Non fail HotXBun recipe wanted 4 breadmaker.

Page 2 / 3
lizab, Apr 18, 6:54pm
Thank goodness for our breadmakers eh bullock123!! Julzienz, my daughter hates the fruit too!! I think using choc chips would be fine - give it a go and tell us :)

nzl99, Apr 18, 8:19pm
My breadmaker on the 'rise' portion of the dough cycle was too warm and melted the chocolate... next time I'd take the dough out and do the first rise on the bench.

amourette, Apr 19, 1:54am
Another beginner here too......I found when my dough was done it was so sticky I couldn't even form the balls, I managed to pop it onto a tray and baked it as a large loaf and it has come up nice.I think my breadmaker must have let it rise too on the dough cycle......could I have put a little flour on it to shape the balls?TIA, and it turned out yummy as a loaf!

amourette, Apr 19, 1:57am
oh ok, just saw other thread, maybe needed some more flour as wasn't that heaped up.......will try again later in week

julzienz, Apr 19, 7:36am
Would I be able to make the first recipe with chocolate chips instead of fruit! My household is fussy and don't like fruit, but do like the spiceyness of the buns! + chocolate. Thanks

lizab, Apr 19, 6:54pm
Thank goodness for our breadmakers eh bullock123! Julzienz, my daughter hates the fruit too! I think using choc chips would be fine - give it a go and tell us :)

nzl99, Apr 19, 8:19pm
My breadmaker on the 'rise' portion of the dough cycle was too warm and melted the chocolate. next time I'd take the dough out and do the first rise on the bench.

amourette, Apr 20, 1:54am
Another beginner here too.I found when my dough was done it was so sticky I couldn't even form the balls, I managed to pop it onto a tray and baked it as a large loaf and it has come up nice.I think my breadmaker must have let it rise too on the dough cycle.could I have put a little flour on it to shape the balls!TIA, and it turned out yummy as a loaf!

amourette, Apr 20, 1:57am
oh ok, just saw other thread, maybe needed some more flour as wasn't that heaped up.will try again later in week

murdoc4, Apr 20, 7:52am
Thanks for the great recipe, I made it two hours after seeing it posted!Amazing smells and so easy, stayed soft till next day also.I glazed mine with sugar and water that I boiled for 3mins.

nzl99, Apr 20, 9:53am
I burnt the bottoms on mine *sighs* So have cut the burnt bums off, sliced them into thick slices and will make Hot Cross Bread and Butter Pudding.

actros2, Apr 21, 10:08pm
I don't have a fan bake oven so what temperature would I set this recipe at please?

lilyfield, Apr 21, 10:59pm

lizab, Apr 22, 12:26am
170 degrees

actros2, Apr 22, 1:36am
Thanks for the replies. Woe is me I must be the only one who can stuff up a no fail recipe. I put all the ingredients into the breadmaker (only had it a few days so a real newbie) and the dough came out SO sticky I thought I would never get my hands free! I couldn't manage balls so have chucked the whole sticky mess on a tray and will let it rise a bit then cook it as a sort of loaf. Sigh...just as well the family are used to cooking disasters.

lizab, Apr 22, 2:05am
Hopefully it won't be a complete disaster. Note for next time you try it, the cups of flour need to be very heaped!! Happy Easter :)

actros2, Apr 22, 2:09am
Thanks will try that, Happy Easter to you too!

gardie, Apr 22, 4:45am
30 mins at 180 - if the oven isn't so hot, they don't brown so much.The extra content from the fruit tends to brown them.Good to hear of all the successes.

sclaredy_cat, Apr 22, 5:05am
Wow lizab, I had long ago given up ever making these successfully. I tried your recipe thinking I would have yet another disaster, but they were ok. Good, even. A bit on the runny side sO they spread a bit, and cooking them for 20 minutes resulted in them being a bit dark. So I upped the flour to 4 cups, baked them for 15 minutes. OMG. I will never buy them again! Thanks for sharing :)

standard, Apr 22, 9:13am
Anyone got a fail safe and easy receipe for someone who hasn't got a breadmaker?
Thanks!

lizab, Apr 22, 9:32pm
you can make them by hand by using the same recipe :)

hooksie60, Apr 22, 9:58pm
is this definitly plain flour or high grade as used in bread making? hope some who has made them can help me

lilyfield, Apr 22, 10:04pm
any flour- I have made them. But as both flours are the same price _ only stock high grade- good for anything.

lizab, Apr 22, 10:07pm
I use budget plain white flour - just make sure the cups are really well heaped!!

actros2, Apr 22, 10:08pm
I don't have a fan bake oven so what temperature would I use for this recipe please!