Dark, moist large carrot cake recipe please

chesty1, Aug 16, 6:25am
Can someone please share a carrot cake recipe. Thanks

245sam, Aug 16, 7:40am
chesty1, try doing a search here on the Recipes MB using carrot cake as the Keywords and Last year as the Date posted option. In the earlier threads you should find a good selection of recipes for you to choose from. :-))

marcs, Aug 16, 11:54am
What has happened to all the old cake threads. Looks like they have dropped off. What a shame, Anyway this one is off here. Was called Motueka Grape and Grain Carrot cake. It used to have Apricots and pumpkin seeds in it but I took it out. The icing is my creation.

CARROT CAKE

2 Cups of wholemeal Flour
2 Cups of castor sugar
2 tsp of Mixed spice
2 tsp Cinnamon
2 tsp of Bi-carb soda
1 Cup of Walnuts
1 Cup of Sultanas

750 grams Grated Carrots
1 & 1/2 Cups oil
4 eggs
2 tsp Vanilla

Note: the original recipe also included ½ cup pumpkin seed and 1 cup chopped dried apricot but I took this out and found it too much and added it as a decoration.

Mix all the dry ingredients together except, (carrots, oil, eggs, vanilla)
Add grated carrots, mix well.
Whisk up oil with the eggs and vanilla.
Fold carefully into the dry ingredients DO NOT OVER MIX. Use hands stops the over mixing.
Bake at 170c for 2 hours.

Frosting

250g cream cheese
2/3 cup castor sugar
125g soft unsalted butter
Rind of 1 lemon and 2 TBS (or more) of Lemon Juice

Beat cream cheese and sugar till soft and fluffy (The sugar will dissolve in the cream cheese). Add butter and beat in. Add rind and juice. Spread on top of cold cake and decorate with chopped apricots and walnuts and pumpkin (pepita) seed.

seedy4, Aug 16, 7:03pm
marcs wrote:
What has happened to all the old cake threads. Looks like they have dropped off. What a shame, Anyway this one is off here. Was called Motueka Grape and Grain Carrot cake. It used to have Apricots and pumpkin seeds in it but I took it out. The icing is my creation.

YUM !

griffo4, Aug 17, 6:31am
It makes a nice size 23cm cake from memory not sure about the flour l stick to the recipe and it is a really nice one

griffo4, Aug 17, 6:32am
l use your icing recipe for all my cream cheese cakes these days it is a good icing Thanks for sharing

marcs, Aug 19, 11:27am
I have made it with wholemeal flour only. Wholemeal is dry flour so absorbs the moisture which the white flour won't. Yes it makes a high 23cm cake so if you want it larger, you will have to double it. Sorry for the late reply. I live in Western Australia and with the time difference I sometimes can not reply quickly.

marcs, Aug 19, 11:29am
Glad you use it. I came across it by experimenting but I like the flavour you get out of it. It is not sickly sweet and you can taste the cream cheese. I even like the vanilla version as well which I put on top of my red velvet cupcakes.

schnauzer11, Aug 19, 1:21pm
That recipe looks almost identical to mine.A male work-mate brought it to a work farewell over 25 years ago, with prints of the recipe. It also works very well with zucchini.A rich, dark cake.I don't usually ice it for home-consumption.

wingee, Dec 15, 1:04am
Google Annabel Langbein's "carrot cake for a crowd" so easy to make and lasts for ages. I have never had a fail.