Flounder, how to cook it

mango5, May 4, 3:29am
I have five whole flounder for tea tonight. I have never cooked flounder before. Do I fry it gently? I have no idea what to do with it.

abelco, May 4, 3:41am
hi season it in flour fry in butter about one minute a side injoy

mango5, May 4, 3:49am
thanks heaps.

rainrain1, May 4, 5:09am
Slash across 3 times in the thickest part of fish both sides, Then fry quickly in half butter and oil. They will take more than 1 minute a side... . . crispy skin and fins

mango5, May 4, 5:16am
ok. I'm ready now to cook some flounder, thanks.

beaker59, May 4, 6:17am
I've never scaled a flounder or slashed one for that matter so I think those are optional. But yes looove the crispy skin and fins.

fisher, May 4, 6:21am
yup do what rainrain1 said. . few wee slices in brown skin side... dredge in flour... sprinkle salt and white pepper. . into butter and a little oil. . cooking brown side first... fry till nice and crispy skin and fins and then turn over onto belly side for about two or so mins... set aside to rest and put a little more butter in the frypan with some fine chopped rosemary and parsley, some slivered almonds and some lemon juice. . stir all together and drizzle over the cooked flounder... .

rainrain1, May 4, 6:34am
Cooks quicker and more evenly if you slash... . . tried and true!

beaker59, May 4, 7:30am
I'm not rubbishing your Technique just saying I couldn't see a difference. I do fillet flounder when the big ones come around and then cook in a tempura type batter which is spectacular. I got one last year which was about 700mm long and the fillets fed 4 people from the one flounder. I like the sauce idea Fisher must try that.

fisher, May 4, 7:40am
cheers... I like flounder "as is"as you do ... floured, butter and oil but the drizzle of sauce can be a nice enhancement occasionally. .
just a nice subtle lift with the herbs and butter/lemon juice...

700mm now that's a biggun... just about my size. . lol:}

mango5, May 4, 7:47am
Ok, so I slashed it and floured it and fried it in butter and oil. It turned out that I didn't cook it for long enough (3 min each side) and we had to put them in a roasting tin in the hot oven. They were in there for about 6-8 min and then we ate them. They were delicious, albeit slightly overdone. One child devoured every last morsel. I will definitly get flounder again, but I will cook it for about 4-5 min each side.

chooky, May 4, 11:37am
Hubby cooks it on the barbque, tiny bit of oil, sea salt, yummy!

rainrain1, May 4, 7:30pm
Aren't they beautiful... . on the bone... only way to eat 'em :-)

holdnhrd, May 5, 7:05am
This rolling in flour, frying in butter although a well tried and very true method Im just going to blow this out of the water and nicely suggest to try flounder how my family have eaten it for years... Just wash clean put in a deep dish pan add full cream yup people I said full cream lol just till it covers the fish then cook on low to medium heat till cooked! You dont even have to turn them over and the best thing to do is grab a fresh chubby loaf and dip it in the cream when its cooked a bit of course... . Not very kind on the hips but the taste... . . youll never have it any other way again. . promise lol. (Add salt to taste as cooking) enjoy! ! ! ! ! ! !

fisher, May 5, 7:14am
Poached fish. . yup nice. . (stick a couple of bay leaves in the "cream" or maybe some chopped dill weed}
BUT. . I like the crispy fins and that butter fried taste... :}

crystalmoon, May 6, 1:53am
Ooohhhh holdnhrd what memories came flooding back when I read your post. Thats how my mum used to cook hers, MMmmmm I'm hungry for flounder now, Hav'nt had it in cream since I was young. Mmmmmmm... . off to see if any cream in fridge before going to see if any flounder at supermarket. I hope they have some. or may have to wait for the weekend fleamarket.

rainrain1, May 6, 2:38am
And I might nicely suggest that even the thought of cooking in cream turns my stomach ;-)

stormbaby, May 6, 2:40am
Awwww yum fisher, you just reminded me of all the camping we did as kids with Mum and Dad. Dad and the boys would catch them, bring them back in a big bucket and Dad would clean them. Mum had a special fry pan she would fry them in (always in butter) and I loved the crispy tails.

fisher, Apr 4, 5:41pm
stormbaby... I reckon a lot of the taste was not only because they were fresh caught and cooked, but things taste far better when camping. . we did the same... spearing at night and cooking up the following morning in a HUGE cast iron frypan with a bucket load of butter and herbs. . hmmmmm memories...