Non Fail HotX Bun receipe Failed

glynsmum, Apr 17, 2:01am
or I did I have a Breville Large Loaf breadmakerI did every thing up to putting in fruit as my dough mix only kneads a short while so did"nt intergrate properly It kneads about a 15 mins so was a bit late putting in fruit in then goes to rise about 53 mins so then put on tray in warm room they looked ok so put in the oven with egg wash for 20mins on fan they look flat and are cripy too hard on the outside Help I just cannot seem to cook Easter buns

weezil, Apr 17, 2:07am
well that makes 2 of us, think I might just buy a packet from the shop.

addington261, Apr 17, 2:11am
Happened to me as well.

glynsmum, Apr 17, 2:35am
Yea!! dont feel such a dum dum now

nickyd, Apr 17, 2:57am
Perhaps its the breadmaker, or the order you need to put ingredients in for your particular breadmaker- each one is different?

lizab, Apr 17, 3:37am
Sorry to hear that. Sometimes I forget to put the raisins in and when I've realised, even when the dough's only got half an hour left until it's done, I chuck the raisins in then and restart the whole dough cycle - never had a problem with them being flat or crispy! (My breadmaker is a Breville Model BB290)

kiwibubbles, Apr 17, 3:41am
I usually always fail at hot x buns but i used the recipe from Alison and Simon Holst's bread book and they came out delicious> I have a Breville too and bought fresh dry yeast from the supermarket.
Apparently the order of ingredients only matters if you're using a delayed timer. If you're not, then you can chuck them in any ole way lol

lizab, Apr 17, 3:46am
you do have to use 3 'very' heaped cups of flour. Maybe you didn't use enough?

glynsmum, Apr 17, 4:48am
The Flour was ok but I just checked date on yeast 2009

lizab, Apr 17, 4:56am
hopefully you'll try them again with a new batch of yeast (red top Surebake)

lilyfield, Apr 17, 5:34am
Apparently the order of ingredients only matters if you're using a delayed timer. If you're not, then you can chuck them in any ole way lol

add to this: in any ole breadmaker

you are so right. Its only people who do not understand breadmaking that follow recipes to the T.

camper18, Apr 17, 5:43am
Have been using yeast granules from Binn Inn this past week and my bread and spice loaves ( Kinna 45s recipe ) have been superb, trying to push the lid up and I only used ½ as much as Surebake. Wont be going back to S/B again.

buzzy110, Apr 17, 6:42am
In commercial ovens, when dough is put in to cook, there is a steam cycle. To replicate this in a domestic oven you could either spray the sides and bottom of the oven with water, using a sprayer, or put a metal tin into the oven when you are heating the oven and throw in a couple of ice cubes when you put the dough in to cook.

In another thread, I learned that butter and eggs retard yeast rising. To overcome this I suggest you leave your buns to prove till they are at the correct height before putting into the oven and not rely on 'oven bloom' to provide the final burst of rising.

lizab, Apr 17, 7:39am
You're right Buzzy, you do need to let dough rise until it's the correct height (many many hours for an Italian eggy, buttery Panettone!)

buzzy110, Apr 17, 8:11am
Oh thanks lizab. One more poster to reinforce what I learned from davidt4. I was going to do some sweet sour dough this Easter, just for fun so I know will need to factor in a few extra hours of rising time.

nickyd, Apr 17, 8:46am
I don't know if it is correct or not but we often gently warm a wheatbag and put it under the tin while waiting for the final rising bit and usually get great results - much better than just a warm room alone.....and it decreases waiting time
My daughter made this following recipe tonight and was just lovely - got it from another NZ food website a couple of years ago- thanks Raewyn G!
HOT X BUNS

125mls warm milk
125mls warm water
½C brown sugar
4 t active dried yeast (not surebake!)
75g (barely melted) butter
1 large egg
½tsp salt
4 C flour
1 ½ T mixed spice
1 ½ T cinnamon
1 t vanilla essence
1 C currants (can be added during the kneading process) (mine got a bit chopped up by adding them at the beginning)

Set to the dough setting on breadmaker
When done, cut the dough into 4 and then each piece into 4 or 5. Roll into balls and place on a sprayed oven dish about 1 cm apart. Cover with plastic wrap and put in a warm place and allow to double in size.
Before baking mix up some self raising flour and water to make a runny paste. Put into a plastic bag and cut the very corner off to make a piping bag. Pipe on the crosses.
Bake at approx 225 °C for 10 -12 mins. (My oven is a bit fierce so I cooked mine at approx 180 °C with the fan on, for 10 mins. )
When cooked and straight from the oven brush over the following glaze: 1 T of each golden syrup, honey and water which has been boiled together

kiwibubbles, Apr 17, 11:05pm
haha that recipe from nickyd is exactly the same recipe from the alison holst bread book i mentioned above. Made some this morning - just waiting for them to rise - can't wait!

nzl99, Apr 17, 11:58pm
If it helps, mine weren't very good either. haha Left them in the oven for 5 minutes too long and they have black bottoms!