BBQ hot plate liners - opinion

Page 1 / 2
meoldchina, Dec 14, 8:57am
Are reusable BBQ hot plate liners worth buying?

kiwiscrapper1, Dec 14, 9:29am
Yes! We have had one for years cooks everything well and keeps the plate clean, just wash in hot soapy water.

meoldchina, Dec 14, 6:14pm
Pleased to hear it. Now I know what to get brother-in-law for Christmas.

wendalls, Dec 14, 6:32pm
Does the food get the same appearance and taste as if it was cooked off the cast iron? I used baking paper the other night as some rodent or large insect keeps pooping on our BBQ and its gross! Iended up burning my hand as it was windy and the paper with hot juices whipped up and got me when i took the food off.

awoftam, Dec 14, 6:37pm
I was suspicious about them for ages lol however have been using them for a few years now and yip, food is like it came off the plate.

chookpan, Dec 14, 8:42pm
Tried them but prefer the non stick tin foil.

cccc3, Dec 16, 8:37am
I found that it blew around in the wind.

socram, Dec 16, 8:48am
Just paint a little oil on the plate first and the silicon liners stick nicely to the plate. They peel off afterwards and are a doddle to wash in hot soapy water.

Brilliant for any meats that may have a sticky or gooey marinade or even fish, so that it doesn't taint.

awoftam, Dec 16, 8:54am
Like my dad's undies. Must have been a tornado to blow the liner off the plate with meat on it lol. and if it was that windy it would have been hard to get the plate hot enough to cook anyway?

flame63, Dec 16, 9:09am
Be really careful using them if it is windy. my partner received burns from one when it blew off bbq - not good, the hot oils that collect on them make them stick.

jaybee6, Dec 16, 1:51pm
I use them on my electric fry pan also. They are great.

jofes, Dec 16, 3:40pm
Can you buy these in a supermarket ?

meoldchina, Dec 16, 7:12pm
I have seen them for sale in Mitre 10 Mega and even the cheap $2-type shops have them.

yachtie3, Dec 18, 3:13am
Cough cough BULLSHIT! Might as well cook in inside in a non stick pan.

awoftam, Dec 18, 5:40am
Wow, why so angry?

I disagree.

Perhaps you went cheap and it stewed your meat.

samanya, Dec 18, 5:44am
That's a positive comment! (not)
What is your opinion on BBQ hot plate liners? Have you ever used one & how did you find it?

wendalls, Dec 18, 10:12am
I tried a new one tonight. It was windy, so having learnt my lesson with baking paper and a burn that is still with me, I placed something heavy( the utensil that lifts the hot plate) on one side of mine, as when you take all the meat off, it would blow away before you can deal with it splattering hot fats everywhere.( a small breeze does it actually. ) Quite happy with the result.

wendalls, Dec 18, 10:14am
I would like to know how safe the plastic is though. I'm assuming it's not going to poison us all.

yachtie3, Dec 19, 4:45am
Being somewhat of a bbq expert, I ate off one once and vowed never too again, solely for lazy buggers who cant prep their cast iron surface, just don't bother and cook inside.

yachtie3, Dec 19, 4:47am
And that's the other thing!

awoftam, Dec 19, 5:03am
You are using plastic liners? That seems odd.

stickman100, Dec 19, 5:05am
Four BBQ Hotplate Liners $15.99 + shipping from $6.00
http://www.dealaday.co.nz/dailydeal/7025/four_bbq_hotplate_liners

awoftam, Dec 19, 5:06am
So you tried something once and that's it. one might think you give up too easily. As for calling those that use them lazy buggers well, shows what you (don't) know. You so sound like my dear old father. Seriousl-
y tho, there are different types; I have had different experiences with different sorts, some are far better than others.

samanya, Dec 19, 5:54am
Yep, mr/ms expert BBQ master . I can sort of understand your stance . bet you are a joy to live with, being so good at BBQs'n all that ;o)
OMG, extrapolate that "try it once, don't like it, so never try again rationale' a little . the mind boggles (was your first sexual experience wonderful)?
*sniggers*

samanya, Dec 19, 5:59am
I humbly apologise to those sensitive souls, who may be offended by my mention of the 's' word, in recipes . but sometimes ya just have to put up comparisons . seasons greetings.