When to make Christmas cake?

Page 2 / 3
retired, Oct 31, 6:43pm
Forgot to say the book was first published in 1927.Cake in the oven this morning.

alebix, Oct 31, 7:28pm
A friend of mine made hers a month ago. She will now pour a nip of brandy over it each week till xmas... its left on top of her coal range and it tastes really good and I dont like xmas cake...

lilyfield, Nov 1, 12:30am
traditionally Labour Weekend

purplegoanna, Nov 1, 12:34am
1st december i do mine...

cgvl, Nov 1, 1:57am
My mum always made ours during the August school holidays so early september, never wrapped it in anything other than baking paper, the clean newsprint or a brown paper bag and several layers of newspaper. Into back of cupboard until about a week before xmas when she would haul it out and ice it.
Must admit the one I make has the fruit soaked in alcohol, the longer the better and I used one I had made 12 months or more before for a wedding cake and DH pulled it out of the pantry the other day and said we really should eat this. Nothing wrong with it still as good as the day I made it, mind you it did soak for a month in whisky first lol.

bridgetmcl, Oct 30, 6:37pm
How long before Christmas do you normally make yours!

molly37, Oct 30, 7:06pm
Yeah, i'm wondering too. Always counted on Mum to make us one, thinking I might try it myself this year. Do i have to freeze it, or will it last in a tupperware container or wrapped in Glad Wrap.

dorothy_vdh, Oct 30, 7:28pm
I made mine last weekend. I don't put alcohol in ours. I just put it into the freezer,and it comes out just perfect and ready to be iced a few days before christmas

raewyn64, Oct 30, 9:47pm
my hubby wants me to make ours now - only I know there won't be any left come Christmas lol :)

bridgetmcl, Oct 30, 10:33pm
We usually cut ours at the beginning of Dec and there's still a bit left at Christmas.

southerngurl, Oct 31, 12:42am
Hubby started soaking the fruit in alcohol a few weeks ago. he then makes the cake bout end of nov. and tops up with brandy after that

kiwibubbles, Oct 31, 2:20am
surely a fruit cake doesn't need to be freezed!
i always make mine about labour weekend, and leave it to cool in the tin. Prior to taking it out, pour a couple tablespoons of brandy on top, then wrap in alum foil and put it away. A couple weeks before xmas I then ice it. Hvae never needed to freeze it, and it lasts a few months easy.

kiwibubbles, Oct 31, 2:20am
If you freeze it, doesn't this mean the fruit cake won't mature!

lynja, Oct 31, 3:32am
interesting point kiwibubbles, however i freeze mine now too. it really comes out beautifully. yet to be made, within a week of two probaby. i leave it in the paper etc it is cooked in. wrap in tin foil, an put in a plastic bag and freeze. not really the traditional way of storage but it does keep well. we usually dont cut ours until christmas day, although thats prob silly as everyone is too full to have any! just looks good!

timetable, Oct 31, 3:34am
all done and in the tin, tucked at the back of the cupboard.i use gingerale, but still find that it holds just as well as one with booze and taste divine!make it now its great timeing and takes the stress out of those last few weeks leading up to the big day.

52many, Oct 31, 4:32am
I remember I bought a christmas cake from Countdown a very long time ago and it was absolutely delicious. Everyone wanted the receipe and I said no it was a family secret! I have never to this day been able to replicate it so if anyone knows about the receipe then I will be forever grateful! Yes, my nose is longer for the lie!

retired, Oct 31, 5:37am
My birthday is on Boxing Day, not saying how many years.I was a child during the war years (second that is) and my Birthday Cake always had snow and Father Christmas on it.My mother and aunt saved fruit rations and sugar etc all year to make the cake and it was always cut on my birthday.My cake is mixed and in the tin, will go in the oven tomorrow morning.I have made the same cake since I first married almost 57 years ago and you can leave it standing overnight to cook the next day.Love the smell that fills the house at Christmas time.

52many, Oct 31, 6:01am
Wow, retired, that is fantastic!(Not to mention your star status!) Would you share your recipe! I love these older recipes made with love and imagination! My MIL makes things from the top of her head and they are awesome but her christmas pud that she makes every year for every child, is amazzzzing! Still complete with coins.

retired, Oct 31, 6:12am
Hi 52many I will put it on tomorrow.It is from an old cookery book that was in the first house we bought in 1954.It was old then and had been left with the cooker.I used the recipe for a three tiered wedding cake for my niece and I said at the time I never wanted to see a pack of butter for a long time.

alebix, Oct 31, 7:28pm
A friend of mine made hers a month ago. She will now pour a nip of brandy over it each week till xmas. its left on top of her coal range and it tastes really good and I dont like xmas cake.

purplegoanna, Nov 1, 12:34am
1st december i do mine.

uli, Nov 1, 7:56am
bump for the Xmas cake cooks.

korban, Nov 1, 11:14pm
I have made two cakes so far - wrapped in the brown paper they are cooked in, then in two layers of greaseproof paper, then two layers of newspaper and put in the top of the pantry.

mattdylan, Nov 1, 11:24pm
I made ours last night, thanks to Gardie's recipe. Now it's wrapped up tightly with newspaper and baking paper and finally cling wrap, in the fridge now till December 25 :)

lilyfield, Nov 2, 1:06am
traditionally-- Labour Weekend

but not here any more- hardly worth it for a single occupant