Anzac Recipes

Page 1 / 2
unknowndisorder, Apr 10, 7:34am
bumping for anne1955 and others looking for ANZAC recipes :)

toadfish, Apr 20, 8:22pm
I'll start - this was in this mornings Herald by Donna Hay - thought I would post it here so it doesn't get lost.

Anzac caramel slice. Photo - Donna Hay Magazine

Makes 20

• 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
• ½ cup desiccated coconut
• ½ cup brown sugar
• 220g unsalted butter, melted
• 1 cup shredded coconut
• 1 cup rolled oats
• 1/3 cup golden syrup
• 1 x 380g can store-bought caramel filling or dulce de leche, softened

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Place the flour, desiccated coconut, sugar and 140g butter in a bowl and stir until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Using the back of a spoon, press the mixture into the base of a 20cm x 30cm tin lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.

2. Place the shredded coconut, oats, golden syrup, and remaining butter in a bowl and mix to combine. Spread the caramel over the cooled base and spoon over the oat topping.

3. Bake for a further 20-25 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares to serve.

cookessentials, Apr 20, 11:36pm
This is an Annabelle White recipe for Anzac Cake.

For the cake:

125g butter, softened

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla essence

85g ground almonds

3 Tbsp cocoa

½ cup shredded coconut

½ cup chopped dried apricots

11/2 cups self-raising flour

320g or 11/4 cups traditional sour cream

125ml (1/2 cup) espresso or strong black coffee

For the topping:

150ml water

1 cup sugar

4 tbsp golden syrup

80g butter

1 cup flaked almonds

½ cup shredded coconut

½ cup rolled oats

1. Preheat the oven to 180 deg C or 160degC fan bake and grease and line a 26cm cake tin.

2. Cream the butter and sugar together until thick and pale, then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and mix well to combine.

3. In a separate bowl, mix together the almonds, cocoa, coconut, chopped apricots and flour.

4. Fold half the flour mixture into the batter with the sour cream and combine gently. Add the remaining flour mixture with the coffee and mix well.

5. Bake for 1 hour until puffed and cooked through.

6. Meanwhile, place the water and sugar in a small saucepan and heat gently while stirring to dissolve the sugar granules. When the mixture begins to boil, stop stirring and simmer for ten minutes, brushing down the sides of the pan with a pastry brush. When the mixture is pale gold, remove from the heat and stir in the golden syrup, butter, almonds, coconut and rolled oats and stir thoroughly, returning to the heat if necessary to help you mix the ingredients well. After the cake has cooked for one hour, remove from the oven and pour this mixture over the cake, then return to the oven for 10 minutes or until the topping has set.

Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Use a knife to loosen any toffee from the sides of the tin, then remove the cake and cool completely on a wire rack.

Cook’s tip: make this in the larger cake tin otherwise the topping boils over in your oven!

cookessentials, Apr 20, 11:37pm
Anzac Crumble
Give this family-favourite pudding a make-over with this variation inspired by our much-loved Anzac biscuit.

Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Serves: 6-8

Ingredients:

4-6 apples, cored, peeled and sliced
1 cup flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup desiccated coconut or finely chopped hazelnuts
100 grams butter or margarine, softened
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 tablespoon boiling water
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180C. Pile the apples into an 8 cup-capacity oven-proof dish.

Into a bowl put the flour, rolled oats, sugar and coconut or hazelnuts, rub in the butter or margarine and make a well in the centre. Stir together the golden syrup, boiling water, vanilla and baking soda; pour into the well and toss all the ingredients together.

Scatter over the apples and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until the apples are cooked and the crumble golden.

Variations

Use seasonal fruits or combinations such as apple and feijoa or rhubarb and tamarillo or peach and apricot or pear and apple.

cookessentials, Apr 20, 11:48pm
A great recipe for ANZAC Muffins from kidspot.com.au

1 1/4 cups milk
100g butter
4 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1 egg
1/2 cup brown sugar (topping)
1/2 cup rolled oats (topping)

Method:

In a medium saucepan, heat the milk with the butter and golden syrup. Bring to the boil and whisk in the baking soda. Set aside to cool.

Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper and set aside.

In a bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, brown sugar and coconut.

Whisk the egg into the milk and butter mixture.

Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, folding until just moist. Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cups.

In a bowl, combine the brown sugar and rolled oats for the topping. Spoon topping evenly over each muffin cup. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Cool in the tin for 5 mins and then let cool on a wire rack.

Notes
Make sure your milk and butter mixture is cooled well before you add the egg, otherwise you will just get scrambled eggs.
Do not over mix the ingredients as over mixing creates a “tough” muffin

aof, Apr 21, 4:45am
Chocolate Anzac Biscuits (from chelsea sugar site)- after making these you will never make the ordinary anzac biscuit again)

Ingredients

1 cup flour
¾ cup Chelsea Organic Sugar
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup diced dried apricots
½ cup dark chocolate bits
¼ cup shredded dried coconut
3 Tbsp Chelsea Golden Syrup
120g melted butter
1 tsp baking soda

Method

Preheat oven to 190°C conventional or 170°C fan bake.
Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl, mix till combined.
Place 1 tablespoon of mixture onto the greased baking sheet, press down with fork.
Bake for 12 minutes.

bev00, Apr 23, 10:22am
ANZAC biscuits

100g butter

2 Tbsp Golden Syrup

1/2 cup Sugar

1/2 tsp baking soda

2 Tbsp boiling water

1/2 cup plain flour

1/2 cup coconut

3/4 cup Rolled Oats

1/3 cup mixed seeds(sunflower & pumpkin seeds)

Method

Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Grease or line baking trays.

In a large saucepan melt butter with Golden Syrup and Raw Sugar
over a low heat. Remove from heat and set aside.

Dissolve baking soda in water, add to saucepan with the remaining
ingredients, stir until thoroughly mixed.

Put tablespoonfuls of mixture onto baking tray allowing enough
room for them to spread, flatten gently with a fork.

Bake for approximately 12 mins or until golden.

Makes: 15 large biscuits.

Quotepam.delilah (682 ) 4:30 pm, Thu 23 Jun #

daleaway, Apr 24, 1:16am
I think a true Anzac recipe would be bully beef eaten out of a mess tin.

The last few years people seem determined to turn Anzac Day into yet another Festival of Sugar. Why?

cookessentials, Apr 24, 1:18am
So, give us a recipe then, that is what the thread is all about and if you have such a recipe, we would love you to share.

daleaway, Apr 24, 1:31am
You don't need a recipe for bully beef - it was supplied by the can to members of the armed forces.
Fill your boots - be my guest:
http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=bully+beef&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=UeR1UYfxIs6yigLZv4DADw&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1108&bih=597

mjhdeal, Apr 24, 1:32am
The last few years? Haven't ANZAC biscuit recipes been knocking around since the 1920s?

tets, Apr 24, 1:42am
An Anzac biscuit is a sweet biscuit popular in Australia and New Zealand made using rolled oats, flour, desiccated coconut, sugar, butter, golden syrup, baking soda and boiling water. Anzac biscuits have long been associated with the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) established in World War I.

It has been claimed the biscuits were sent by wives to soldiers abroad because the ingredients do not spoil easily and the biscuits kept well during naval transportation.

Biscuits issued to soldiers by the Army, referred to as "Anzac tiles" or "Anzac wafers", differ from the popular Anzac biscuit. Anzac tiles and wafers were hard tack, a bread substitute, which had a long shelf life and was very hard.

cookessentials, Apr 24, 2:07am
Yes, they have been around for a very long time. This IS the recipe section and nothing wrong with some sweet ANZAC recipes, I am not quite sure why such negativity.

daleaway, Apr 24, 2:54am
Anzac biscuits were not called that till after the war I believe. Nowhere have I quesitioned their history, though they were certainly not a confectionery item as originally made, as tets points out.

However the sugary "Anzac" confections which have started to appear in the last few years are just modern recipes which have rolled oats or golden syrup in them. The connection is a bit tenuous.

What I cannot understand is why people would want to attribute an Anzac connection to modern recipes which have no historical authenticity whatsoever. Or why a solemn day of remembrance has to be turned into a massive sugar festival in the way that Easter has gone.

Unless it's a case of female cooks wanting to participate in this totally blokey national war memorial day - that I could understand.

Just trying to fathom the national psyche, and keep things real.

mjhdeal, Apr 24, 3:12am
Really? Totally blokey? Forgive my asking, but may I assume you are neither Australian nor NZer?

bedazzledjewels, Apr 24, 3:18am
Blokey? My 95 yearold MIL has just gone to an early Anzac service wearing her medals.

valentino, Apr 24, 3:24am
Interesting Thread, recipes and poems, very interesting to keep going.

davidt4, Apr 24, 3:25am
According to Alexa Johnston, who is an historian and an expert on NZ baking, ANZAC biscuits were first named in 1919, after the end of WW1. The early versions were much plainer and less sweet than the sugary ones that are made these days and included wholemeal flour and walnuts. There may well have been similar biscuits sent to the soldiers but they were not called ANZAC biscuits.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 24, 3:38am
Here's a reduced carb version of Anzac biscuits but I'm sure you could reduce, or even leave out the honey. I'll try them soon. From the Merrymaker Sisters site -

1 cup almond meal
1 cup unsweetened desiccated/shredded coconut
1 cup walnuts chopped (the original recipe uses almonds)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. water

Preheat oven to 120 degrees celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
In a large mixing bowl place the almond meal, coconut and walnuts and mix together.
In a small sauce pan (or you can use your microwave) melt the coconut oil and honey together.
Take the sauce pan off the heat and add the baking powder and water, stir together until it foams and turns a white-ish colour.
Transfer this in to the dry ingredients and mix well until combined.
Take tablespoon-fulls of mixture, firmly roll in to balls, place on to the baking tray and flatten.
Place the tray in to the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Allow to cool and harden, then enjoy with a nice cup of tea!
Store in an airtight container for around 5 days.

mooshiesmum, Apr 24, 3:56am
Great to see these recipes - I have just made a batch freshly out of the oven so interesting to see the different recipes. Thought some of you might be interested in this article regarding Anzac biscuits and their history - might be that the biscuits themselves were made here at home to fundraise rather than be sent overseas.

http://www.armymuseum.co.nz/kiwis-at-war/did-you-know/the-anzac-biscuit/

toadfish, Apr 24, 7:16am
*throws hands in the air*

I think you take things too seriously. I found a delicious looking recipe in the weekend Newspaper. Thought mmmmm other people might like to see this. Its a combination of my 2 favourite things. Anzac Biscuits and caramel slice. So I posted it on a board designed to share recipes. The chance of me ever making this on Anzac day to celebrate Anzac Day are probably 1 million to one. The chance of me making this one day when I feel like something indulgent far more likely.

Was I trying to turn Anzac Day into a Sugar Fest?. hardly. in fact I could hand on heart say it would have been the furthest thing on my mind.

Laughable.

figjamto, Apr 24, 8:44am
Not sure that I agree with you but I do see your point, personally I am a supporter of Anzac Day. the hardship and sacrifice given in all the wars by these men and woman should never be forgotten. I would not call it a "festival of sugar" as such. Anzac biscuits were made by the wives and girlfriends of the men sent to the battle fronts. they kept well in tins until they reached there destination which would have been a welcome change from the bully beef rations that I am sure they would not have wanted us to endure, after all they fought and died for all the freedoms we are able to enjoy today

lurtz, Apr 24, 10:39pm
Absolutely.

cookessentials, Apr 24, 10:41pm
I agree. And nothing wrong with a sweet treat that was eaten by our long gone loved ones who fought for us, giving us the opportunity for good lives and to be here and able to bake!

lurtz, Apr 24, 11:42pm
Exactly! There are many ways to honour ANZAC day, and baking to remember is just one way of doing so. I came across a nice little poem called "A soldier's Message" in Aunt Daisy's scrapbook. I won't quote the entire poem, however here's one verse. I realise that it's not entirely relevant to the discussion, however it does seem to highlight how important the homely things were to the ANZAC men and women.

"Still bake the pies, as it might be,
That I were coming home to tea.
Still plant the garden round about
Still grub the sturdy thistles out
And stake the blue delphinium
As if this war had never come."