Boiled, Moist Sultana Cake

clair4, Feb 18, 7:14pm
Have a couple of recipes, but they seem dry.Have you a good recipe to share.It is nice to have something in the cupboard when feeling peckish.

coniproducts, Feb 18, 10:11pm
An old Womans Institute recipe I make is as follows:Boil one packet of sultanas for about 5 minutes until nice and plump.Drain then add to the pot while the sultanas are still hot 250gm diced butter and let melt.Meantime beat together 3 eggs with 21/2 cups sugar until pale.Add the fruit and butter mixture and essences (about tsp each vanilla and lemon or orange).Mix well then add 3 cups flour sifted with 1 tsp baking powder.Pour into a foil lined large cake tin and bake for about 1 hour (test with skewer and cook a little longer if necessary)

reta2, Feb 18, 10:40pm
From A Good Spread, Never fail sultana cake (and it hasn't for me yet)! :
1cup water, 1 dessertspoon cornflour- bring to boil & set aside.
225 gm butter, 225 gm sugar, cream then add 2 large eggs or 3 small plus 1 teaspoon vanilla essence. Mix in 350gm Flour, 1 tsp of baking powder & 350 gms sultanas (or can do fruit mix too for luncheon type cake) Once this is all mixed finally add the cornflour, water mix & combine together. Oven 170 for 50-55min (although I have found 155 fanbake on my oven better for just over 1hr)

clair4, Feb 19, 5:22am
Thank you.I have copied these recipes.

firemansgirl, Feb 19, 6:21am
Um. what size packet of sultanas!

coniproducts, Feb 19, 10:26pm
Ooops, sorry firemansgirl.I think they are about 450gms.just the normal sized Cinderella or Pams sultanas.not the kilo bags.