Mustard Sauce

susieq9, Jul 27, 2:59am
Made this my usual way last night to go with the corned beef and the sauce separated. Haven't had this happen before. Does anyone know why this might have happened. TIA Had egg, sugar, mustard, vinegar, stock from the corned beef, flour.

theanimal1, Jul 27, 3:20am
you may have either over cooked the sauce or your element was too hot?
Did you beat the egg, sugar , mustard separately first ? then slowly added the cooled fluid? I never use the fluid hot, i always wait for 5 mins first, but that was how i was shown 100 years ago lol

susieq9, Jul 27, 3:26am
Did the beating bit first, and the liquid wasn't boiling when adding it, but was hot.

245sam, Jul 27, 3:42am
susieq9, my thoughts are the same as these of theanimal1's but it's not a problem I've ever had. I cook the mustard sauce in the microwave after mixing the flour, sugar and dry mustard then adding the egg, liquid (direct from the crockpot so still hot) and vinegar. From memory I cook the sauce for about 5 minutes, stirring it every minute or so. :-))

susieq9, Jul 28, 3:09am
Will have to see what happens next time I cook the corned beef, for mustard sauce. Thanks all.

fisher, Jul 28, 4:50am
Hey susieq try this one next time. . make strong or weaker if you like. .
Mustard Sauce. . Beef ~ Corned Beef~ Pickled Pork
Ingredients:
1 tbsp melted butter. . 1 beef oxo cube. . 2 tbsp flour. . 3 tbsp of prepared mustard (as below). . 1 cup water from corned beef. . 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce. .
Method:
Melt the butter, then add the flour in saucepan off the heat / stir. . Stir oxo cube into corned beef water and then add to saucepan. .
Bring to boil turn down to low and cook until just thickens.
Then add prepared mustard and Worcestershire sauce, stirring to make the sauce. .
Variations:
2hot english mustard and 1 dijon
2dijon and 1 hot english mustard
1hot english mustard and 1 horseradish sauce

susieq9, Jul 28, 4:53am
Thanks fisher will give that a go next time. Maybe I should just stick to the fish! !

fisher, Jul 28, 10:10am
Mate and his dad go 40 miles out to the canyons up here. .
long time family spot so wont take me :{{
Bluenose (huge females. . one went 60 pound. . are heading north so leaving the smaller males on the pins for now)massive 40+ kg bass and some gem fish...
Trading fresh veges for melt in your mouth fresh fish. .
Gonna go out friday night to get a kingfish for smoker (mate got 24 other day. . all went back) and then stray line for some snapper. .
Gonna make that recipe of cookessentials . . :} Just gotta get some snaps first. . but got the heads up from a guy fishing the area. . :}

winnie231, Jul 28, 10:27am
I make mine in the microwave these days ... or miss 13 has been ... her 'job' apparently ... in a pyrex jug with ancient egg beater ...

beat the hell out of an egg & some sugar (see edmonds for quantities), ... add flour & mustard (miss grinds seeds with pestle & mortar because it tastes better in her books), ... add the vinegar & beat again then add the cooking water - slowly - last of all.
Zap & stir & zap & stir every 30 seconds for about 3 mins or until thick & cooked. Season to taste if needed - once cooked.

susieq9, Jul 28, 10:37am
Was going to go out fishing on Saturday, but they tell us we maybe in for big swells. So guess it might be back to the corned beef. Winter fishing hasn't been too good, but the few times we have been out came home with a feed of terakihi. Would be nice to get back into the groper again. 40 miles, too far out for me, especially in our 22ft boat. Good to do the trading though.

beaker59, Jul 28, 10:52am
Mustard for me is just a few tablespoons of Colemans and a splash or two of Malt vinegar not for the faint hearted but I Love it that way mostly on roast beef but also corned beef as well.

Being between contracts I am going to go down to Tongariro for a couple of days of trout fishing next week then when I get back maybe a week away on the boat fishing has been slow in the gulf though so may head either north or back of great barrier for a bit. Trouble is this time of year temptation is just to keep sailing for tonga and some warm tradewinds.

winnie231, Jul 28, 10:54am
But beaker59 - you would miss the hunting!

fisher, Jul 28, 11:04am
susieq... must be tough up here hehehehe
6. 1 metre Surtees Barcrusher is what they go out in...

beaker59, Jul 28, 11:23am
So true must get a bit of that to before I get sucked back into the working cycle. Maybe even sneak into the hills down at Taupo for a little look around for a deer.

beaker59, Jul 28, 11:25am
Had a 5. 5 Surtees for a while nice boats but a bit noisy on the water had an ingenious hinged hard top awesome for a bit of air on those hot days.

fisher, Jul 28, 11:42am
seem very popular. . as the IN thing but they now come with fixed hardtops. . too much the bucks for what you get... White pointer is nicer unit...

beaker59, Jul 28, 12:10pm
Yeah White pointers look the business but I have moved back to Keelers as I like to vary it a bit and spend more time on the water when I can escape though I have just got mobile internet so I can work at sea :)

susieq9, Jan 30, 6:14pm
Thanks fisher. Used your mustard recipe adding the English mustard and the Horseradish sauce. Very nice. Will freeze the rest of the sauce for next time. Hope that it will come out ok. Back to fish for awhile, when we catch some! Had some fresh terakihi a week ago though. Just pan fried it in oil and butter. Yummo.