Annabel Langbein's book - Free range Cook

jan2242, Apr 11, 11:57pm
is available on pre order from www.bookdepository.co.uk for 15 pounds UK - around $31NZ. Also free postage. I cannot work out how they can sell cheaper back to us than we can buy the book here. Just thought others might be interested. Makes you wonder how much mark up NZ book stores are charging too.

cookessentials, Apr 12, 1:31am
Believe it or not Jan, the mark up on books is extremely small ( belive me, I know as I sell them) there is no wholesale price on books in NZ

sew.obsessed, Apr 12, 1:42am
I have the book. Who can recommend some recipes to try? I have only made the flat bread so far. . . .

cookessentials, Apr 12, 3:28am
Her no rise bread is delicous as is her pork belly in milk, green beans and lemon

dege79, Apr 12, 3:30am
Thanxs for that jan2242 I will order myself a copy now.

bearskin, Apr 12, 4:20am
A fabulous book. One day I plan to start at the front and cook absolutely everything in it (a la Julia & Julie)

bearskin, Apr 12, 4:28am
Also, I was in the UK in February and bought a copy of Nigella 'Kitchen' hardback for

dorothy_vdh, Apr 12, 7:30pm
yes thank you jan I too have ordered a copy.
I had this book on my Christmas wish list last year, but didn't get it

sumstyle, Apr 12, 7:38pm
Chilli jam was fun

rainrain1, Apr 12, 8:08pm
The slow roasted tomatoes are soooo good

johne21, Apr 12, 8:09pm
strawberry cloud cake is a winner

pickles7, Apr 12, 9:26pm
Not the mark up , it could be tied up in tax.or, Maybe a resident UK. Publisher is printing the books for her.

nfh1, Apr 12, 9:34pm
Yes it is silly - I buy textbooks, published in NZ from BD for usually half the price here.The delivery is excellent - usually 5 to 10 working days.

skippie1, Apr 13, 7:18am
I bake her no kneed wholemeal bread, it's delicious and so easy to make. It's just like Vogel's bread and you alter the recipe to suit once you have made it several times.

sumstyle, Apr 15, 11:34pm
The roasted pepper pesto is amazing - I made it on the hottest day in summer which made the oven work uncomfortable but by golly it tasted yummy!Red peppers were on special this week so I'm going to do it again today.

I'll make the corn and avocado salad this weekend and have it with chicken nibbles roasted with the chili jam.

The most adventurous recipe I've made was the tea smoked salmon and given that I don't like fresh salmon much, this was very simple to do and incredibly tasty.

hohee, Apr 16, 12:14am
kippiei,may I have that recipe if it is not too much trouble,with the price of bread coming up would like to bake my own. Thank you.

cookessentials, Apr 16, 1:22am
The bread is delicious, freezes well too, so you can make two loaves and freeze one

cookessentials, Apr 16, 1:38am
Busy People's Bread ( Makes two loaves)

2 cups boiling water
4 tsp honey
2 cups cold water
7 tsp dry yeast granules
2¾ cups high-grade white flour
2¾ cups wholemeal flour
3 tsp salt
2 cups sunflower seeds
4 tbsp pumpkin seeds

Preheat oven to just 80ºC and grease and line two 25 x 10cm loaf tins with baking paper.
In a large bowl, mix the boiling water with the honey to dissolve. Add the cold water and yeast and put to one side for 10 minutes.
Whisk the yeast mixture then add white and wholemeal flour, salt and sunflower seeds and mix with a large spoon until evenly combined. (The mixture will be a very loose, wet batter.)
Divide mixture between prepared loaf tins, spread evenly and flatten the top. Sprinkle 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds over the top of each loaf and, run a sharp knife through the top of each loaf in at least 3 or 4 places so it rises evenly without splitting.
Bake for 20 minutes at 80ºC and then turn up the oven to 210˚C and bake for a further 30-40 minutes. When cooked, the loaves will sound hollow when tapped. Turn out of the tins while still hot and leave to cool. This bread stays fresh for several days and toasts well.

rmwhaanga, Apr 16, 2:32am
I am making the Lemongrass and Chilli Chicken tonight is so easy and very tasty. The ultimate chocolate cake is also very good have made it several times and it is so quick and very moist.

jaz8, Apr 16, 3:34am
I made that the other night and it was terrible. I am not that bad of a cook, and I followed the directions exactly so I am not sure what went wrong, but it definitely didn't taste like the pork belly I have tried elsewhere, which was a shame. I had the in-laws around too! The beans with lemon were yummy though.

jaz8, Apr 16, 3:37am
I love her recipes, I use them to plan my weekly shop quite regularly. Love the chermoula marinade and the lemongrass chicken, like you. I am particularly fond of the minty mojitos and summer sangria too..

cookessentials, Apr 16, 6:23am
so, what was it about it that was terrible?