Going to do some baking this afternoon

vintagekitty, Jul 29, 4:08am
what shall I make, choc chip cookies or peanut brownies- its for old people, prob not the peanut brownies because of false teeth? ? . It has to be a choice between the 2 as those are the only types im good at!

cookessentials, Jul 29, 4:48am
Chocolate chippies- far easier with their teeth as you say!

juliewn, Jul 29, 4:48am
Hi. . choccy chippies in case anyone has a peanut allergy. .

juliewn, Jul 29, 4:49am
snap Pam! ! ! :-)

vintagekitty, Jul 29, 5:02am
yes, the children and I had already decided peanuts wouldnt be suitable for granny teeth! . We have made 5x times our usual mix, so I think approx 20 baking trays, our first 2 trays are in now and they are smelling great!

dbab, Jul 30, 10:06pm
My husband loves peanut brownies, but with false teeth they can be difficult to eat. Now I just chop the peanuts fairly finely before adding to the mix (or I get him to do it if he's around! ). I guess I could do them in the food processor, but then that would be another thing to wash and dry.

nauru, Jul 31, 1:56am
This Russian slice recipe is very nice, it was posted by petal1955.

5 ozs butter
4 ozs sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
9 ozs flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg
3/4 cup sultanas
Melt butter, sugar and syrup in pot, stir until well mixed. Allow to cool, add beaten egg. Add flour and sultanans. Press into sponge roll tin and cook 1/2 hour, gas 4 or 350F degrees . Ice when taken from oven and cut into squares. We always had it iced with lemon icing.
**I have made this often and everyone likes it. I put flaked almonds on the top before baking and omitt the icing. I also add a little grated nutmeg and almond essence to the original recipe.

blt10, Jul 31, 2:23am
Goes off to try Nauru's Russian slice. Thanx will get back to you.

elliehen, Dec 12, 4:15pm
vintagekitty, next time make the choc chip cookies with some added rolled oats. . keeps them chewy, not too crisp, and there's good roughage in there for the old folks.