Anzac Recipes

Page 2 / 2
cookessentials, Apr 25, 12:02am
That's lovely.

jerrytravis, Apr 25, 12:03am
lol. my grandfather who served in North Africa, used to me tales of eating Bully Beef, and 'dog biscuits' soaked in hot water and condensed milk called 'Biscoo'. being a young chap and intrigued by the 'dog biscuits' part, i would rob my pet labrador's dinner bowl for an ocassional snack of TUX. hmm not too bad either.

cookessentials, Apr 25, 1:09am
Found some lovely poems fro ANZAC day, so I am sharing.

A Tribute to ANZAC Day

With their hair a little whiter, their step not quite so sure
Still they march on proudly as they did the year before.
Theirs were the hands that saved us, their courage showed the way
Their lives they laid down for us, that we may live today.

From Gallipoli's rugged hillsides, to the sands of Alamein
On rolling seas and in the skies, those memories will remain.
Of airmen and the sailors, of Lone Pine and Suvla Bay
The boys of the Dardenelles are remembered on this day.

They fought their way through jungles, their blood soaked desert sands
They still remember comrades who rest in foreign lands.
They remember the siege of old Tobruk, the mud of the Kokoda Trail
Some paying the supreme sacrifice with courage that did not fail.
To the icy land of Korea, the steamy jungles of Vietnam
And the heroic battle of Kapyong and that epic victory at Long Tan.

Fathers, sons and brothers, together they fought and died
That we may live in peace together, while at home their mothers cried.
When that final bugle calls them to cross that great divide
Those comrades will be waiting when they reach the other side.

Ken Bunker

cookessentials, Apr 25, 1:14am

cookessentials, Apr 25, 1:17am
A Poem for Remembrance Day

"The inquisitive mind of a child"

poppyWhy are they selling poppies, Mummy?
Selling poppies in town today.
The poppies, child, are flowers of love.
For the men who marched away.

But why have they chosen a poppy, Mummy?
Why not a beautiful rose?
Because my child, men fought and died
In the fields where the poppies grow.

But why are the poppies so red, Mummy?
Why are the poppies so red?
Red is the colour of blood, my child.
The blood that our soldiers shed.

poppyThe heart of the poppy is black, Mummy.
Why does it have to be black?
Black, my child, is the symbol of grief.
For the men who never came back.

But why, Mummy are you crying so?
Your tears are giving you pain.
My tears are my fears for you my child.
For the world is forgetting again.
Author - Unknown.

lurtz, Apr 25, 1:33am
Two lovely poems cooksessentials. Thanks for posting them.

daleaway, Apr 25, 1:44am
Assuming I am not a New Zealander is a prejudiced jump to the entirely wrong conclusion. Why would you assume that?
My family is now into its 8th generation in this country, and I have seen a lot more Anzac days than most of the posters here.

Yes, I do take Anzac Day seriously. I take war pretty seriously too. I do indeed like to remember and respect the old WWI soldiers, as I knew quite a few of them in earlier years and remember very well how New Zealand used to commemorate the Anzacs in the 1940s and 50s and 60s, when many of them were still living. The old soldiers drank themselves into a stupor and wept all day, and the rest of us were very, very quiet and kept clear of them. War was a reality for them, loss and grieving were a major part of Anzac Day. Those who died were their brothers and best friends, or even sometimes their sons. It was - absolutely - all about the men. And those men had very mixed feelings about the futility of sacrifice. Some would not even accept their medals.

Today the atmosphere has changed. The Anzacs are not real people to us, because that generation has all died off and all we have are media re-creations of legends and superheroes, which they were not. Australian and NZ governments have had to tell youngsters not to go to Gallipoli for a party. And patriotism seems to have dwindled into something akin to supporting a sports team. I worry about patriotism, it's a tricky beast at the best of times.

Eat all the sugar you like, honestly, I have no problem with that, on Anzac Day or any other time - it's your body after all and I've put plenty of sugary recipes up here myself in the past.

But please don't try to annex an honourable name that sugary self-indulgence doesn't have a right to, and don't trivialise death with cakes and party food. Trying to commemorate self-sacrifice with self-indulgence is a bit illogical, isn't it? It's just not knowing your own country's history.

And if the fluffbrained Aussie women's magazines and sugar companies are "at this caper" (as my old soldier Dad used to say) of devising inauthentic so-called "Anzac" recipes for commercial reasons, the shame is all theirs. I see no need to join them.

cookessentials, Apr 25, 1:48am
Oh dear, we really don't need this sort of negative post do we?

MY ANZACS are real people to me! dear family members whose memory never fades, who are spoken about with love and tenderness. I actually take offense that we are trivialising death with cakes and "party food" my goodness, how a thread can turn so negative is beyond me.

cookessentials, Apr 25, 1:49am
You are welcome lurtz

daleaway, Apr 25, 1:50am
Death is not usually a joyful business.

cookessentials, Apr 25, 2:32am
Who said it was? I think you are making a negative mountain out of a fairly innocent thread. We march every ANZAC day for my husbands dad, his Grand Father and his Great grandfather and his brothers. We go to the soldiers cemetery and place our poppies on a soldiers grave, so no, it is not joyful. However, we are talking baking here. I think if you want to have a thread on death and dying in the war, then maybe you could start a thread about it.

mjhdeal, Apr 25, 4:28am
I assumed that because you said that ANZAC day is a "totally blokey national war memorial day" - which comes across like you were trivialising it. I knew of no other way to interpret that comment.

hezwez, Apr 25, 6:18am
To enlarge on this, the hakari (or feast) is an expected part of a tangi. After washing hands when leaving the urupa, the partaking of food and drink is an important part of becoming noa, or common, again, rather than remaining tapu.

lynja, Apr 25, 6:49am
thanks for the recipe aof. I made your recipe and some original ANZAC biscuits today. The recipe you posted is delicious!

bev00, Apr 25, 9:14am
More Anzac biscuits for the troops
2 cups flour
2 cups rolled oats
2tsp baking powder
250 grams butter
2 cups coconut
2 tabs golden syrup
2 cups sugar
4 tabs hot water
1 tsp baking soda

Blend together dry ingredients in a large bowl
Add Syrup Melted butter
Mix the Baking soda in with the hot water and add to the bowl
Roll into dessertspoon size balls and press with a fork
Bake at 180°C for 10-15 mins or until golden.

BEST RECIPE EVER! and easy, and just make sure you dont over cook them =o)

Quotecarchic (675 ) 1:34 pm,

juliewn, Apr 25, 9:44am
This is delicious.

Make your favourite Anzac Biscuit recipe, then spread the mix in a greased or baking paper lined slice tin, and press it down. bake as usual. once cooked, sprinkle quickly with chocolate chips. leave them a few moments to melt, them spread them over to make a topping. sprinkle with coconut or chopped nuts. cut into squares or rectangles.
If just cooked, the result is a chewy slice, or cook longer for a crisp result.

cookessentials, Oct 18, 12:16am
Thanks to bev for including this recipe and to carchic for the original post. Thanks to toadfish for the great thread, much appreciated. Have not made ANZAC biscuits in years and yesterday decided to make the recipe above ( DH's Dad LOVED ANZAC biscuits) so decided to make them. Went to the cenotaph and then the local cemetery where we left our poppies on the graves of soldiers. a very poignant day