Chinese Squid/Fish balls

obviousas, Aug 19, 3:54am
Anyone has tried them at the food stalls will notice the texture is chewy and has a bouncy elasticity. I can only describe very badly.

I can make fish balls from fresh hoki or trevally but not with squid or beef.

But does anyone know what type of flour is use to make them?

davidt4, Aug 19, 4:02am
They do not normally contain any flour. The fish is processed and beaten until very smooth and that is what makes them bouncy. The same thing will happen with beef, but I'm not sure about squid because it has a completely different texture.

obviousas, Aug 19, 4:48am
Thanks.

I am quite sure the frozen fish balls and similar have some sort of ingredients other than just fish. It is too costly to not have some cheaper ingredients.

hestia, Aug 19, 7:34am
Cornflour - but don't use too much, or they will turn out floury.

obviousas, Aug 20, 10:19am
How much (cornflour) do u reckon I should put for 500 gms of squid, pls.

hestia, Aug 20, 10:40am
I reckon about 3 tablespoons.

obviousas, Aug 21, 5:41am
I love squid but can only consume so much as it is considered high cholesterol.

Thanks for the recipe, hestia. I may have to add hoki to make them bind better if your recipe doesn't work.

Is it true that squid is really bad? I know that shell fish is considered bad as it contains high amounts of cholesterol. Any nutritionist out there who can confirm this?

hestia, Aug 21, 6:39am
If you are worried about the cholesterol, then eat them in moderation. I don't believe in depriving yourself of food that you enjoy eating, so maybe do something like one portion once or twice a week. Also, if you do not get your cholesterol from your food, then your body is capable of making its own cholesterol. There are many other factors which determine whether you have a healthy lifestyle (exercise, a balanced diet with fruits and vegetables, etc).

You can also do one batch of squid balls and on batch of fish balls, and have some of each, so that you cut down on the amount of cholesterol in each meal.

hestia, Aug 23, 5:56am
I finally dug up a recipe. It is for deep fried fish balls, but if you want you could just boil the fish balls. Just use the recipe as a guide.

hestia, Feb 18, 10:41pm
Golden Fish Balls

275 grams minced fish
1/2 tsp salt
1 T cornflour
1/2 tsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 beaten egg white
2 tsp water
pinch of white pepper

Mix all the ingredients together. Stir until firm and sticky. Chill for 2-4 hours. Divide fish paste into 12 portions. Shape into round balls, coat slightly with cornflour. Deep fry until cooked and golden brown.