Fruit cake recipes please

jarjarbinks01, Sep 2, 8:00am
I am looking for different fruit cake recipes--I have one that was my grand-mother's recipe--but it is very heavy--and we've found as we get older it doesn't suit our tummies so much--I'm looking for a lighter but still moist fruit cake--thank you.

jarjarbinks01, Sep 2, 9:47am
Thank you very much--will have a look tomorrow--appreciate your help.

bev00, Sep 29, 8:30am
2 x 400g pkts mixed fruit (I remove those horrid "jelly" cherries
200g dark raisins (this is what I soak in rum)
150g pkt red glace cherries
125g butter
Three quarters cup muscavado sugar
1 tsp mixed spice
Half cup water
Half cup alcohol (sherry or brandy or rum) I just top up whatever jar I am using with the raisins
2 eggs
2tb marmalade
2 cups flour (I use High Grade)
1 tsp baking powder
Quarter tsp salt

Line a 20cm sq tin with baking paper. (I actually use a wooden box)Put fruit (except raisins) in large pan with butter, sugar, mixed spice and water.
Heat till butter melts, stir and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer uncovered for 3 mins. Let cool completely. I would add the soaked raisins at this stage.

Add eggs and marmalade and stir.

Sift in flour, b.p. and salt and mix well. Spoon into tin and flatten top.

Bake at 160C for 2 hours. When cake comes out of oven, cover with foil til cake is cold, then remove cake from tin. Wrap in thick foil and teatowel to store in dark place. I make a month ahead.

trah (49 49 positive feedback) 10:22 am, Tue 7 Jan #8
Hi,I have duck eggs,I just use them the same as a hens egg,and everything turns out fine.Have made a pavlova with them,didn't tell anyone i'd made it with duck eggs until it was all gone(and quickly too)best one they had ever eaten.here's a great fruitcake recipe.

12ozs butter 12ozs sugar mixed
boil 1.5 lbs of mixed fruit in 1 cup of water for 5 mis and let cool.
( to the butter/sugar add 6 duck eggs one at a time mix until smooth,then add
1tsp of vanilla essence
1tsp almond essence
1tsp lemon essence
1tsp orange essence
add the fruit then lastly add 18ozs of flour and 1tsp of baking powder.
This fits nicely into a christmas cake tin.Bake at 150 for 1& 1/2 hrs

littleblackhen (17 17 positive feedback) 11:12 am, Thu 26 Sep #2

marcs, Sep 29, 8:35am
Hubby said he didn't want the traditional fruit cake this year so thinking of making a light fruit cake that we can enjoy or a steamed pudding for desert at the Christmas table.

misash, Sep 29, 10:04am
I use almost the same simple recipe (1kg fruit soaked in 2 1/2 cups whole cream milk overnight then add, 2 3/4 cups of self raising flour in the morning). I also soak about a cup of walnuts in whiskey overnight and don't discard the whiskey and also add some allspice and cinnamon. It's a really great cake and so simple!

griffo4, Sep 30, 12:21am
Here is Alison's recipe and l make it every year one with orange juice and one with wine

Alison Holst's Golden Christmas Cake from Cooking for Christmas book
23cm round or square tin 2.25 kg cake
about 1 cup each cubed crystallised mango,papaya, pineapple, melon (l could not get melon so put in apple pieces or added extra of others above) a total of 1 kg
1 cup sultanas
1 cup dried cranberries or extra sultanas
1 cup white wine (l use about 2 cups, see below)
1/2 - 1 cup glace cherries
250 g butter
1 cup sugar
5 large eggs
1 cup ground almonds
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond essence
grated rind of 1 orange and lemon
1 1/2 cups high grade flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
Cut fruit into 5 mm cubes with scissor or a sharp knife
Add sultanas and cranberries
Now this is my part, l put all the fruit, including cherries, in a sealable plastic bag on the bench and pour in over 1/2 a bottle of wine and every time l walk passed l turn the bag over for 2 days and add more wine if needed to plump up the fruit
Alison's way is
Simmer fruit and wine in a covered frypan for five minutes or until nearly all the liquid is absorbed, then leave to stand in covered pan overnight or for 8 hours to soak up remaining liquid (Fruit will have a beautiful jewel like appearance) Stir in quartered cherries, if using
In a food processor or large bowl, beat the soft butter and sugar until creamy
Beat in eggs one at a time, adding a spoonful of ground almonds after each one
Beat in essences, remaining ground almonds and the finely grated citrus rinds, then sift in the flour and baking powder
Combine the cake mixture and the cold prepare fruit using your hand and spread the mixture evenly in prepared tin
Bake 150 C (140 C fanbake) for 45 minutes then at 130 C (120 C fanbake) for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs
Check with skewer
When cooled wrap loosely with baking paper then refrigerate ( I put in the freezer)
For best flavour leave a week before eating
Can be iced

murfee, Sep 30, 9:29am
Chelsea Winter has two yummy recipes in her books - one is called an unChristmas cake

edlin, Nov 24, 9:05pm
Not really a Christmas cake but looked at that way in our family - Pineapple Fruit cake
1 tine crushed pineapple 500gr. mixed fruit
1 cup sugar 100gr. butter
1 tsp. baking soda 1 tsp. mixed spice,cinnamon and ginger
Put all these ingredients in a large saucepan and boil for 3 mins. Cool.
Add 1 tbsp. brandy,2 beaten eggs and 2 cups of flour with 2 tsp. baking powder. Mix well and put into lined 20cm square tin. Cook for 90 mins at 170C,then turn oven off and leave for 20 mins in the oven. Remove and cool on a rack. Never fails. Great to give as a gift. I give them to a couple of people who live alone and wouldn't bother making a cake like this. They cut it into three and freeze the other two pieces and apparently it works well

dougal_10, Nov 24, 9:16pm
this is a easy moist fruit cake
1 kg mixed fruit
750 mls iced coffee
2 cups self raising flour
METHOD;
Soak the fruit in the coffee for 24 hours
Add flour and mix well
Bake in tin 8x8 inch lined tin
Bake for 1 hour at 150 degrees cel

bev00, Dec 11, 10:11am

marcs, Dec 11, 10:38am
This is my mums recipe. She uses pams mixed fruit as she finds them the best and moist. She uses a wooden spoon and not a mixer to make this. Brings back memories of childhood.

Mums Fruit Cake

2 Cups Self Raising Flour
¾ cup raw sugar (or raw castor sugar)
500g mixed fruit soaked in ¼ cup Brandy
¾ cup milk
3 eggs (size 7 or 8)
1 tsp vanilla
125g butter

Do all with hand
Beat butter and sugar until well combined. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Mix flour and fruit together and fold gently in along with milk and vanilla. Fold only till combined. Bake at 180°c (160°c fan forced) for 1 hour to 1 ½ hour till cooked. (Check at 50 minutes) Used a 20cm tin well lined.

valentino, Dec 11, 7:23pm
Diabetic Christmas Cake

Ingredients
3 cups mixed dried fruit
½ cup pitted dates
1 can of apricots or peaches in juice not syrup
¼ cup cold tea
Zest of an orange
1½ tsp mixed spice
¾ tsp cinnamon
3 eggs beaten
2¼ tsp baking soda
1/3 cup sliced almonds
2 cups self-raising flour
16 whole almonds for decorating
1 tsp melted butter

Method

Place the dried fruit in a large saucepan add the spices, juice from the canned fruit and orange zest. Chop the dates and canned fruit into small pieces and add to the pan with the cold tea. Bring to the boil stirring frequently for 1-2 minutes then cool.

Heat the oven to 170°C and grease and line an 18 cm square cake tin. When cool add the beaten eggs, almonds, baking soda and flour to the fruit and quickly combine. Stir well to ensure no floury pockets in the mix. Quickly pour into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour or until dark golden and well risen. A skewer inserted into the cake should come out clean.
If the cake browns too quickly place a double layer of paper over the top to protect it.

When cooked, cool for a few minutes in the tin then turn out, brush the top with melted butter to add a little shine.

Special Diabetic Fruit cake
It contains no butter, added sugar or salt - a great way for everyone to celebrate Christmas! The fruit content of this cake does affect blood glucose levels – cut into the number of pieces outlined in the recipe and limit to one serving per meal or snack.

Ingredients
1 kg mixed dried fruit
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup nuts
2 cups wholemeal flour
2 tablespoons gluten flour or extra flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3 eggs
1/4 cup slivered almonds
2 tablespoons sherry
For mixed dried fruit use any combination of the following dried fruits: dried fruit mixture, sultanas, raisins, prunes, currants, dried apricots, peaches, nectarines, dried apples, dried mango etc.
Chop or cut (with scissors) large pieces of fruit into pieces the size of sultanas. Put them in a tough, heatproof plastic bag and pour the boiling water and then the orange juice over them.
Close the bag, leaving an opening of about 2cm unsealed, lie fairly flat in the microwave and cook on High (100% power) in 1 minute bursts, until the fruit is hot. Turn the bag over after the first minute, making sure the liquid can't escape.
When the fruit is hot, take the bag out of the microwave and lie it on a cold surface to cool to room temperature. Leave overnight or for at least 2 hours, to cool and soak up the liquid.
Turn the oven on to 160 ° C or 150 ° C fan-bake with the rack below the middle.
Line the bottom and sides of a 20cm square (22CM ROUND) cake tin with baking paper.
When you are ready to mix the cake, chop the nuts finely and put them in a large container with the wholemeal flour, gluten flour (if available) and the baking powder. Mix thoroughly.
In a mixing bowl large enough to hold everything, beat the eggs until thick and fluffy with a rotary beater. Add the cold fruit mixture and the dry mixture. Mix with a clean hand until everything is thoroughly combined. If about a cupful of mixture seems to be too dry to drop from your hand, add 2-3 tablespoons extra water or sherry.
Put the mixture into the cake tin by hand, pushing it evenly into the corners. Level off the top with a damp hand. Sprinkle evenly with the slivered almonds. Bake, starting testing the cake after 1 1/4 hours. It usually takes about 1 1/2 hours until a skewer pushed into the centre of the cake comes out clean, is ready.
Stand the hot, cooked cake on rack. Sprinkle or brush the surface of the cake with 2 tablespoons of sherry for extra flavour.
When cold, wrap the cake in greaseproof paper and a tea towel, and store in the fridge for a least several days before cutting or freeze strips (see below) in airtight plastic bags, up to 3 months.

Note; Can cut the cake into 1cm x 4cm slices, Cut the cake into five strips of equal width, then cut each of these crossways into about twenty 1cm slices.

valentino, Apr 24, 9:10am
The above two cakes are on my to do list very shortly after ready so many different recipes with low sugar count.

Be interested what others think or do.

I do have quite a few tried Cake recipes but need to switch to low sugar or diabetic ones, hmmm.

Cheers