Big oven versus benchtop oven >>>

korbo, Apr 15, 10:22pm
Have been wanting to use benchtop oven more now there are only *2 of us* at home.
Like to heat 4 hotx buns, seems a waste to use big oven.
What I really want to know, is. the power useage. Like if you only put the buns in for say 5 mins. I wonder which would be the best to run.
get what I mean. Only trouble is, bench oven is not in a handy place on bench..

lx4000, Apr 15, 11:19pm
I would say bench top is cheaper to run as your heating up less area. I use mine to keep things warm (just made pancakes and kept them warm till all was made.) Small amounts that will fit like roasting veggies or heating and browning spag bol etc and great for mouse traps! Mine is rather small and I wouldn't bake in mine sadly but them again, I always make double and freeze some down.

mothergoose_nz, Apr 15, 11:21pm
i use a benchtop.it sits on my stove that i dont use except for the hot points to plug in appliances.no way would i switch on the stove.

nojack, Apr 16, 12:18pm
I also live by benchtop oven alone. When I built the kitchen I purposely did not put in a conventional oven. Started out cooking for two, but now it's just me, the dog and the cat (and they eat raw). I have a small, two-burner gas cooktop, but if I was to do it again I would make it a four-burner, or just a bigger two-burner. Inconvenient when trying to cook in pots / pans. I still might change that one day. My benchtop oven is quite large (bigger than a toaster oven). I have never once missed having a full-size oven. As for power usage, I've never calculated. Can only imagine it uses less though.

waipawa, Apr 16, 12:27pm
My elderly benchtop oven heats up in 5 min's versus 15 for the conventional. That plus less than one quarter of the volume of airspace being heated have to make the benchtop MUCH more economical. I only ever use the big one for heating up frozen pizza that won't fit in the benchtop. I've even done casseroles in the benchtop. It's one of the most useful items I have ever owned and I highly recommend them for 1 and 2 person households :-)

max10, Apr 17, 5:41am
find my bench top oven is very hot as in does not have very good temp control even on low its very hot, does anyone else have this problem

lilyfield, Apr 17, 7:22am
choose your new benchtop oven carefully- A good thermostat and accurate temperature control is essential. the cheaper ones just won't do. Then you WILL save a lot of power. For the smaller household.