Spice help..

t.gypsy, Apr 21, 12:56am
I have an array of spices in my cupboards and like to add a bit each week. Now I am after the spice that is known for its earthy flavour and i am not sure if its tumeric or cumin?? I know its yellow.

davidt4, Apr 21, 12:59am
Tumeric is intense yellow and has a sharp citric aroma.It is very strongly flavoured but hard to describe.Cumin is a tan colour and has a strongly earthy aroma, almost sweaty.Why not buy both - they are not expensive, then you can decide for yourself.

cookessentials, Apr 21, 1:32am
Saffron has the earthy taste and when used in cooking, gives it a beautiful yellow colour. Turmeric is often used to colour dishes instead of saffron because it is cheaper. Saffron usually comes as threads which you soak in a little water before use. Cumin,although it has an earthy taste, is not yellow.

lakestar, Apr 21, 1:41am
I think it is turmeric that smells like dirt LOL really good for you though! and turmeric is the yellow one. cumin is good for pumpkin soup or rice

cookessentials, Apr 21, 1:44am
Yes, turmeric is very good for you and is used in ayurverdic practice.
http://www.turmeric.co.in/turmeric_ayurvedic_use.htm

when buying spices, just buy a little at a time and use it quickly as they can lose their intensity and flavour over time.

t.gypsy, Apr 21, 3:09am
Thanks guys real help I will get both the cumin and tumeric. I use a lot of tarragon in the cooking... On the hunt for the actual plant lol.

cookessentials, Apr 21, 3:16am
I have tarragon, it is not always the easiest herb to grow.

davidt4, Apr 21, 4:36am
French tarragon is dying down at the moment - it is best in late spring through to early autumn.Keep an eye open for plants from September onwards, and make sure that you get FRENCH tarragon, not Russian, as the Russian has no flavour whatever.French tarragon likes good drainage and plenty of sun.

chinju, Apr 21, 8:28am
And also loves chicken! :)

t.gypsy, Apr 21, 11:13am
we've good an excellent backyard for that with a vast array of areas from shady,damp to sunny. And is the French tarragon the common one you buy dried from shops??

davidt4, Apr 21, 9:51pm
I haven't used dried tarragon for so long that I don't know what it's like these days.The odd times I did use it (decades ago) it didn't have much character.Maybe freeze-dried it might be okay but I prefer to use it fresh and in season.

cookessentials, Apr 21, 9:59pm
I'm not sure. I have French tarragon, not huge, but enough for what I need. I have it ina half wine barrel in a sheltered sunny spot. Fresh herbs of any kind are always so much better. If you can, get yourself a bay tree, they grow huge, so keep it in a pot and cut it back to keep it small. Fresh bay leaves do make such a difference as opposedto dried.

t.gypsy, Apr 22, 12:56am
I have an array of spices in my cupboards and like to add a bit each week. Now I am after the spice that is known for its earthy flavour and i am not sure if its tumeric or cumin! I know its yellow.

norse_westie, Apr 22, 2:07am
Cardamom is another spice that is under-represented in much cooking. Its a staple of my cooking - sweet and savoury.

davidt4, Apr 22, 2:23am
I agree.Cardamom is a wonderful spice, for cakes, biscuits and puddings as well as in savoury dishes.Star anise is another in this category.

t.gypsy, Apr 22, 3:09am
Thanks guys real help I will get both the cumin and tumeric. I use a lot of tarragon in the cooking. On the hunt for the actual plant lol.

norse_westie, Apr 22, 4:40am
Yes indeed. Cardamom shortbread is very nice, although the kids werent that keen. I've got star anise but havent used it that much. Must find some challenges.

davidt4, Apr 22, 5:48am
Star anise is a lovely flavouring for custard or ice cream.MakeAnglaise from:

1 ¼ c milk
1 ¼ c cream
4 egg yolks
4 star anise crushed
½ c sugar.

When thickened strain and cool.

t.gypsy, Apr 22, 11:13am
we've good an excellent backyard for that with a vast array of areas from shady,damp to sunny. And is the French tarragon the common one you buy dried from shops!

davidt4, Apr 22, 9:51pm
I haven't used dried tarragon for so long that I don't know what it's like these days.The odd times I did use it (decades ago) it didn't have much character.Maybe freeze-dried it might be okay but I prefer to use it fresh and in season.

cookessentials, Apr 22, 9:59pm
I'm not sure. I have French tarragon, not huge, but enough for what I need. I have it ina half wine barrel in a sheltered sunny spot. Fresh herbs of any kind are always so much better. If you can, get yourself a bay tree, they grow huge, so keep it in a pot and cut it back to keep it small. Fresh bay leaves do make such a difference as opposedto dried.

norse_westie, Apr 23, 4:40am
Yes indeed. Cardamom shortbread is very nice, although the kids werent that keen. I've got star anise but havent used it that much. Must find some challenges.