Kumara Cake recipe please

griffo4, Jun 25, 6:35am
Does anyone have a nice kumara cake recipe please
my daughter tried one that had cream cheese icing and she wants me to make one but l don't have any recipes and we live in the kumara capital, lol
Could l use a carrot cake recipe (like Motueka one) and put kumara in?
TIA

245sam, Jun 25, 6:47am
griffo4, amongst a real assortment of kumara recipes there's a recipe on the following link for "spiced kumara cake with orange glaze":-

http://www.kumara.co.nz/recipes/cakes-sweets/index. shtml

and on the following link there's a recipe for "Kumara & Orange Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting":-

http://joseagar.com/recipes/category:desserts-and-puddings/k
umara-orange-cake-cream-cheese-frosting/

You may be interested to know that a few years ago I recall watching a kumara cake being made on TV and the chef emphasised that the kumara should be grated by hand and NOT in a food processor - I don't recall exactly what his reason for saying that was but for some reason it's something I just haven't forgotten.

Hope the above helps. :-))

griffo4, Jun 25, 7:41am
Thank you so much 245sam l will give them a try they look so nice and mouth watering
l only ever grate anything with the old hand grater so no worries about that one but thank you for letting me know about that

cookessentials, Jul 7, 11:30pm
How did you go with the kumara cake griffo? I do kumara and bacon muffins but have not used them in making a cake before-although have done a potato chocolate cake which was lovely and moist.

fruitluva2, Jul 7, 11:45pm
Interested to read results of griffo's kumara cake. Cooks your muffins sound nice, any chance of the recipe please?

griffo4, Jul 8, 8:02am
x1
What kumara cake l made one and it vanished so fast, lol and l have requests for more now
l made the moist kumara cake from Delta (l think) l will post recipe
Moist Kumara Cake
1 1/4 cups self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon each: ground cinnamon and nutmeg
1 1/4 cups peeled and grated kumara 140g, l used the gold ones
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil (grapeseed used by person who made this recipe)
450g can crushed pineapple, well drained

Preheat oven to 180C
Put flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl
ln a separate bowl beat together eggs, sugar and oil
Add wet ingredients with kumara and pineapple to dry ingredients
Mix well
Line a 25cm ring pan (l used a 23cm round tin) with baking paper and pour batter in
Bake for approx 30-35 minutes
Test with a skewer to see if cooked
Cool in pan

When cold ice with the following icing
1/2 cup sifted icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
125g cream cheese (original)
Sprinkle with chopped walnuts if desired
(The icing was a bit runny so maybe more icing sugar if it lasts that long, lol)

Cooks where will l find your kumara and bacon muffins recipe?

korbo, Jul 12, 7:35pm
does the kumera go black if put in food processor
the cake sounds nice. might make that today

griffo4, Oct 21, 10:14am
korbo l just use my old grater as there is not alot to grate so not sure about that
l made the Motueka grain and grape carrot cake using kumara and that was really nice as well so l would say you could use your favourite carrot cake recipe and substitute kumara for carrot