Anybody have a yummy lasagna recipe please?.

bev00, Jan 2, 10:40am
Try this one. really easy to make and tastes good.You can't go wrong with it.
Use the tortillas as your pasta sheets.The sundried tomato is nice.
Brown mince, onions, garlic, capsicum, add tin mexican tomatoes and depending on how spicy you like it, add all or some of taco seasoning packet.Layer up with tortilla on bottom, mince, tortilla etc until last tortilla is left on top.Make topping of equal quantities of sour cream and grated cheese, spread over tortilla and bake in 180 for about 30 mins or til golden brown. leave to stand before cutting.
I usually use the rectangle wholemeal tortillas and make a double lot of mince mix.
Sorry no exact quantities as i just make it on auto pilot!

tasmum (733 733 positive feedback) 5:56 pm, Tue 31 Dec #3
This recipe is from NZ’s Matriarch of home cooking, Dame Alison Holst. The result is a really good family style lasagne that takes 10 minutes to prepare. Best thing is that this recipe is always popular with children.

Lasagne Mixture
500g mince
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
425g can tomato puree
2 Tlb tomato paste (e.g. tomato concentrate)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 sachet tomato soup (e.g. Maggi tomato soup – the dried stuff)
1 tsp beef stock granules dissolved in 1 1/2 c hot water

1 c grated cheese
1/2 packet lasagna sheets (dried or fresh)

Cheesy Topping
1 egg
2 tsp cornflour
3/4 c milk or sour cream (or a mixture of both)
1 c grated cheese (tasty cheese works best, but use whatever you have)
1/2 tsp paprika

Step 1: Preheat oven to 180 degrees (normal bake)
Step 2: Spray or butter a large ovenware dish.
Step 3: In a large bowl combine all the ingredients for the lasagne mixture. Mix well.
Step 4: Ladle 1/3 meat mixture into bottom of dish and place layer of lasagne sheets over the top.
Step 5: Sprinkle 1/2 cup of grated cheese on top. Layer another 1/3 of the meat mixture, then lasagne sheets, then the other 1/2 cup of grated cheese.
Step 6: Place the remaining meat mixture over the top.
Step 7: Cover in tin foil. Bake in oven for 50 minutes.
Step 8: Combine the cheesy topping in a bowl and mix well. Remove the foil from the cooked lasange and pour over the topping, sprinkle paprika over the top, then bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden (whack the grill on if it needs a boost. !).
Step 9: Remove from oven and leave to stand for 10 minutes to ‘settle’ before serving.

Makes 8-12 squares (8 if feeding adults, 12 if there are little people eating too).

retired (13475 13475 positive feedback) 6:06 pm, Tue 31 Dec #4
Alison Holst make the easiest one I know & it's cooked in the microwave

macandrosie (237 237 positive feedback) 4:17 pm, Thu 2 Jan #5

bev00, Jan 20, 11:01am
This recipe is really yummy and you could always add mince if you wanted
4 eggplants
1/2 tsp salt
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
6 Tbsp freshly grated Parmigiano cheese
4 Tbsp ricotta cheese
¼ tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 egg, separated
¼ cup Macro Gluten free breadcrumbs
¼ tsp dried rosemary
¼ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp chopped oil packed sundried tomatoes
1 head roasted garlic freshly squeezed from skin
2/3 cup chicken stock
Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180°C.

2. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise, leaving the stems attached. Carefully score the flesh in a criss cross pattern about 5mm deep, making sure you don’t cut through the skin. Rub the cut surfaces with ¼ tsp salt. Set the eggplant halves, cut-side-down, on paper towels and allow moisture to drain for 15 minutes. Eggplant has quite a lot of moisture in it and doing this removes some of it.

3. Brush the cut surfaces of the eggplant with olive oil and place them, cut-side-down on a flat tray lined with baking paper and bake for 15 minutes. The eggplants will not cook completely through but the skin and flesh will just be softened. Cool for 30 minutes.

4. Preheat oven to 190°C.

5. Use a spoon to gently scoop the pulp from the partially cooked eggplants leaving about 5mm of flesh on the skins. Set the skin shells aside.

6. Place the flesh in a food processor. Add 2 Tbsp of the Parmigiano cheese, ricotta cheese, the remaining salt, pepper, egg yolk, breadcrumbs, tomato paste, herbs, sundried tomatoes and garlic. Pulse until the ingredients are just mixed, about 30 seconds.

7. Beat the egg white in a small bowl until stiff and gently fold into the eggplant mixture. Fill the eggplant skins with the mixture, mounding it slightly.

8. Place in a baking dish large enough to hold the 8 halves and pour the chicken stock around them. Sprinkle the stuffed eggplant halves with the remaining Parmigiano cheese and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.

9. Grate a little Parmigiano cheese over each half and cool for 5 minutes and then serve with a fresh seasonal green salad of your choice.

lcl2 (465 465 positive feedback) 1:25 pm, Sun 19 Jan #2

paora-tm, Jan 21, 6:06am
Cornflour cheese sauce! Blerk.

valentino, Jan 21, 6:26am
Blerk, that is a good one, lol.

It is just right for me, not over the top nor too far light.

Hoped you made it right, just make sure it really thickens before adding the cheese then putting on top of the lasagne is the key.

sarahb5, Jan 21, 8:20am
Don't you put the sauce between the layers? Mine has a layer of meat sauce (can also add a layer of spinach and/or sliced pumpkin), couple of spoonfuls of cheese sauce (basic white roux sauce with cheese), layer of lasagne sheets, thin layer of cheese sauce, repeat layers and cover with cheese sauce and grated cheese.

Always use barilla lasagne sheets - have tried others but not the same - only one better is fresh pasta.

valentino, Jan 21, 8:44pm
Just the meat sauce mixture sarahb5.

I'm quite happy and along with others whom dine with me that just the one layer of cheese sauce and that is the topping.

The real flavours of each section is maintained and is appreciated, of course one can mix it on their plate if they wish.

Yeah, fresh pasta is the way to go.

leebee35, Jan 22, 10:36am
I have very yummy one with pork mince and fennel. let me hunt that one out!

ruby19, Jan 22, 7:23pm
I haven't tried YET, but is on my to make list

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/24/mushroom-lasagne-yotam-ottolenghi

Will have to wait until my son is not home, as no matter how I try, I cannot get him to like mushrooms.

ruby19, Jan 24, 1:49am
Omg I have this in the oven now. If the "white sauce" is anything to go by it will be delicious! Certainly a special occasion recipe as it uses a few different cheeses, and porcini mushrooms

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/24/mushroom-lasagne-yotam-ottolenghi

Yum. Can't wait for dinner.

carol113, Jul 18, 8:06pm
TIA Carol

valentino, Jul 18, 8:49pm
This is quite simple to do but allow about 2 to 2 1/2 hours time in preparing, cooking, putting it together, then the bake then a resting time.
But very nice and freshly done with that nice fresh taste.
One thing though, find that Pams Pasta sheets go further than say Dalmaines. Cheers.

Lasagne ( still the best all-rounder ) serves 6-8

2 teaspoons olive oil,
1 large onion chopped,
2 carrots finely chopped,
2 celery sticks finely chopped,
2 zucchini finely chopped,
2 cloves garlic crushed,
500 grams lean beef mince,
2 x 400 grams cans of crushed tomatoes,
½ cup beef stock,
2 tablespoons tomato paste,
2 teaspoons dried oregano, and
375 grams instant or fresh lasagne sheets.

CHEESE SAUCE:
1/3 cup cornflour,
3 cups milk and
100 grams cheese grated.

Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frypan, add onion and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Add the carrot, celery and zucchini and cook stirring instantly for 5 minutes until the veges are soft (one may need to add a little beef stock liquid if too dry). Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Add the mince plus a little salt and pepper for personal taste, cook over very high heat stirring until well browned. Break up any lumps of meat with wooden spoon. Add the crushed tomato, beef stock, tomato paste and oregano to the pan and stir to thoroughly combine. Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently partially covered for 20 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent the mixture from sticking to the pan. Preheat the oven to moderate 180c, spread a little of meat sauce into a base of a 23cm X 30cm ovenproof dish. Arrange a layer of lasagne sheets, a layer of meat sauce, then a final layer of lasagne sheets.

To make the cheese sauce, blend a little of milk with the cornflour to form a smooth paste in a small pan. Gradually blend in the remaining milk and stir constantly over low heat until the mixture boils and thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the grated cheese until melted. Spread evenly over the top of the lasagne and bake for an hour.

Check the lasagne after 25 minutes. If the top is browning too quickly cover loosely with non stick baking paper or foil. Take care when removing the baking paper or foil that the topping does not come away with the paper or foil. Leave the lasagne to stand for 15 minutes before cutting into portions for serving.

STORAGE TIME: Can be frozen for up to 2 – 3 months. When required, thaw overnight in the refrigerator then reheat covered with foil for about 30 minutes in a moderate oven.

carol113, Jul 18, 9:12pm
Thanks valentine. recipe sounds really nice.I am going to make this recipe to leave in my friends fridge so they don't have to cook after a long flight. Do you think that I should just prepare it and they could cook it later or would it be ok if I cooked it then they reheated it later.Just asking as I did not want it to dry out. Cheers Carol

um.yea.nah, Jul 18, 9:57pm
We make this a lot its quick and easy and reheats well and most importantly its delicious.

http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Recipes/Mexicali-Lasagne

valentino, Jul 18, 10:03pm
Note the little note at bottom re storage.

Yes, it can be premade and reheated.
And best if the whole dish is completed as the heat through various stages helps when putting it together.

Couple of years ago made 3 as came out of hospital and made them as family and friends came in the evening to enjoy along with some Texas holdem later and went like a great treat.

Hopes this helps.

paora-tm, Jul 18, 10:54pm
I like to add spinach or silverbeet to a layer (or layers) but then I like to add spinach or silverbeet to lots of things. ie. Fettucine Carbonara

valentino, Jul 19, 12:26am
Oh, just re-read the recipe but is up to yourself, one can have 2 or 3 layers of pasta, the first one as read or another same as first layer then that final layer of pasta.

I normally do it with 3 layers of pasta with the middle layer usually with those smaller off cuts keeping the larger pieces for top and bottom layer.

Cheers and hopes this helps.

bev00, Aug 25, 11:48am
For the baked lasagne, you will need a double quantity of this béchamel sauce.
1 cup milk
1 slice of onion
5 black pepper corns
1 small bay leaf
1 small piece of celery ( don't always use the celery)
1 blade of mace ( a blade of mace is the red outer lacy covering of the mace pod - I just use ground mace and it works fine) I use about 1/4 tsp
30g butter
1 5 tbsp. flour
salt and freshly ground white pepper; nutmeg.

Heat the milk with the bay leaf, onion, peppercorns, celery and mace in a small heavy saucepan until bubbles form around the edge. Remove pan from heat, cover and let it stand twenty minutes. Strain and reserve the liquid. Wipe out the saucepan and add the butter. Melt butter gently, then add flour and stir in well for one minute over a low heat ( this is called a roux) Remove from heat and cool a little, then add strained milk and stir until smooth. Return to medium heat and stir constantly until boiling. Lower heat and cook very gently for five minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Makes about 1.5 cups so you need two lots of this for the lasagne. This is a great base for lots of other sauces including a cream sauce, caper sauce, parsley sauce etc.

cookessentials (1216 1216 positive feedback) 10:28 am, Sat 24 Aug #40
For the lasagne, you will need 1x quantity of fresh egg pasta ( I have the recipe if you want it) or 2x 250g packs of pre-cooked lasagne.
1x quantity of the Bolognese sauce above and half a cup of grated parmesan ( I have used other cheeses like a good vintage tasty before) If using bought pasta that is not pre-cooked, cook it for 15 minutes in boiling slated water. then pop into a colander and rinse under cold water ( to stop the cooking process) place the sheets on a clean cloth so they are not touching, and leave to dry( I have also used it straight out of the pack and it's fine)

Put a layer of Bolognese sauce on the bottom of a large, deep oven proof dish. Top with some of the béchamel sauce, then add a layer of pasta. Repeat layers until dish is full. ending with Bolognese, then béchamel sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan and bake in moderate oven ( 180C) for one hour or until heated through.
For a richer dish, you can add slices of mozzarella cheese after each layer of béchamel sauce. Sometimes a beaten egg is added to the last layer of béchamel sauce for a custard like topping. To be honest, it is pretty rich anyway and I have never added the extra cheese or the egg. I just serve with a green salad and some crusty bread on the side. I have been making this since about 1982 and it is the only lasagne I make ( apart from a lovely vegetarian one) it is an old Margaret Fulton recipe.

cookessentials (1216 1216 positive feedback) 10:39 am, Sat 24 Aug #41

battgirl, Aug 26, 3:31am
Here's my "healthy" lasange - a complete hit everyone who tries it.

Cook mince with a grated carrot and grated zucchini until browned. Add bottle of favourite pasta sauce.
Combine 1 large tub of lite cottage cheese with 1 standard tub of lite cream cheese (and some sour cream if you have some hanging about but don't need to but it special). Add a couple of clumps of frozen chopped spinach (thawed in microwave). Stir well and season to taste.

Layer half the meat mix with wholemeal pasta sheets, then spread half the "cheese" mix on top. Repeat. Sprinkle grated cheese over last "cheese" layer and cook at 180 degrees for 30mins or until golden brown.

So quick and easy and so, SO good.

gorsegully, Apr 25, 7:10pm
Here's a quick one
500g mince, 1 diced onion, 2 grated carrots, 1 tin chopped tomatoes.
Fry mince and onion, add carrots and tomatoes, season to taste.
1 250g pack cream cheese, mix in bowl with enough milk to make sauce consistency ( helps to warm cream cheese in microwave )
Layer mince mix, lasagne sheets , sauce. Top with cheese and put in oven 180 degrees till brown on top.