Moudly cheese

indigojo, Oct 7, 1:06am
Hi,I have two blocks of cheese (tasty and parmesan) in my fridge that have gone moudly in the last week. The mould is white & green in colour, on the outside of the cheese (which are still in their packaging) and fuzzy.

Is there anything that I can do storage wise that would reduce the mould growth?
I usually store the cheese in its original packaging in the dairy compartment on the fridge door, I am just surprised that 2 blocks have gone moudly when I have previously had no issue with mouldy cheese...

cookessentials, Oct 7, 1:10am
How long have you had them? a calico bag is always good. Check your fridge door seal too, to make sure that it is sealing properly.

indigojo, Oct 7, 1:19am
had the cheese less than a month, the Parmesan only had a small bit grated of the end (and I always use a clean knife or grater to cut cheese). Fridge seal seems good too...I've got another block of Edam cheese in a tupperware container (with a broken seal) and that block hasn't got any mould...

pericles, Oct 7, 1:22am
a cheesemaker told me, never store on the door.
The temp changes too much from when the door opens

indigojo, Oct 7, 1:26am
right, will move the cheese into the main body of the fridge...

mallee, Oct 7, 1:56am
Thank you for that. It's something I never knew.....as she goes to remove her cheese in the fridge door :-) :-)

uli, Oct 7, 2:22am

nauru, Oct 7, 6:13am
Once opened I wrap the cheese block in lunchwrap/greaseproof paper, put inside a ziplock bag and store it the chiller compartment of my fridge.It keeps very well this way and I have never had it go mouldy.

rainstorm, Oct 7, 7:56pm
I grate and freeze the bulk of mine. Freezes very well. Then I have only a small amount on the block and it doesn't get time to develop mould.

player_smurf, May 14, 2:17pm
Tupperware cheese keeper is brilliant...you can keep a block in there for weeks and it doesn't go mouldy.Worth the investment IMO.