String beans

groomingtools, Mar 20, 9:36pm
At 64 my husband has planted his first vege garden. I hate string beans (my mother loved them). I am picking string beans every day so what can I do with them. I cant even cook them just for him as he is away so much. I do throw stuff in the freezer then cook it all up for vege soups but I dont want my freezers taken over by bags of beans

cgvl, Mar 20, 10:09pm
Neighbours, family or food banks or maybe if there is a soup kitchen type place give to them. I give away a heap of ours regularly, we only eat a handful at a time so our neighbours and friends who don't have gardens get quite a bit. Personally I don't like frozen beans, so we tend to eat what is in season/grow

lythande1, Mar 20, 11:39pm
I hated them for years. Until husband planted Shiny Fardenosa variety.
Mmm, nice.

But if you hate beans, recycle them back through his compost. No point in growing stuff you don't like to eat.

groomingtools, Mar 21, 7:10am
Any recipes please

tanya170, Mar 21, 7:17am
I lightly boil with not much water for a couple of minutes, tip the water out, throw in a clove of crushed garlic and a knob of butter, put back on heat and cook out for a little bit. Eat when still crunchy !

nauru, Mar 21, 9:01am
They are good in stir fries. I usually slice them along with julienne carrot, sliced onions, bean sprouts, sliced cabbage and sliced mushrooms. Stir fry with some ginger and garlic and add sesame seeds, nigella seeds and a few drops of sesame oil just before serving as a side dish or use with chicken or fish in wraps or filling as a for spring rolls.

bonnie66, Mar 21, 9:39am
I use a bean cutter (not sure if you can still buy them) free flow freeze them on a tray and then bag them up in meal size amounts. They keep well and we have them all year round.

nauru, Mar 22, 6:22am
I use mine for slicing too, great little tool to have if you like beans.

dibble35, Dec 18, 4:28am
Well I already have to many beans. again, you'd think id learn from the last couple of years. But my sister loves them and her vege garden is pretty dismal, so I grow them for her mainly. I'm going to try this recipe tonight, sounds simple and delicious. Any other bean recipes out there?
Anyone got a bean salad recipe that uses fresh beans as well. my dad would love that.

samanya, Mar 31, 8:53am
I'm not sure what exactly are 'string' beans . are they what I know as runner beans?
If so, personally I don't think they freeze that well, but i have made them into a pickle, so if you are into that sort of thing, google Nigel Slater's runner bean pickle, it's not too bad, imo.