shepherds pie, fish pie could be okay. Soft baked egg custards and rice puds for dessert.
Hope you recover quickly.

schnauzer11, May 7, 9:33am
I'm with gypsy11-after major stomach surgery a few years ago I couldn't eat solids for a couple of weeks.I'd put cooked vegies I liked,with some cooked meat,in the blender.Seasoning will help,make a kind of pate.(I like chicken-livers,so often sauteed them and used as the meat portion-even more like pate!!)All the best.

munrotti, May 7, 11:08am
Kfc potato and gravy.Actually low in fat, and tastes good

leebee35, May 7, 11:26am
When I had a Stomach surgery... KFC potato and gravy was the trick + icecream, yogurt and Jelly.

aw217, May 7, 11:50am
Thanks for the ideas and comments. I am having part of my jaw bone chisled off so I can open my mouth fully, I like the mashed veges and scrambled egg ideas....I will write the ideas down to have on hand when I cant think of what to eat, Thanks! surgery next thursday.

petal1955, May 7, 10:49pm
I used to cooked a normal meal then whizz it up with either a hand whizz stick or in the FP and eat it that way....beleive me you will get sick of yoghurt,custard, scambled eggs after a week.....and crave decent food like meat potatoes and veggies